Can't See Folders On Raspbian

Dr4v3n

Hello,

I have searched some other threads but can't seem to figure out why I can't see my drive when trying to add my media. My drive is mounted, permissions are to everyone, I can get to the /Media/Pi folder but can not see my drive. Currently the drive has everyone as read/write and Pi is the owner. Any suggestions? 

Pi.jpg

Hello Luke,

I have not. I have a slim idea on how to do this, I'm completely new to Linux. How would I add the Emby user to see this?

I've read some content that may be irrelevant or out of date on mounting my external drive since it auto mounts and reads now. It may boil down to permissions now for this Emby user as you mentioned.

I am failing on how to add Emby under permissions. I have used chmod, and read through some tutorials. I can't quite get the concept of just on how to add a specific user.

The problem wasn't permissions after all. Problem was mounting the drive in another directory. This was an external NTFS drive I was using.

1:Unmount

2: Create folder. "sudo mkdir (directory here) mine was /mnt/External

3: Mount drive " sudo mount (your drive here) mine was /dev/sda2 /mnt/External.

To find out a list of your drives use "blkid" or "df -t"

gmpmovies

Hey @Dr4v3n, I also experienced a similar problem when putting Emby Server on my Raspberry Pi. I'm not sure exactly what system you're using, but I think that the solution you provided might have to be performed every time your device power cycles. To avoid having to manually mount the drive every time you boot the device, you can create an entry on the fstab, here's an article that runs through that: https://www.tylerstechspot.com/portable-media-server#h.tdu7p386gq7o. Again, this is geared towards Raspberry Pi's and may not actually apply to your situation, but I thought this might help.

Edit: Just noticed you mentioned Raspbian in your title so this will be important for you to add to your fstab otherwise you'll have to mount your drive every time you turn on the Pi.

Edited by gmpmovies
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2020 at 11:58 PM, gmpmovies said:

Hey @Dr4v3n, I also experienced a similar problem when putting Emby Server on my Raspberry Pi. I'm not sure exactly what system you're using, but I think that the solution you provided might have to be performed every time your device power cycles. To avoid having to manually mount the drive every time you boot the device, you can create an entry on the fstab, here's an article that runs through that: https://www.tylerstechspot.com/portable-media-server#h.tdu7p386gq7o. Again, this is geared towards Raspberry Pi's and may not actually apply to your situation, but I thought this might help.

Edit: Just noticed you mentioned Raspbian in your title so this will be important for you to add to your fstab otherwise you'll have to mount your drive every time you turn on the Pi.

Yes, beyond mounting the drive I also had to follow these instructions which will automatically mount my drive upon reboot. 🙂 

On 9/2/2020 at 10:54 PM, Dr4v3n said:

Hello Luke,

I have not. I have a slim idea on how to do this, I'm completely new to Linux. How would I add the Emby user to see this?

I've read some content that may be irrelevant or out of date on mounting my external drive since it auto mounts and reads now. It may boil down to permissions now for this Emby user as you mentioned.

Have you checked out our file permissions guide?