Library access

AlphardvB

Q-Droid

You've been focusing on /media/pi/kids. Keep in mind - it will save a lot of headaches - the OS user emby and/or the OS group pi need to be able to access every directory leading to kids. Needs access to /media (r-x) and /media/pi (r-x) and /media/pi/kids (r-x)

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Like 1

mark-in-dallas
8 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

You've been focusing on /media/pi/kids. Keep in mind - it will save a lot of headaches - the OS user emby and/or the OS group pi need to be able to access every directory leading to kids. Needs access to /media (r-x) and /media/pi (r-x) and /media/pi/kids (r-x)

In the second post on page 2 he posted an image showing that Emby is able to see the media and pi directories, which is why I focused on kids

8ABA7673-23FB-4D4B-968C-0006648F6A88.jpeg.91848e021f3bd17fa17672567b6f6169.jpeg

Edited by mark-in-dallas

Q-Droid
5 minutes ago, mark-in-dallas said:

In the second post on page 2 he posted an image showing that Emby is able to see the media and pi directories, which is why I focused on kids

That's good. Even though pi is listed was the OP able to go into it? It looks like /media is good but not proof of /media/pi access, unless I missed that check as well.

• Like 1

mark-in-dallas
2 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

That's good. Even though pi is listed was the OP able to go into it? It looks like /media is good but not proof of /media/pi access, unless I missed that check as well.

We had him add emby to the pi usergroup, so that should allow access, but you are right we didn't verify he could touch pi directly.  I'm going to have a look around his Emby admin and see if I can't get it working for him, and if not we can look at and verify media and pi access.

mark-in-dallas

Q-Droid was right!  AlphardvB allowed me to SSH into his server and I found that the pi directory had ACL permissions set: drwxrwxrwx+.  What I did to fix it was to install ACL, then run setfacl -bn pi to remove the special permissions, then chmod them correctly and was then was able to add /media/pi/kids in Emby.

Edited by mark-in-dallas
  • Like 2

mastrmind11
57 minutes ago, mark-in-dallas said:

Q-Droid was right!  AlphardvB allowed me to SSH into his server and I found that the pi directory had ACL permissions set: drwxrwxrwx+.  What I did to fix it was to install ACL, then run setfacl -bn pi to remove the special permissions, then chmod them correctly and was then was able to add /media/pi/kids in Emby.

duh.  well done, I didn't think to ask to see the output of ls -l on the pi directory.

• Like 1

AlphardvB

I have promised to Mark-in-dallas to not reinstall my Pi anymorefor the next 18 years. I hope I can keep that promise. But for the fun, cause I have several pi's becoming dusty, I'm going to install emby on another pi, connect another harddrive to it and than from step to step I will write myself a manual and will post it here, with pictures so every giant-noob like me can understand it. 

Mark-in-dallas: Thank you very very very much for your effort and for solving the problem. mastrmind11: thank you for thinking it through and for your patience (as thin as it is at the moment :P) And Q-droid, also thank you for stepping in and your tips.

mark-in-dallas
21 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

duh.  well done, I didn't think to ask to see the output of ls -l on the pi directory.

Thanks, and don't feel bad neither did I, until I actually saw it.  :)

If it had not been for the help that you gave me 5 or 6 months ago when I was new to Linux I would have probably bailed on it and stuck with Windows, 

• Like 1