If using Channels DVR you can get a m3u by all or specific device

Gives you m3u with all devices ...

http://iptochannelsdvr:8089/devices/Any/channels.m3u

Specific tuner

http://iptochannelsdvr:8089/devices/13147C7B/channels.m3u

• Thanks 1

nyplayer
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

With the current system and M3U the easiest way I found was to use NextPVR.  Load up your M3U in that and join together like channels, then export those channels as an M3U and load into Emby.  It's far from simple or super clean but does work.  But if using like HDHomeRuns they can be combined.

Is this it ...

https://gist.github.com/aaearon/3e1d4958cf726066c8f55d15da7d86b4

• Like 1

kanipek
12 minutes ago, nyplayer said:

If using Channels DVR you can get a m3u by all or specific device

Gives you m3u with all devices ...

http://iptochannelsdvr:8089/devices/Any/channels.m3u

Specific tuner

http://iptochannelsdvr:8089/devices/13147C7B/channels.m3u

Yeah I saw this. From looking at the file looks like all the (HDHR) channels are listed multiple times (so 8 times in my case) - Not sure how Emby would "behave" using that. Haven't tried it yet.

Edited by kanipek

nyplayer
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

Could have been from there.  I just pulled it down and tested it.  Works well.

I tried it getting this error ....

C:\temp>python hdhr-listings-to-m3u.py  1>playlist.m3u
  File "hdhr-listings-to-m3u.py", line 32
    print "#EXTM3U"
          ^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print("#EXTM3U")?

I've got my m3u extracted out of Channels DVR but I have AT&T TV Now streaming service as my provider, what xmltv guide listing should I use? I tried DirecTV inside of Emby but that didn't fit well.  Only one or two channels actually matched.  Can XTeve be used to build a guide just straight from the M3U file?  Is anybody else using a streaming service (like YouTube TV or Hulu) that are trying to use this method to get their streaming channels into Emby?  What have you tried?

Hi,

Just curious but can't you load up the AT&T guide for your postal code from Emby's guide data?

@cayars You mean AT&T Uverse? That too is a different guide than AT&T TV Now. It used to be that TV Now more closely approximated DirecTV but now who knows. Uverse is no more. It changed to AT&T TV which too is still different from AT&T TV Now.  It would be nice to be able to build the guide simply from the m3u channel file that you have that way you're not trying to fit preformed squares into customized round holes.

But if the square is smaller than the hole it fits just fine. :)

Kidding aside I'm not very familiar with AT&T nor the info in their guides.  But I'd not think this would be to difficult to get mapped (with a bit of time).

• Haha 1

kanipek
14 hours ago, EZEd said:

I've got my m3u extracted out of Channels DVR but I have AT&T TV Now streaming service as my provider, what xmltv guide listing should I use? I tried DirecTV inside of Emby but that didn't fit well.  Only one or two channels actually matched.  Can XTeve be used to build a guide just straight from the M3U file?  Is anybody else using a streaming service (like YouTube TV or Hulu) that are trying to use this method to get their streaming channels into Emby?  What have you tried?

I am not using a streaming provider such as Hulu. But our local CATV doesn't follow any naming logic - this goes back to the WMC days. So using Emby guide data provided like 5 out of 137 matches. So I used notepad++ to assign channel numbers and I made certain that all the tvg-name="nnnnn" fields matched what the CATV was using (which is what Emby guide is looking for) and it matched all 137. I bet it even took less time than manually mapping. So that is an option for you - find one with the most matches then edit to match the rest.

nyplayer
1 hour ago, kanipek said:

I am not using a streaming provider such as Hulu. But our local CATV doesn't follow any naming logic - this goes back to the WMC days. So using Emby guide data provided like 5 out of 137 matches. So I used notepad++ to assign channel numbers and I made certain that all the tvg-name="nnnnn" fields matched what the CATV was using (which is what Emby guide is looking for) and it matched all 137. I bet it even took less time than manually mapping. So that is an option for you - find one with the most matches then edit to match the rest.

That is exactly how I did it and you only have to do it once .. if you do not change the tvg-name to match EMBY .. you ill have the same problem if you ever have to redo it again.... So a little more work now will save you headaches down the road.

• Like 1

@kanipek & nyplayer did you get the cable channel number match from an external source and then just use that cable system's guide listing inside of Emby as the source? I'm in a pretty rural area. DirecTV did show up with my zip code hopefully I can find a cable system that does as well. I'll check and see.

Thx

2 hours ago, kanipek said:

I'm looking into this as soon as I can..

Taking a look at it in NextGen TV too to see what mapping there  does.

kanipek
10 minutes ago, EZEd said:

@kanipek & nyplayer did you get the cable channel number match from an external source and then just use that cable system's guide listing inside of Emby as the source? I'm in a pretty rural area. DirecTV did show up with my zip code hopefully I can find a cable system that does as well. I'll check and see.

Thx

You can use DirecTV or which ever guide listings provide you with the listings you need - not sure how many channels you have to deal with. When you map the channels manually in Emby you will see what Emby is looking for to get a match. The TVE M3U from Channels for example gave me - tvg-name="DISNEY" - Emby was trying to match DISNHD - So edit it to be tvg-name="DISNHD" and it will match. Generally you will find a provider that has all the guide info you need - it is easiest to use one in the same time zone, DirecTV and Spectrum I have found will be the best ones to choose (lots of channels) find a zipcode for a major city and try that.

So you have to provide (by editing the TVE M3U) a tvg-name="" that matches what the guide listing is looking for

Helpful?

I think so. I'll just have to get a sample of the guide Emby is providing. It was easy when I had one of those questionable streaming services because it came with both an m3u file and an xml file for guide. If there were differences, I could edit either or both to get the right match. In this case I have the m3u file but dont know exactly what the xml needs nor am I absolutely sure where to view the xml that Emby priduces to change the m3u to match but I'll futt around with it a bit and see if I can work something out.

Thx for info.

kanipek
1 minute ago, EZEd said:

I think so. I'll just have to get a sample of the guide Emby is providing. It was easy when I had one of those questionable streaming services because it came with both an m3u file and an xml file for guide. If there were differences, I could edit either or both to get the right match. In this case I have the m3u file but dont know exactly what the xml needs nor am I absolutely sure where to view the xml that Emby priduces to change the m3u to match but I'll futt around with it a bit and see if I can work something out.

Thx for info.

When you select a provider in Emby Guide data - Select map channels those are what Emby is looking for and what you need to edit to get the auto match

kanipek
18 minutes ago, Sammy said:

It almost seems that the last two pages of posts here needs to be split off into it's own thread. What do you think?

Yeah good stuff. But we did kind of get off on a tangent.