The end of the road for CableCard

SHSPVR

kanipek
28 minutes ago, Sammy said:

So I need to edit all of them like this?

First part gives it a channel number and second part gives it a stream.mpg?

Yes

Find and replace in Notepad++

kanipek
30 minutes ago, EZEd said:

With limited testing last night, this seemed to fix my problem as well.  I only tried the codec=copy method.  I may try the stream.mpg method tonight and see if it makes a difference.  Reluctant to do so since copy=codec worked.  You know how it is about fixing things until they are broken...

I know exactly what you mean.

I setup a test server to experiment so it doesn't effect anything on the main one.

kanipek
34 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Mine looks like this straight out of the box:

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-logo="https://tmsimg.fancybits.co/assets/s62420_ll_h3_ab.png" tvg-name="CCP" group-title="HD",CCP
http://localhost:8089/devices/TVE-Spectrum/channels/6011/hls/master.m3u8?

So I need to add in the channel number and then change the extension?

Any way to batch edit this? I think I'll try with notepad ++ on a copy of the original..

I added channel numbers to make it "better" there are several fields you can use to do that. channel-id is what I have always used.

You need to replace hls/master.m3u8 with stream.mpg so it would be .../6011/stream.mpg

Edited by kanipek

Playback seems fine as it is if I don't move the channels.m3u file but I need better guide data. Will changing the channel numbers to match Spectrum's horrible numbering do this?

kanipek
50 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Playback seems fine as it is if I don't move the channels.m3u file but I need better guide data. Will changing the channel numbers to match Spectrum's horrible numbering do this?

Using Emby Guide data I got 5 matches using my CATV provider so I edited the M3U to match the tvg-name="" to match what my CATV provider is looking for (they have a unique naming system) and they all matched 137 out of 137. I don't know of a method that automates changing all the tvg-name="" fields so I did it manually.

Like this:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="23" tvg-logo="" tvg-name="TBSHD" group-title="HD",TBSHD
http://###.###.###.###:8089/devices/TVE-nnnn/channels/6033/hls/master.m3u8?codec=copy

I did this all as a test.

On my main server I use epg123 and the custom lineup feature which was basically all setup for those channels (TVE) edited slightly the customlineup.xml and it is good to go.

1 minute ago, kanipek said:

Using Emby Guide data I got 5 matches using my CATV provider so I edited the M3U to match the tvg-name="" to match what my CATV provider is looking for (they have a unique naming system) and they all matched 137 out of 137. I don't know of a method that automates changing all the tvg-name="" fields so I did it manually.

Like this:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="23" tvg-logo="" tvg-name="TBSHD" group-title="HD",TBSHD
http://###.###.###.###:8089/devices/TVE-nnnn/channels/6033/hls/master.m3u8?codec=copy

I did this all as a test.

On my main server I use epg123 and the custom lineup feature which was basically all setup for those channels (TVE) edited slightly the customlineup.xml and it is good to go.

Hoping to use only the Emby Guide Data. Otherwise it is $25 a year for epg and $80 a year for Channels TVE which rounds out to $7.75 a month..

kanipek
1 minute ago, Sammy said:

Hoping to use only the Emby Guide Data. Otherwise it is $25 a year for epg and $80 a year for Channels TVE which rounds out to $7.75 a month..

It should do the job with a "little" editing. 

On 9/10/2020 at 1:08 PM, kanipek said:

When you select a provider in Emby Guide data - Select map channels those are what Emby is looking for and what you need to edit to get the auto match

I've several hundred channels to match! UGH!

kanipek

I've several hundred channels to match! UGH!

somewhere on the forum is a way to "extract" what "tvg-name"(s) your Emby Guide data is expecting to match. If you can find that it might make it easier. I will see if I can find that.

NICE!

I notice there's several channels not in my Spectrum guide dataGuide Data from Emby Guide Data. Notable is a stack of Adult Swim shows on separate channels and others such as this.

kanipek

NICE!

I notice there's several channels not in my Spectrum guide dataGuide Data from Emby Guide Data. Notable is a stack of Adult Swim shows on separate channels and others such as this.

Yeah TVE is adding a list of free content to the list of available channels from your CATV provider. AS "channels" are included in the free content being added along with some news feeds and a few others.

This is the thread:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/77066-emby-live-tv-channel-matching-to-tvg-chno-fix-asap/page/2/

See page 2 a response from @pünktchen  - Might be of some help to you.

2 hours ago, kanipek said:

Yeah TVE is adding a list of free content to the list of available channels from your CATV provider. AS "channels" are included in the free content being added along with some news feeds and a few others.

This is the thread:

See page 2 a response from @pünktchen  - Might be of some help to you.

This post?

I'll need a bit of time to digest..

