Promoting Emby

Abobader

rbjtech
8 hours ago, darkside40 said:

In our Kodinerds Forum we regulary promote Emby as a solution as centralized Kodi backend.

Plex is not very common among our users.

For myself, i have an Emby Lifetime License, but i think i will make a small Setup and give Jellyfin a shot. Not because it is free, but because it is open source. I found some quirks in Emby the last days which are very frustrating.

I think a lot of us have done that - but mine lasted a couple of days and then fizzed out in frustration.   It has some 'nice' features tbh - adding clients login via a TV code is very cool - but the clients themselves are very lacking - it's like using emby from maybe 5 years ago.  The web client is the best.   Being fair to them, I think they have come a long way in a very short time as when I last used it (maybe a year ago) it got removed within 5 minutes lol.   If I had to pay for an emby lifetime sub vs JF - it would be a tough call tbh.

quick tip - if you install on the same ip as emby, remember to shutdown emby first as it uses the same default port .. and then change on JF before firing up emby again .. ;)  Really not sure why they continue to use this port - as while emby obviously do not 'own' that port - it's a well known fact that emby used it first .. seems a bit 'off' of JF to continue to use it imo.

scb99

@rbjtech Interesting about JF thanks.

The "open source debate" is interesting as Emby went the other way then Jellyfin forked it as I understand the history.

I have the impression in Emby at the moment that when one thing changes it steps on a thousand other toes and the whole thing needs a step back and good look at the architecture.

I wish I had more (actually any) time to invest, to for instance look at the new Emby SDK.

Edited by scb99
  • Agree 1