Video stops at certain parts of a video unless I skip forward watching from a browser

kron0s

On 1/20/2021 at 10:17 PM, Luke said:

Can you please try lowering the in-app quality setting to force a full transcode and see if that helps? Thanks.

Sorry, I don't want to transcode, only want a direct play to avoid losing any quality. 

8 hours ago, kron0s said:

You can't get a good test in with a 1 minute demo in emby theater

You could pick up a month of Premiere for less than $5 and play with all Emby features and clients for a month!

kron0s
On 2/22/2021 at 6:53 AM, cayars said:

You could pick up a month of Premiere for less than $5 and play with all Emby features and clients for a month!

I have different issues with emby theater as I can't full screen the app with my 21:9 ultrawide  The window gets bigger but doesn't really become full screen.  

Any change the web app be fixed to play videos properly? 

kron0s
On 2/21/2021 at 10:51 PM, Luke said:

Can you provide a sample video for testing?

I need to see how I can rip a part of a video. Will get back to you on this.

kron0s
On 2/21/2021 at 10:51 PM, Luke said:

Oddly enough, playing a clip off the video cut from the original does not lock up emby, but only when I play the full file this happens and when it happens it does not always happen at the exact time but close to it.

4 hours ago, kron0s said:

I need to see how I can rip a part of a video. Will get back to you on this.

Is this video already an Mp4 or MKV file?

kron0s
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Is this video already an Mp4 or MKV file?

mkv.

So attaching a part of the file won't help here.  If you guys have it, I've tried multiple different variations of the movie "Captain America Winter Soldier", it happens 100% around the 1:03:00 - 1:05:00 guaranteed.  How is this possible? Something wrong with the original Bluray, that it was ripped from?

Try opening a new browser tab in chrome. Then drag the mkv into the browser tab. Does it happen then?

kron0s
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Try opening a new browser tab in chrome. Then drag the mkv into the browser tab. Does it happen then?

Not sure what that means, dragging a mkv into the browser does not play the file.  

15 minutes ago, kron0s said:

Not sure what that means, dragging a mkv into the browser does not play the file.  

Ok nevermind. On some platforms chrome will play it that way.

rbjtech

I would hazard a guess that it has nothing to do with the media nor emby but something on the PC/Device itself that is causing the issue.

Does the PC/Web Browser have 3rd party AV software ?

I had something almost identical to this a while back and it turned out to be the AV software that I was using as it was scanning every packet - and thus after a short while (around the one minute, very similar to yours) it could no longer keep up and it hung the file transfer.

So I would try disabling any AV software - just to see if that corrects the issue.  It it does, then you need to probably change AV providers or if using Windows 10, then use the built in one.

Edited by rbjtech

kron0s
21 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I would hazard a guess that it has nothing to do with the media nor emby but something on the PC/Device itself that is causing the issue.

Does the PC/Web Browser have 3rd party AV software ?

I had something almost identical to this a while back and it turned out to be the AV software that I was using as it was scanning every packet - and thus after a short while (around the one minute, very similar to yours) it could no longer keep up and it hung the file transfer.

So I would try disabling any AV software - just to see if that corrects the issue.

Great suggestion, but disabling Windows Virus & Threat Protection did not help.  Issue still occurs, even on a different computer it occurs as well.  This issue problem won't get resolve unless the developers can reproduce it on their side.  

kron0s
On 3/1/2021 at 11:08 PM, kron0s said:

I have different issues with emby theater as I can't full screen the app with my 21:9 ultrawide  The window gets bigger but doesn't really become full screen.  

Any change the web app be fixed to play videos properly? 

The video plays fine on emby theater (from the 1 min demo), just some times I have issues maximizing the window but other than that the issue does not seem to be there.

kron0s

did some testing here, the video plays fine in firefox but not edge and chrome.  Although it does not freeze in firefox there is a momentarily moment when the sound goes out but the video continues.  

• 2 years later...
kron0s

FYI there is still no fix for this and the videos only play without freezing on apps like VLC / media player or via emby web on firefox ONLY.  Chrome and Edge it still freezes are random points only for certain specific videos.

Hi, Luke asked back in March for a sample media file or that show this happening?

Feel free to PM (hover over my avatar for messaging) me this information. I can do some testing to see if it's file related or not and give you a method to fix it if it's file related or can pass the info over to Luke knowing I can reproduce and test any internal changes before it hits beta.

Carlo

• 3 weeks later...
visproduction

Winter Soldier at 1 hr 3 minutes is a long series of old war films with a lot of grain.  If you have no limit on conversion for playback, this section would be very difficult to transcode.  Perhaps direct play is failing for some reason.  The grain and film dirt details require more processing to convert.  A preconverted copy in x.264 .mp4 and AAC audio would play directly to all browsers with no conversion.  .mkv and other audio codecs may or may not direct play in some setups with some browsers.  I can watch this media in 1080P from .mp4 AAC audio with no issue.

kron0s
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

@kron0s

Going to see if I can take a clip, unless you want me to upload the entire file somewhere? 

5 minutes ago, kron0s said:

Going to see if I can take a clip, unless you want me to upload the entire file somewhere? 

A small clip is fine, just make sure the problem also occurs with the clip as well. If not, then the full original is fine too. Thanks !

• Like 1