Edited by Sammy

pwhodges

Right click on the "Posted  <date/time>..." at the top of the post concerned and copy the link address to put in the post you're writing.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Thanks 1

nyplayer
On 9/9/2020 at 8:05 AM, nyplayer said:

https://community.getchannels.com/t/use-channels-dvr-as-a-tuner-for-emby/22486/30

Some improvements in the latest Channels pre-release:

use channels.m3u?format=ts for stream.mpg urls
added channel-id
changed tvg-name to use call sign for easier guide matching
removed duplicate channels when using ANY device

Edited by nyplayer
  • Like 1

These changes seem to work a bit better in limited testing.  Had 2 channels that wouldn't play in Emby previously but now do!

kanipek
4 hours ago, nyplayer said:

https://community.getchannels.com/t/use-channels-dvr-as-a-tuner-for-emby/22486/30

Some improvements in the latest Channels pre-release:

use channels.m3u?format=ts for stream.mpg urls
added channel-id
changed tvg-name to use call sign for easier guide matching
removed duplicate channels when using ANY device

This is pretty sweet. Set it up on my test server just using the HDHR info in the M3U and it works really well and I can arrange the channels however I like.

Best thing about this method is it doesn't use FFMPEG at all. I am doing eight concurrent recordings and Emby Server is @3-5%.

Edited by kanipek

kanipek
2 hours ago, Sammy said:

Here's the problem:

image.thumb.png.db01a760a8778ae02f8fabbf1ac01ea4.png

Perhaps we can get a "share this post" icon next to each response? I did look for a way to share that response and I did not find one, I get it now but it could be helpful to have that icon.

Edited by kanipek

1 hour ago, kanipek said:

This is pretty sweet. Set it up on my test server just using the HDHR info in the M3U and it works really well and I can arrange the channels however I like.

Best thing about this method is it doesn't use FFMPEG at all. I am doing eight concurrent recordings and Emby Server is @3-5%.

How is this different than recording directly from the HDHR?

kanipek
1 minute ago, cayars said:

How is this different than recording directly from the HDHR?

Aside from having to subscribe to channels - For me with 11 HDHR units it enables me to use M3U for all the sources TVE, HDHR etc. It solves the issue I was having when trying to accomplish this - multiple duplicates of each channel listed in the EPG. With this solution one set of the channels is listed in the EPG and I have access to all the tuners and it was simple (You can accomplish this via NextPVR but it is quite a bit more complicated). With the latest update to the DVR all the editing to the M3U provided is eliminated (except possibly using your preferred channel numbers). 

It seems to have sped up the guide refresh for me from 13 minutes to 8 minutes.

Why did I want to do this? Mostly to be able to move the channels around to my own liking. I know all of this is coming to Emby at some point, but until we arrive at that point this will be helpful. Also I had time to play.

I am still testing but it seems pretty sweet.

I get that stuff but my question was how it's different regarding ffmpeg which is what I commented about.

Now regarding what you just wrote.  Have you checked to see how Channels DVR handles dupe channels?

By this I mean there are two ways this is normally handled in DVR.  First is the way Emby handles 4 HDHomeRun Primes where instead of have 3 tuners for ABC will have 12 tuners for ABC but you only get one ABC listing.  Emby can record it on any of the tuners so if 3 are full it will use the 4th.

Other systems just eliminate dupes but don't allow the "roll over" of tuners as the channels are stacked.

A simple test like this is to get all tuners on the first device in use then play another channel and see if it rolls over to the next tuner.

Often times DVRs will combine "like" boxes such as all Primes or all Quatro but give dupes when using mixed boxes (ie one Prime and one Quatro).  In NextPVR you can combine ABC from both tuners and set a priority (ie use OTA first).  Does Channels DVR do this?

I've not tried it as I've just started playing with it with the new option but if it eliminates dupes but doesn't roll over it's might not be a desirable function to have.

kanipek
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

I get that stuff but my question was how it's different regarding ffmpeg which is what I commented about.

Now regarding what you just wrote.  Have you checked to see how Channels DVR handles dupe channels?

By this I mean there are two ways this is normally handled in DVR.  First is the way Emby handles 4 HDHomeRun Primes where instead of have 3 tuners for ABC will have 12 tuners for ABC but you only get one ABC listing.  Emby can record it on any of the tuners so if 3 are full it will use the 4th.

Other systems just eliminate dupes but don't allow the "roll over" of tuners as the channels are stacked.

A simple test like this is to get all tuners on the first device in use then play another channel and see if it rolls over to the next tuner.

Often times DVRs will combine "like" boxes such as all Primes or all Quatro but give dupes when using mixed boxes (ie one Prime and one Quatro).  In NextPVR you can combine ABC from both tuners and set a priority (ie use OTA first).  Does Channels DVR do this?

I've not tried it as I've just started playing with it with the new option but if it eliminates dupes but doesn't roll over it's might not be a desirable function to have.

As I said - still testing

But those are all good things to be looking for.

I did not see a comment about FFMPEG - In my testing using just the HDHR tuners FFMPEG was not being invoked, which for me is a plus. Haven't gotten around to testing TVE with TS streams - yet.

kanipek
41 minutes ago, kanipek said:

As I said - still testing

But those are all good things to be looking for.

I did not see a comment about FFMPEG - In my testing using just the HDHR tuners FFMPEG was not being invoked, which for me is a plus. Haven't gotten around to testing TVE with TS streams - yet.

Test TVE channels using TS streams - Direct play using Nvidia Shield 2019, FFMPEG not invoked. Fast tuning 1ish seconds direct play.Trans/Remux tuning 7ish seconds.

Still playing...I mean testing.

• Like 1