Media Centre completely unstable

jhs39

jhs39

Media Centre crashed again and I wasn't even using it this time--it just wouldn't open.  I uninstalled  Media Centre, installed Media Centre Lite then upgraded to Media Centre, like I've been forced to do more than a dozen times.  In Media Centre I tried loading my preferences but there was a long delay between my clicking on something and Media Centre responding.  Sometimes it would click back to a previous choice--I tried clicking on a default image choice for TV and suddenly I was back in the movie menu instead, for example.  Once I finally had everything chosen I went back to Roku home screen so Media Centre would move my media folders back to the top row.  I opened Media Centre, clicked to change the movie select choice from resume to latest and it crashed again.  So I'm going to have to start all over from the beginning again.  Is there any chance a version of Media Centre will ever be released that isn't so buggy and unstable?     

Tanamur

Media Centre crashed again and I wasn't even using it this time--it just wouldn't open.  I uninstalled  Media Centre, installed Media Centre Lite then upgraded to Media Centre, like I've been forced to do more than a dozen times.  In Media Centre I tried loading my preferences but there was a long delay between my clicking on something and Media Centre responding.  Sometimes it would click back to a previous choice--I tried clicking on a default image choice for TV and suddenly I was back in the movie menu instead, for example.  Once I finally had everything chosen I went back to Roku home screen so Media Centre would move my media folders back to the top row.  I opened Media Centre, clicked to change the movie select choice from resume to latest and it crashed again.  So I'm going to have to start all over from the beginning again.  Is there any chance a version of Media Centre will ever be released that isn't so buggy and unstable?     

Hi @@jhs39 - I have a new Roku 3 (4200X, V5.5Build 319) and new NAS both of which I have been putting through the paces with the MBMediaCentre upgrades this past week. I am now running V2.1 and it has fixed the crashes I have reported when selecting Search and Actor. I really like the grid/vertical scroll option also and the ability organize the home screen as I like.

The developers have been very responsive this past week to reported issues. It would probably be a big help for you to provide the same product and version information I just did and a clean server log attachement for them. Hope that helps.

Cheers, Tanamur

• Like 1

jhs39

One of the previous times Media Centre was buggy the developer said the logs would do him no good and the only way he could detect the problem would be if I gave him access to my library, which means giving him access to my hard drive.  I said no because I think that would be a serious security issue.  

I cannot access my music library in Media Centre.  The dev person said it was not a Media Centre issue.  My music library can be accessed in Media Centre Lite, Roku Beta Channel and Roku Official Channel.  The only place they don't work is Media Centre.  But it's not a Media Centre issue.

I've had Media Centre crash and become inoperative at least 15 times in the past month, sometimes when I was doing specific functions, sometimes when I opened a file it didn't like, sometimes for no apparent reason.

Media Centre is the version you pay for.  It shouldn't crash all the time.  If they can't get it to work right they should port the better features like the grid interface into the official or beta versions and just kill it.

Joe

im85288

Media Centre is free for all now actually: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/8503-mb-media-centre-goes-free/ 

You have not mentioned once the version number you are using, the MB3 server etc. I do always try to help everyone as much as possible, however in this case I think it would be best for you to either start developing yourself (so that things work perfectly as you want them) or to switch to the official app. 

jhs39

I am not a computer programmer so I'm not in a position to develop my own Roku  channel.  Suggesting that I develop my own channel if I don't like yours is appalling customer service.  I paid for Media Centre, even if it is free now.  I am using Media Centre version 1.14 and Media Server version Version 3.0.5309.26857.  The reason I use Media Centre in spite of the seemingly never ending bugs is that I have large media collections and scrolling through the single line interface on the official and beta channels is a pain in the ass.  If the official or beta channels incorporated the grid interface I would stop using Media Centre immediately.    

psykix

I am not a computer programmer so I'm not in a position to develop my own Roku  channel.  Suggesting that I develop my own channel if I don't like yours is appalling customer service.  I paid for Media Centre, even if it is free now.  I am using Media Centre version 1.14 and Media Server version Version 3.0.5309.26857.  The reason I use Media Centre in spite of the seemingly never ending bugs is that I have large media collections and scrolling through the single line interface on the official and beta channels is a pain in the ass.  If the official or beta channels incorporated the grid interface I would stop using Media Centre immediately.    

You are way behind in version.

Update to the latest one from this post.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/8503-mb-media-centre-goes-free/?p=111506

jhs39

I will try that.  I thought Roku channels were updated automatically.  Do I need to follow the thread in the future and update Media Centre manually?

psykix

No, I think the channel changed - my version didn't update from 1.21 and when I asked there were two channels.

Install the one from that thread and you should be ok and it should auto update itself.

It's working fine here anyway.

Edited by psykix

jhs39

I updated Media Centre.  I am still getting the exact same error message that I got with earlier version when I try to open my music media folder: "There was a problem while attempting to get the collection list from server.  Please make sure your server is running and try again."  The media folders for movies, adult movies, TV and collections all open immediately.  The only one that will not open is music.    http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/System/Logs/Log?name=server-63541424717.txt

I'm not sure if that's the right way to attach a server log.  Some logs show up in My Media/Attachments but they are not the most recent logs and I couldn't figure out how to get logs that weren't already in the window to come up.   

psykix

I updated Media Centre.  I am still getting the exact same error message that I got with earlier version when I try to open my music media folder: "There was a problem while attempting to get the collection list from server.  Please make sure your server is running and try again."  The media folders for movies, adult movies, TV and collections all open immediately.  The only one that will not open is music.    http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/System/Logs/Log?name=server-63541424717.txt

I'm not sure if that's the right way to attach a server log.  Some logs show up in My Media/Attachments but they are not the most recent logs and I couldn't figure out how to get logs that weren't already in the window to come up.   

That log is only accessible to you since it uses localhost.

See this post for reporting a problem : http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/?p=23949

FWIW, I can play my music from both the music categories, and also from the Music folder under media folders.

jhs39

I can access my music media folder in Media Centre Lite, Roku Official and Roku Beta.  The only place it doesn't open is Media Centre.  I can also play music in Media Centre through the music shortcut, but that way makes it much harder to browse through my music collection since I have a lot of albums.

Here's the latest log.  I hope I did it right this time:

http://paste2.org/Lz0FOfat

I also tried creating a brand new Music Folder (Music+) for my collection but I ended up getting the same error message.

Joe

jhs39

Ok.  I was looking for errors because it's way over my head.  All I found were errors relating to the auto collection plugin but all of my collections are complete so I'm not sure what the errors mean.  Thanks anyway for looking.  

Edited by jhs39

jhs39

I updated to Media Centre 2.4.  Still can't open my music media folder, which works fine on the other Media Browser Roku channels.  Media Centre also crashed when I clicked the music icon and then clicked artist--the screen went back for about 30 seconds and then my Roku 3 rebooted.

Edited by jhs39