InternalItemQuery StartIndex

chef
Go to solution Solved by PenkethBoy,

Hi,

I need to break up a large baseItem request with pagination. 

Looks like I can only load about twenty items per screen.

When making a request for library data there is a "StartIndex" param.

Will this help me target the index I need to start at, which is the limit of the prior request?

Thank you.

Ben

• Solution
PenkethBoy

Chef

if its like the http API then startindex and limit help you control what comes back via a query

startindex is zero based

Edited by PenkethBoy
  • Thanks 1

PenkethBoy

Cool 

how much of the control is done by you - and how mach is default on the small alexa device?

So far, you can drill down the Emby tiers well enough. 

Showing entire libraries seems 'a lot' for the Show devices. They only accept a predetermined amount of data.

Tv shows respond well to the architecture, but large libraries... Not so much.

At the moment, you can request baseItems/collections that you know are in the library. (But you'd have to know what's there or the "doesn't exist" response is triggered... Not great)

You can request "next-up" episodes from the skill, for series.

Also movie collection data will display, but you'd have to know that the collection exists or you'd get the same "doesn't exist" response.

I haven't found an easy way (yet) to show data, without the user knowing what to ask for.

Expressing large libraries seem to be difficult to deal with, both with voice and small display.

There is a general "play that" command for bottom tier items (detail page teir).

But a "Select that" /or "Select {item}" command is needed. It should probably, try and be, intuitive.

Im currently trying to show large libraries, either by alphabetical (a-b, c-d,etc) style interfaces, or 20 items at a time (this seems to keep within the request data limit... Primary images and string text).

Edited by chef

PenkethBoy

so there is no find (this or that) then to search for a collection if you are not sure what its called?

Oh yeah, you can totally request a baseItem by name, and cast that tier to the device:

Edited by chef
  • Like 1