Promoting Emby

Abobader

arrbee99

Sounds good.

Not sure if you have thrown caution to the winds yet, but if you ever get Premiere Autoboxsets does most collections automatically.

Edit - thing you need Premiere for Boxsets, probably.

Edited by arrbee99

bizarro252

Thanks, I do have premier, I will look for that plugin - the one I am struggling with is MST3K, which has very odd titles/"episodes" (even I am not sure if I should call them TV shows or Movies lol.

arrbee99

Must admit, thats a new one on me.

Have you tried the Identify button in Emby (under the three dots button probably) ? Or might help to identify it in imdb or TVDB and copying their id code into Emby and then updating metadata.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
scb99

Changing the subject ... just browsing this thread, I also came to Emby from Plex I guess a year or so ago. Still have Plex on my servers but 99% of my usage is Emby now. Emby is just so much better on the things that matter to me - library management, transcoding, and quality of remote viewing. Also the attention and support from the developers here is a really enormous USP. They are really driven by the userbase on core functionality, not endless new partnerships etc.

Plex is only on my servers for:

- Backup if Emby crashes (didn’t happen for months)

- Playback of something Emby does wrong (also didn’t happen for months)

-search all servers from client, emby has to search a server at a time so plex is handy for that

- playback on my old Samsung tv, I think there’s a backdoor way to install emby but i can’t be bothered.

It’s interesting I seem to be part of a trend to Emby in the last year and I think it’s well-earned.

• 7 months later...
mark-in-dallas

I have been a very satisfied Emby user for about a year or so now, and have promoted Emby on a couple of best media player, media server, media this that that or the other websites, as well as on a non entertainment related forum that I run which gets around 1,500 to 2,000 unique visitors per day.

I used to use Plex, but pretty much stopped using it within a day or 2 of finding Emby and completely ditched Plex probably 6 or 8 months ago.  The only place that it even still resides is on a TIVO OTA box that I have, and that's only because I can't uninstall it.

• Like 2

Truck24000

OK!

This has been a long time coming and I'm sorry i haven't mentioned it earlier.

First i have to say that i was a long time Lifetime Plex Pass holder (still am), but Plex kept having issue after issue starting about 2 years ago with me.

Movies would not play correctly or they would change what they gave us with no excuse as to why. Music stopped with the Plex mix which was an awesome thing for my rather large 

music library, to hit a song I liked and then it would create a playlist of similar type music. But they took that away without a notice as to why.

I would contact them on their forum sites and would hear nothing from anyone 98% of the time!  So i started looking into alternatives to them and kept seeing Emby come up in almost every query i made.

I installed Emby on my Unraid system and was blown away at the difference.  Movies that did not want to play on Plex would play perfectly in Emby. Granted it did take some getting used to on the UI but now my wife knows it better then i do and that's an awesome compliment to you guys!

I did have a few issues with setting up Emby and with other things not working correctly, but when i left comments in the forums i found within a few minuets to a few hours i was being helped with great advice and i when something could not get figured out they found there was an issue and then fixed it!! I could not believe that i was able to comment on something and they found and fixed the issue and then said on next update it would be fixed and damned if it wasn't fixed!!

i made comments about music stopping at the last few seconds of a song in a playlist and they said they would look into it and then one day while playing a playlist we noticed it played straight through with no issues!  NOW THAT'S SERVICE!!

I have now purchased the Emby Premier so that i can help and contribute a small bit with the developers of Emby.  

I have now started all my friends and family that were on Plex an Emby Account so now they are all using Emby now with just a few still on Plex (cause they are not good with change at all lol).

There are two moderators who have helped me and also guided me into the right direction so that i can find and do some things myself which i appreciated very much!! They are Luke and EBR!

Just thought this was a long time coming and wanted to say THANKS for all your hard work and help when I mess things up!

Edited by Truck24000
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
MichalSon

Hi !

I'm a very old media browser user !

I'm happy to tell you I post two tutorials on youtube for french people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iYpiuWW34U and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzRL4_0KRlg.

These are very specific, I try to explain why it's important to organize precisely media files in folders... on the computer. And the link between this organisation and the display within media libraries in emby. It seems obvious for old users but for new comers to hptc I think it's important.

All the video long you see emby interface, so hope it will help the community.

Thanks for your long and great work.

• 3 months later...

There are a lot of methods of promoting this website, anyways I love that this community is always helpful and very active.  It shows that we really have power to do something just staying in front of our PCs. I also have a personal website but I don't have so many people online there, so I cannot do things like this. In this situations, there are a many good agencies like https://crowdo.net/blog/crowd-marketing/ that can promote your products through different effective digital marketing tools.

Edited by Heatlsh

50 minutes ago, Heatlsh said:

There are a lot of methods of promoting this website, anyways I love that this community is always helpful and very active.

HI, welcome, and thanks for the feedback !

On 11/3/2020 at 7:17 PM, Luke said:

HI, welcome, and thanks for the feedback !

Thank you very much, appreciate that!

• 1 year later...

Maybe it's dead post but I'll try to give my feedback.

Please consider adding "Dev Diary" once per week/two weeks. Current Emby Blog section sometimes feels dead. Adding more content may improve visits counter and help with "promoting Emby" mission :) 

Good example of "Dev Diaries" is for example those on Paradox games forum, also devblogs from Microsoft etc. Just to show users that Emby is alive and active and have some sneak peeks for upcoming futures, challenges etc. 

I try to visit Blog from time to time and I'm always disappointed seeing how stale it is.

Edited by barat
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, barat said:

Maybe it's dead post but I'll try to give my feedback.

Please consider adding "Dev Diary" once per week/two weeks. Current Emby Blog section sometimes feels dead. Adding more content may improve visits counter and help with "promoting Emby" mission :) 

Good example of "Dev Diaries" is for example those on Paradox games forum, also devblogs from Microsoft etc. Just to show users that Emby is alive and active and have some sneak peeks for upcoming futures, challenges etc. 

I try to visit Blog from time to time and I'm always disappointed seeing how stale it is.

Hi, yes we'll try to do more frequent blog posts. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, barat said:

Meanwhile last post is from 29 Nov ... oh well, probably there are better ways to promote Emby :)

Actually we'll have some next week. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Dreakon13

My suggestion is waiting around the Plex subreddit for their login/auth servers to go down, and subtly "promoting" Emby in the threads that pop up when people ask about better options. ;)

(Kidding.  Sorta.)

Edited by Dreakon13

• 1 year later...
Gilgamesh_48

This thread got me thinking a bit.

I wonder why Emby needs promoting? Were they held back or something? What grade are they trying to be promoted to or from?

But, just as a point of info. Do not try to post anything about Emby in any forum/board the Plex controls. They are VERY sensitive an sometimes a mere mention of Emby, unless it is detrimental to Emby, can get you banned and the post deleted. They are VERY thin skinned.

arrbee99

I'm very seldom bored enough to be browsing round any Plex forums.

But I still think Emby is stuck in the middle. If you're interested in rolling your own media server, everyone's heard of Plex, as its the biggest, and more and more people have heard of Jellyfin, because its free.

darkside40

In our Kodinerds Forum we regulary promote Emby as a solution as centralized Kodi backend.

Plex is not very common among our users.

For myself, i have an Emby Lifetime License, but i think i will make a small Setup and give Jellyfin a shot. Not because it is free, but because it is open source. I found some quirks in Emby the last days which are very frustrating.