The end of the road for CableCard

SHSPVR

vdatanet
On 9/6/2020 at 10:37 AM, SHSPVR said:

In Spain we have been experiencing this situation for a few years, we are completely tied to the hardware and software of the content providers. DRM, DRM and more DRM. We only have the garbage from the air television.

Some time ago a spanish satellite operator was forced by the judiciary to facilitate viewing from other satellite tuners through its subscriber card and not to link it to his hardware. He breached the sentence, appealed and won.

I predict bad times for DVR applications.

There's a spanish proverb:  "..when you see your neighbor's beard cut, put yours to soak"  that could be interpreted as "monkey see, monkey do"

Edited by vdatanet

4 hours ago, vdatanet said:

In Spain we have been experiencing this situation for a few years, we are completely tied to the hardware and software of the content providers. DRM, DRM and more DRM. We only have the garbage from the air television.

Some time ago a spanish satellite operator was forced by the judiciary to facilitate viewing from other satellite tuners through its subscriber card and not to link it to his hardware. He breached the sentence, appealed and won.

I predict bad times for DVR applications.

There's a spanish proverb:  "..when you see your neighbor's beard cut, put yours to soak"  that could be interpreted as "monkey see, monkey do"

Interestingly, well more than 50% of what we record is OTA but LiveTV is something altogether different. Of course right now there isn't much to record in the way of new shows via OTA so more of what we watch is streamed or older shows we are catching up on..

Never been a person that wanted to futz around with DVRs but have a HDHomerun tuner for live TV OTA integrated in Emby. Have CBS All Access for UEFA Leagues competitions, ESPN+ for Seria A, Bundesliga and all the different cup competitions, Peacock for the Premier league. Never need to record anything because it is always available on demand at those 3 streaming services, bonus it saves storage space. Yearly cost for all three $160 it is worth the hassle free playback and no futzing around. If I can't find it on the services or for anything else I get it without commercials on my favorite P2P site. Those trying to do it the legitimate way will have nothing but hassles and headaches they have to devise ways and justifications to keep paying for their corporate lawyers.

kanipek
On 9/7/2020 at 9:00 AM, nyplayer said:

... I even have TVE working on EMBY using Channels DVR as a tuner.

This was news to me! Very cool. Very simple to set up. Thanks!

kanipek
1 hour ago, Sammy said:

That is a little ambiguous on setting it up. Do you have more information?

Are you asking me @Sammy?

1 hour ago, kanipek said:

Are you asking me @Sammy?

Yes and no..

Anyone whose got this working is all I need is someone to guide me in gettin'er done!

nyplayer
11 hours ago, Sammy said:

Yes and no..

Anyone whose got this working is all I need is someone to guide me in gettin'er done!

First of all do you have TVE setup on Channels DVR if you do not have Channels DVR it is a mute point ... if you do in settings find the TVE Tuner Click on the channels and at the very top you should see some text ... post it here ...

mine is Xfinity (TVE-Comcast_SSO) ... once you get that I can help you with the rest.

once you get that you can on your browsers type something similar to this using the IP of your channels dvr http://yourip:8089/devices/TVE-Comcast_SSO/channels.m3u ... that wil create a m3u that you can use as a tuner in EMBY.

Edited by nyplayer

2 hours ago, nyplayer said:

First of all do you have TVE setup on Channels DVR if you do not have Channels DVR it is a mute point ... if you do in settings find the TVE Tuner Click on the channels and at the very top you should see some text ... post it here ...

mine is Xfinity (TVE-Comcast_SSO) ... once you get that I can help you with the rest.

once you get that you can on your browsers type something similar to this using the IP of your channels dvr http://yourip:8089/devices/TVE-Comcast_SSO/channels.m3u ... that wil create a m3u that you can use as a tuner in EMBY.

I got the m3u and will add it to Emby but what to use for the guide data?

nyplayer
25 minutes ago, Sammy said:

"No Compatible Streams" I'm pretty sure this is related to not having guide data.

That makes no sense either you do not have TVE Installed or you typed the url wrong in your browser .. can you post what you typed ?

