Playback problem with hi-res audio files

william emby conn

william emby conn

I bought the 2109 nVidia Shield Pro to play DTS-HD and Dobly TruHD files because I am using ARC (not eARC) on my LG OLED tv which only supports lossy audio files (Dolby Digital, DTS). The Shield works pretty well with Emby, but a couple of recent movies with DTS-HD encoded with 96/24 hires audio a problem. The audio plays, but the video is choppy and dropping frames. I also have a problem with a large 4k file with a bit rate over 60 MB/s. You see the movie pausing to buffer and dropping frames.

I assumed this was probably a hardware problem. Did some research and could not conclude that this was a hardware limitation. I recently played all the problem movies using Kodi (leia 18.5 with a local usb drive)) and they all played perfectly. So i must collude that Emby's internal player could perform better. I'm using a wired network and Windows 8.1 server on a  relatively fast PC. Emby is Direct Playing the files and using pass through to a Denon receiver for the audio where I can see it's receiving DTS-HD. 

Can this be fixed? I'm no a fan of Kodi.

vdatanet

Nvidia have posted a known issues thread over here:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/395152/known-issues-shield-experience-upgrade-82/

Plex playback of 96khz/192khz TrueHD or DTS-MA audio leads to audio drops

• SHIELD Experience release 8.2 has resolved a few issues with 96/192 Khz TrueHD/DTS-MA playback but Plex still has work to do on the App side to resolve this issue. These files generally work fine in Kodi or the built in Gallery app as a temporary solution while Plex is fixed

It's talking about Plex, but I supose the problem lies in the exoplayer and maybe it can also affect Emby. I'm not stating it, but maybe it's related.

• 3 months later...
anthonws
On 9/6/2020 at 10:18 AM, vdatanet said:

Nvidia have posted a known issues thread over here:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/395152/known-issues-shield-experience-upgrade-82/

It's talking about Plex, but I supose the problem lies in the exoplayer and maybe it can also affect Emby. I'm not stating it, but maybe it's related.

I think I experienced this recently, with a media that has a TrueHD 192khz track. Audio drops always in the same spots, so not sure if this is truly from the media rip itself or a Shield TV (Pro 2019) or ExoPlayer.

Anyone has public samples that I can test this scenario and provide info/logs?

Thanks,

anthonws.

anthonws
On 12/17/2020 at 4:21 PM, Luke said:

Can you try this and see how it compares?

Thanks.

Hi @Luke

are these supposed to work on Shield Pro? Says file cannot be opened. Downloaded twice.

Thanks

vdatanet
1 hour ago, anthonws said:

Hi @Luke

are these supposed to work on Shield Pro? Says file cannot be opened. Downloaded twice.

Thanks

Yes it works on the Shield, try the new thread:

• Like 1

anthonws
5 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Yes it works on the Shield, try the new thread:

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I tried both APK and both failed to install ("cannot open file"). 

I downloaded them directly from Chrome in the Shield (version 8.2.1).

It sounds like you didn't actually download the file. You can also use the url from the download page of our website.

• Like 1

anthonws
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It sounds like you didn't actually download the file. You can also use the url from the download page of our website.

The file size is roughly 33MB. I mean, how hard can it be?!? Chrome in Shield, go to forum, click Dropbox link, choose direct download, click file and nothing.

I also tried it on my phone and the same thing happened.

I'm feeling stupid right now but I got the impression either the files are corrupt or my Shield and Phone don't like those APK... I'll try via the website.

Thanks

anthonws

@Luke

I was able to install the app (looks like Chrome does not launch APK's install wizard anymore from download list, neither the built-in file manager in Shield does).

Anyways, the latest app version (3.1.71) does not process audio as the normal Android TV version does. The TrueHD track appears as PCM in my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR686).

Let me know what logs and other tests do you want me to conduct.

Thanks,

anthonws

Edited by anthonws
typos + more info