MBC Music shows No Items

porkbone

porkbone

Hi all, I recently re-taged a lot of my music genres since they were a mess and couldn't get Genre Cleaner to work (another issue, but not the reason for this post).  SInce re-tagging, all my music shows up everywhere correctly except in MBC. The Music category will show recently added items just fine and I can enter into those, however, going into Music shows No Items.  Music by Genre shows all the music correctly. I am using Chocolate 3.0.6.3 & Subdude 3.0.1.15 and both show the same thing. The dashboard shows everything as well.

MBC 3.0.195.0 7-14.1

MBS 3.0.5309.26857

MBC log included

MBClassic-2072014000a65710e21479a9e002adeb614c281.zip

Do you have an extremely large, flat music collection?  MBC is timing out trying to retrieve the top level of your music folder from the server.

You can try some deeper organization and/or increase the time-out value in the advanced config panel.

porkbone

I have a very large music collection (590 GB), not sure by what you mean by flat though.  I tried increasing the time-out value from 40000 to 60000 and no change.

My music library is organized like this Music\Artists\Album if that matters.  This only started after I re-tagged my music.  It was working fine before. Could the cache file for MBC be causing the time out?

Thanks for the reply, ebr

By flat I mean the top level is large - e.g. It isn't organized into categories or anything that would break up a list of 1,000s of items.

If you post a server log from when this happens, I might be able to see what is hanging it up but I just think it is taking the server too long to respond to the request for all of your artists.

porkbone

Weird that it would cause this after re-tagging 1/4 of the whole collection.  Didn't seem to be an issue before.

I know you are busy, so thanks for your time.

Server log attached

server-63541474518.zip

DGMayor

I noticed this issue as well the other day.  I rarely use the music portion of MBC but I tried to enter it and it was just blank.  I could access the music that was showing on the EHS just fine, but couldn't browse the catalog at all.

porkbone - the server says it took right at 33 seconds to respond to the request for all your music.  Based on the time stamps in your MBC log, it looks like MBC timed out after 28 seconds.  Are you sure you have your timeout value set to 60,000?

porkbone

Odd... I know I changed it.  Went back in to the advanced tab and it was back to 40000.  I changed it to 60000 and restarted MBC and no change. Checked to see if the setting stayed and it was still 60000.  Changed it to 70000 and still no change. 

Do you think deleting the library.db and doing a fresh scan could clear things up?

No, I don't.

Can I please see another log with the timeout value changed?

Looks like the server logging level has changed so I can't see the response on that end (http logging looks to be off).  But, I do see that the call in MBC is timing out 60 seconds after it is initiated.  So that is working.

Perhaps something changed on the server end that makes this retrieval be slower now...?

porkbone

Is there something I can do on my end to get a more complete server log for you?

I'm not sure.  @@Luke - two questions:

1 - Why did his first log have http logging in it but the second one not?  Is there a new setting or behavior somewhere?

2 - Were there changes around music that would potentially cause requests for the children of a top-level music folder to be working much more slowly now?

porkbone

The only place I am seeing this, Luke is in the MBC Music category. Dashboard plays fine with all views working. MBC Music by Genre works fine as well - except the Jazz genre is empty (I have a lot of jazz).

The only thing I did notice in the web interface, is on the Home screen. If I click on the Games button, I see all the catagories (Latest Games, Game Systems etc..) but they are all empty. The Media Folders - Games has all the games showing.  I know this in unrelated to the music folder, but thought I should share it.

Edited by porkbone

The web client won't exhibit the behavior because it limits its requests to some specific number of items.  MBC does not do that - it requests all children.  The design of the interface does not allow limiting to an arbitrary number.

Something changed between the last release server and this one, or in the user's environment to cause the request for this music data to take much longer than it ever has.

Even still pulling down several hundred artists at a time should be fine. Or even more. No problem. Did you check into what i mentioned? because there are identical requests repeated over and over within the span of a single second.

Look at the one in post number 5.  It shows the http request for children of his parent music folder taking about 30 seconds on the server.  He changed the timeout in MBC to 60 seconds and still is not getting a return from the server - but in the subsequent log, there is no http request logging so I can't tell what happened there.

Those requests are all in the background and within the RAL thread.  We'll have to hear from the OP but it looks like maybe he has a setup that has multiple folders pointing to the same place so the newest items in them are the same.

I don't think those are related to his issue though.

I'm assuming he may have 1,000 or more artists but that still should be okay.  However, something is making it time out and it didn't used to for him.

I asked earlier if something changed in the server regarding http logging because the last log he posted didn't have the http requests in it like the first one...

Okay, so porkbone - are you absolutely sure that last server log you posted was from a session where this happens?  I can't find any http requests in it.

Can you please re-create it and post a new server log?

does the web client exhibit the same behavior? it looks like a number of the mbc folder requests happen repeatedly. if you look through the log you see the same requests happening several times in a single second. that's not to say that that's the issue, but it's definitely not helping.

I am monitoring this and you can add me to the list.  I just noticed it this past Sunday.  My sitrep is just like porkbone...I can see the latest music items on the EHS.  I can select one of those items and it will play but if I select the music category where all of my music should be displayed I get No Items.  Have waited all night for it to populate and it never does.  When the problem first cropped up I had the same problem with a folder of Recorded TV that I set up.  I thought maybe MBS had lost contact with my SMB shares so I removed and reconnected both Music and Recorded TV shares in server.  Recorded TV populated but Music did not.  Music items do show up in all three of Android client, MB Theater and the web client.  It is only Classic that exhibits the behavior.  When first noticed I was on the previous version of Classic (184? 187?).  I updated to 195 but no change.  I too have a large number of items in my music library organized by \Music\Artist\Album but I had not performed any prior maintenance like re-taggging or anything.  The issue just seemed to spontaneously happen.  Was previously working fine then one day had changed. I also noticed that at the time of the change my custom Primary/Thumb image changed on both my Recorded TV and Music folder but no other.  It changed to I guess what is now the default icon for folder themes.  I thought that might have been related so when I removed and reconnected the SMB shares I also changed the primary folder image back to my custom one.  Again one folder corrected the other did not.  I am not in a location that I can take a server or classic log right now.  I will try to do that later tonight when I am at home.  Just wanted to send information to try and help troubleshoot.

Thx

Ed

Edited by EZEd
  • Like 2

It really sounds like something in how the server is producing that top list changed somewhere along the way because nothing in MBC has changed as far as retrieving items goes.

Please do provide logs when you can.

porkbone

Hi ebr, here are my server and MBC logs.  the server log starts at 3 am after the  Restart Server plugin does its thing. Hopefully it has more info.

Thanks for your input EZEd

Server log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/royw24vuo1ueckk/server-63541767602.txt

MBC log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/htoei3xyrijz7aa/MBClassic-24720145ca5b7becb6245958fee06f1f7dfc9d1.log