What is the best way to obtain the direct streaming URL from LiveTv/Channels results?

LoftySnowm
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

LoftySnowm

I have two TV tuner devices configured in Emby with a Premiere license. I am running Emby Server 4.4.3.0. Emby for me is a metadata and media manager, but I do not use it for playback.

When calling Emby's API from a separate app that handles playback, I want to see the original URL from the TV tuner's M3U file and directly play that on a device. However, everything I see in the documentation (and through experimentation) revolves around setting up a session in Emby and streaming through that. I do not see any fields or calls for live TV channels to obtain the direct streaming URL.

Am I looking in the wrong place to find that URL? I was about to poke around the source code and possibly open a PR, but the GitHub repo doesn't seem to have had a PR merged in two years.

PenkethBoy

Hi

Not done this myself but look at the LiveTvService and VideoService - endpoints in swagger

The source code went closed a long time ago - so thats a dead end

TIP

if you do what you want in the web ui - then go look at the end of the (debug) log file - you will see what endpoint(s) Emby uses to do what you did in the the UI - might give you other clues as to which other endpoints might be relevant etc 

That endpoint won't give you that information. You'd have to use the management APIs used by the server configuration screens.

LoftySnowm

In the server configuration page for LiveTV I am only seeing calls/responses for the entire m3u. What I am looking to find is the data after Emby has ingested it. Much like fetching results for movies or TV shows, which have a direct link to the underlying media, I am trying to find the best source for the link from the m3u on a channel by channel basis.

Is that not available via the API? If not then I will try parsing the m3u contents and matching them up to what Emby provides.

Edited by LoftySnowm