New Issue after Update to CoverArt 4.1.10.0 on Synology Platform - Permission Denied errors when applying treatments

DarWun
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

DarWun

CoverArt plugin was updated to 4.1.10.0 earlier tonight on a Synology DS918+ NAS running the Emby beta 4.5.0.23 server. After the update, images are not being enhanced by CoverArt due to an issue with permissions (Access to the path '/volume1/Emby/cache/coverart/4.1.10.0/case' is denied). This did not occur with the previous version of the CoverArt plugin.  The Emby log is attached.embyserver (1).txt

For transparency, after switching over to the new .spk distribution platform for Synology servers I had issues with permissions using the AutoOrganize plugin and Emby for Kodi. I managed to resolve those issues. No other plugins seemed to be affected at that time. I haven't done a deep dive into this issue with CoverArt permissions yet. I plan to do so over the weekend.

DarWun

I found a temporary workaround. I copied the contents of the "/volume1/Emby/cache/coverart/4.1.9.0/" folder to "/volume1/Emby/cache/coverart/4.1.10.0/". All expected treatments were then applied to images as expected.

Happy2Play

Look like a permissions issue within emby/cache.  Is this custom or default path?

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Emby/cache/coverart/4.1.10.0/case' is denied.
	 ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Server log?

In the first post.

Don't really like how they get attached.

Edited by Happy2Play

DarWun
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

Server log?

@Luke It got embedded into the main post for some reason. I've never had that happen before. I tried to remove it from the post but I wasn't able to. So I just figured it was an "improvement" with new forums (which are great by the way).

I've reattached it, and this time it wasn't embedded into the main body. Not sure how that happened the first time.

embyserver (1) (1).txt

DarWun
39 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Look like a permissions issue within emby/cache.  Is this custom or default path?

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Emby/cache/coverart/4.1.10.0/case' is denied.
	 ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

@Happy2Play It is the default path. The owner of the cache folder created during the update to CoverArt 4.1.10.0 is root. The owner of the cache folder for the previously installed 4.1.9.0 version, which was created during the migration to the new Synology .spk distribution platform, is Emby. That is likely the reason for the permission issues after updating. Why there is a different owner is a mystery to me at this point...mostly because I still don't entirely understand how to correctly setup permissions on the NAS. I managed to get everything working through brute force on the old distribution platform several years ago. But I obviously need to "reducate" myself, and hopefully not break anything else in the process.

Edited by DarWun

• Solution
Happy2Play

@DarWun I would bet you have to reset permissions just link this topic.  Issue in 4.5.0.23

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

DarWun
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@DarWun I would bet you have to reset permissions just link this topic.  Issue in 4.5.0.23

Thanks pointing me towards this post @Happy2Play! I had noticed the switch to root for a number of folders in the Emby shared folder late last night. I changed ownership to Emby for those folders and the permission errors no longer showed up in the log files. I was going to do a bit more troubleshooting before posting back to see if I could figure out why the ownership change happened in the first place. The thread you linked to could save me a lot of time (and grief).

Edited by DarWun