no dynamic range compression, drives me crazy

supermood

supermood

hi I've read that drc is available in the emby windows server. unfortunately I'm running emby on my synology nas and there's not even an audio setting chapter...?

are there any plans to migrate the function?

sure, in the living room with my receiver I don't have issues as the denon is fixing that very well, but with my lg TV only set up in the sleeping room or in the working / sport room it's nearly impossible to watch any movie... it's constantly having the remote in the hand...

and I'm wondering am I really the only one getting crazy... am I doing something wrong..? 

supermood

and I thought this setting has to be made on the server anyway? but if not, surely an update for lg TV app would be perfect as well... 

if no update is planned, which streaming device do I have to buy? is this function available via fire stick or so?

(worst case of course but I really would like to use emby..) 

The absolute best thing you can do is normalize your media BEFORE you add it to Emby.  This way you can play back to back to back movies or shows in any app or web browser and the volume is all roughly identical and you'll never get blown away going from a soft/low volume to an extremely loud movie.

supermood

I've asked if there will be an update for emby server on synology or maybe, if the setting is made via the player app, on the lg TV. 

before I normalize the media (which means not only to much work but is also something I would never do with my setting in the living room) I would either 

- be interessed is the setting is really available on windows server and if you would see a problem with a virtual windows machine running emby on the nas or

- as written above, if the setting would be available if I buy a streaming device like a fire stick to run the emaby player on that... 

thanks, 

Q-Droid
1 hour ago, cayars said:

The absolute best thing you can do is normalize your media BEFORE you add it to Emby.  This way you can play back to back to back movies or shows in any app or web browser and the volume is all roughly identical and you'll never get blown away going from a soft/low volume to an extremely loud movie.

What tool(s) would you recommend for this?

I use ffmpeg but I've got a complex script that does a lot of different things for me like add a 2 channel AAC audio track as the default, remove subtitles and audio languages other than English (only language I use), etc.

• Thanks 1

supermood

is there a setting for drc on a player app or for windows server? 

I've seen pictures of this setting in Google but no information in which, still there.. 

9 hours ago, supermood said:

is there a setting for drc on a player app or for windows server? 

Not at this time, but it's a good idea for the future. Thanks for the feedback.

supermood

are my questions to complicate? if there's no drc at all in no emby server or player app - what is this? 

what do I have to do to get this setting on a screen, anywhere?

Screenshot_20200902-232549.jpg

supermood

what the hell... 🙃 if it were named like this it could have saved me some hours. 

as it is 2 or more years old I will have to switch back to kodi ... unfortunately...

btw, I've paid for emby lifetime and I really like it. it has much more functionality than I need but watching movies without getting any aggression is key.. 

I'm still curious why you wouldn't want to fix your source files vs having the client do more unneeded work every time something is played?

Are you guys actually looking for dynamic range compression or is what you really want normalized volume between your files?

supermood

ad 1, because I have to much files and my nas would explode if would start that. that would run the next 4 months. and I have a very good set up in the living room. I'm not completely audiophile but I like dts HD (and flac for music). I just can not start that. 

ad 2 volume difference between files is completely irrelevant. its just in one movie that in my sleeping room with only TV (not even a soundbar) watching a movie is impossible. all movies, no difference in file format or genre or whatever... with small volume steps on the lg I hear a Dialoge in a movie with let's say 12 or 14 and anything above that with max 7.. there are of course only limited possibilities with the Tv to do something. sound modes or equalizer make no difference

as this is the first time ever in my life having a 2nd TV (and even 3rd in the working room) I don't have experience with that situation. I think I have to buy a soundbar or some device to use kodi with that drc build in.. it's just no fun to change volume 200 times.. 

sure, I would have known before I would have bought an TV with night mode or whatever.. ive heard Apple TV has that but I'm not a Apple guy 😉 

It may not take nearly as long as you think.  It's far more like doing a remux than an encode as you're not touching the video.

You do want to make sure you realize the difference between compression and normalization.

Changing volume 200 times to me says "normalization" all over it vs drc.

I'd suggest finding a couple of troublesome files and play a bit with ffmpeg to see if you can make them sound more to your liking so you don't need to fiddle with volume.  Then see how long it takes your computer to run each file.

supermood

whatever let's call it night mode. the max between the loudest explosion and the lowest sound in ONE movie. I thought normalization and drc are the same. lg soundbar for 140eur with night mode will give me peace I think 😁 

I have remuxed movies. let's say 10min for 2h movie. now multiply that with 45tb 🙃 

and than I still don't want that, as in my living room everything is perfect as it is.. 

To me there are 3 conceptual methods for achieving a sound that is even and loud called audio compression/limiting, audio leveling and audio normalization.

Compression/limiting is mostly aimed at handling the immediate dynamics and peaks, leveling usually does the job of changing the overall parts inside of an audio file to better match each other, producing a whole file that is better internally with less difference between the highs and lows.

Audio normalization generally is aimed at raising or lowering the entire file/recording to a certain level. This is either from the Peak Level or the RMS level of the file.

So if you employ all three as much as possible you can switch from movie to movie without needing to hardly change the volume at all and have a listening experience that works for your equipment.

That's just a high level overview of course but sort of covers it at a high level.  You can of course target certain frequency ranges (ie subwoofer lows).

The reason I prefer to do this at the file level is that I can play it back anywhere and keep the results.  From my mobile phone using headphones or speak to a bedroom Roku which will likely never be able to perform these types of things at the client level playing back in any other player.  I write a new track so I keep the existing high end track which would always allow me to rerun files at a later time or use the original with high end equipment that can handle the sound better on it's own.  Sort of best of both worlds only giving up enough space for a new audio track.

supermood

to my understanding I'm only interested in the first one. I just want to watch a movie without stress, relaxed. and the problem with loud noises is getting more serious the older you get is my experience 🤣 

about leveling all movies were living on different planets. I'm working 14 hours in three time zones in a global project (in front of a notebook) and I'm not even getting my music library correctly sorted. thats so much no option before I would do that I had about 100 things on my list I should and must do before. I'm happy that the kids and cats are not starving, so maybe you get the point 😂 

btw, LG sound bar is here, with night mode, I hope I can install on the weekend as this xxxx piece can't get mounted below the TV and the TV is 40cm away from the wall in the air with a rack that can be folded out, so currently it seems I have to build a second holding thing..... good night... 

arrbee99

You are not alone -

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/03/tenet-dialogue-christopher-nolan-sound-technology