This is what mine says ... What does yours say ?

xfinity.jpg

Edited by nyplayer

It is working now. I didn't wait long enough for the guide to generate but there are a few channels without guide data and I haven't verified the accuracy of the data yet either.

Channels DVR assigns these in the 6XXX range. Emby gives them no numbers at all and places them at the front of the guide. It'd also be nice to get my Connect Quattro and Locast channels this way too... via an m3u.. or maybe not.

kanipek
2 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Channels DVR assigns these in the 6XXX range. Emby gives them no numbers at all and places them at the front of the guide. It'd also be nice to get my Connect Quattro and Locast channels this way too... via an m3u.. or maybe not.

You can assign channel numbers by editing the M3U which I am sure you know.

I messed around with M3U's for HDHomeRun tuners a bit - never found a way to do it for more than 1 tuner and not end up with multiple duplicates for the channels. There must be a way just haven't figured it yet.

• Thanks 1

nyplayer
30 minutes ago, kanipek said:

I messed around with M3U's for HDHomeRun tuners a bit - never found a way to do it for more than 1 tuner and not end up with multiple duplicates for the channels. There must be a way just haven't figured it yet.

First thing I did in Notepad+ is change all

#EXTINF:-1 to #EXTINF:-1 channel-id="XXXX"  ... then edited with correct channel ... it takes a while but you only have to do it once.

My Sample m3u below

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="6007" tvg-logo="https://tmsimg.fancybits.co/assets/s68344_ll_h3_ad.png" tvg-name="CSPAN" group-title="HD",CSPAN
http://mediapc:8089/devices/TVE-Comcast_SSO/channels/6007/hls/master.m3u8?

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="6008" tvg-logo="https://tmsimg.fancybits.co/assets/s68334_ll_h3_ac.png" tvg-name="CSPAN2" group-title="HD",CSPAN2
http://mediapc:8089/devices/TVE-Comcast_SSO/channels/6008/hls/master.m3u8?

channelsemby.jpg

Edited by nyplayer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kanipek said:

Not that I'm aware of using M3U in the current Live TV but in the new Next Gen Live TV currently in development this is easy to do across multiple tuners and types.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, nyplayer said:

First thing I did in Notepad+ is change all

#EXTINF:-1 to #EXTINF:-1 channel-id="XXXX"  ... then edited with correct channel ... it takes a while but you only have to do it once.

My Sample m3u below

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="6007" tvg-logo="https://tmsimg.fancybits.co/assets/s68344_ll_h3_ad.png" tvg-name="CSPAN" group-title="HD",CSPAN
http://mediapc:8089/devices/TVE-Comcast_SSO/channels/6007/hls/master.m3u8?

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="6008" tvg-logo="https://tmsimg.fancybits.co/assets/s68334_ll_h3_ac.png" tvg-name="CSPAN2" group-title="HD",CSPAN2
http://mediapc:8089/devices/TVE-Comcast_SSO/channels/6008/hls/master.m3u8?

Can this be done using wildcards and then a batch edit?

kanipek
21 minutes ago, cayars said:

... but in the new Next Gen Live TV currently in development this is easy to do across multiple tuners and types.

No fair no fair!!!!! 😡 Stop teasing the REST of us!

I've got a script around here somewhere (switched computers so now finding stuff is ...) that can connect to the HDHomeRun and generate the M3U for you.

If you want it let me know and I'll find it.

Just now, kanipek said:

No fair no fair!!!!! 😡 Stop teasing the REST of us!

OK, no problem I won't tell you anything more about it. LOL

• Like 1

kanipek
Just now, cayars said:

I've got a script around here somewhere (switched computers so now finding stuff is ...) that can connect to the HDHomeRun and generate the M3U for you.

If you want it let me know and I'll find it.

Have you found a way around multiple tuners=multple duplicate channels? 

With the current system and M3U the easiest way I found was to use NextPVR.  Load up your M3U in that and join together like channels, then export those channels as an M3U and load into Emby.  It's far from simple or super clean but does work.  But if using like HDHomeRuns they can be combined.