Audio delay on PC client, not on iPad client

kaj

This is the first time I've seen this. I have a series of mkv files. My Emby server (latest beta) setup is on a Synology 918+. PC client (Edge browser, connected via Ethernet), via web browser and iPad client (WiFi connection)

When playing the files on my PC, after a few seconds an audio lag starts. If I pause and start the lag goes away, but starts again after a few seconds.

Same files played on my iPad run without any problems.

I can see, in the stats for nerds, that the file is transcoding for the Windows Client, but not for the iPad client, which is why, I presume, there is audio lag.

windowsStats.thumb.jpg.19867048b5c2a23746ab5dcd23463783.jpg

iPadStats.thumb.jpeg.c2e461f5a9df87afedfb2b1a0e63b3c0.jpeg

My media library is fairly large, and I've never encountered this with any other files. Any ideas? Thanks

The container is actually an mkv.

I've started the Emby client in Chrome now, and the lag has gone. So it's seems it may just be a problem with Edge (both stable and dev). 

These are the nerd stats for the same file but playing in Chrome.

chomeStats.thumb.jpg.e2975f995d2d28c543a044b99a535ee2.jpg

I've attached the full media info for the file too.

fileinfoemby.txt

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, kaj said:

The container is actually an mkv.

I've started the Emby client in Chrome now, and the lag has gone. So it's seems it may just be a problem with Edge (both stable and dev). 

These are the nerd stats for the same file but playing in Chrome.

chomeStats.thumb.jpg.e2975f995d2d28c543a044b99a535ee2.jpg

I've attached the full media info for the file too.

fileinfoemby.txt 14.79 kB · 0 downloads

Are all of your mkv files showing as avi?  Does the media info for the file show as avi in the web client for that item?

Can you try and refresh this item and see if the container changes.

5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Are all of your mkv files showing as avi?  Does the media info for the file show as avi in the web client for that item?

Can you try and refresh this item and see if the container changes.

Many apologies!! I've been a complete Muppet. I was looking at the wrong series when saying it was a mkv file. It is, in fact, an avi file. Ignore all previous mentions of mkv, should have been avi. However all other info about the audio lag still stands.

.mediaInfofromEmby.jpg.2be4a10274ef2dcbcb4f2f4c8d2b8d0f.jpg

newstatsemby.txt

Happy2Play

I know avi files can be problematic.  Edge is the only browser that can direct play AC3, where Chrome requires it to be converted.

So in Edge you see video conversion and audio direct play and Chrome converts both audio and video.  And your iPad is able to play the file as is.

I will have to look but I believe there are other topics on this avi issue.

Thanks for the replies. As Chrome plays them without issue, I'll just use that. I think I had only swapped to Edge as it handled HEVC files better. Just weird that the issue produces audio lag.