Promoting Emby

Abobader

arrbee99

Mentioned before, but I also think it would be nice for Theater to have completely horizontal and completely vertical options instead of the combo we have at the moment. I should imagine (just guessing) that might make it easier for people to come up with themes for Theater as well in that case.

Thanks.

Can you please explain exactly what you mean here:

I don't know where that is the case.

There you are talking about the "tabs" at the top and then the toolbar that lets you configure the grid - correct?  How would you suggest we "greatly simplify" that?

Thanks!

The reason for that is just because that is how the platform is designed to operate so that is how we implemented it.  We do plan to try to implement a vertical feature but I'm curious why scrolling vertically would provide you any faster access to your items than horizontally...

One of the things I think Plex did get right on the ATV is the movie VERTICAL listing.  It is real easy to use and easy to read.  Navigation wise it's much, much faster I find them Emby as well.

In Plex on the right side of the screen is the # to Z "alphabet".  So if I want to navigate to the movie "Tyrannosaur (2011)" I can navigate to the letter "U" on the right side which jumps me to movies starting with U.  I can then scroll up a tad and find this movie.    So the lettering on the right isn't a "filter" but a "jump to" which make navigation quite easy regardless of amount of entries.

I know a lot of people like Horizontal listings but I'm not one of them. If you take a screen full of Plex Vertical movies and a screen full of Emby Horizontal movies the vertical list is much easy to read (forget about navigation).  Vertical simulates the way we read a page in English.  We start at the top left, read that line fully to the right then move down to the next line and repeat until we get done.  That is vertical scrolling.

In Emby with small icons I get 3 rows and have to read them down the first column, then move to next column and read down, then move to next column and read down.  That to me is much more fatiguing way to read that isn't natural as we have been taught our whole lives to read across the line then move down and do it again.

In Emby on the ATV if I want to navigate to that same movie "Tyrannosaur (2011)" I have to click the "T" up top in the ABC icon which then FILTERS (not jumps) my movies that start with T.  I then need to scroll through 2500 movies to get to the end. I just tried this and it took 9 seconds to scroll through my Ts when holding the RIGHT button down.  Unfortunately it scrolled into the Us so I had to back up.  That leads to something unique in that what I just said isn't true.  When I selected "T" it didn't filter movies only to "T" but from "T" onward.

I'm just thankful I can use voice search on the ATV which helps mitigate this issue.  My dad has a Roku Premier in his bedroom and hates to use Emby for movies for similar reasons and will use Plex for them.

Besides the vertical/horizontal issue I love being able to adjust the size of posters in Emby and I can fit a lot more movies on one page in Emby than in Plex (super big posters) on my 75" TV.  I prefer the Emby client over the Plex client except for what I just described navigation wise.  The "alphabet" on the right side of vertical movies is really nice IMHO.

So if the ATV worked the same way as the web client I'd be super happy with the right side alphabet becoming a true "jump to" with up-scrolling support (need this in web as well).

My dad has a Roku Premier in his bedroom and hates to use Emby for movies for similar reasons and will use Plex for them.

The Roku "All Movies" view is a vertical grid now...

I don't like the current Vertical "episodes in a season" list of the ATV app.

Would prefer that to be Horizontal.

If we could have the option for the user to decide, like in ET, that would be awesome.

Edited by CBers

Yea the Roku app is vertical. Why would you say that?

Sorry, thought we were discussing the ATV app.

I've amended my post.

Sorry, thought we were discussing the ATV app.

I've amended my post.

Luke was responding to Cayars statement about the Roku All Movies grid.

As far as your issue, the only place you get a vertical listing of episodes in Android TV is when viewing a Season and I believe that is consistent with all the other apps.

P.S. we need to stop this discussion in this thread...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
VaporTrail

What apk?

I apologize, I guess there's a bunch of these. Upon review I'm actually referring to another YouTuber who was using Emby & wanted to switch to an APK after the one partner deleted 90% of their videos when they didn't get rich off the scheme. Oh the melodrama. If I could find the video I'd link it.

• 4 weeks later...
Jdiesel

I noticed something interesting today when viewing the comments of an Android Police article today about a sale Plex is currently running. Android Police, like many other tech sites, seems to post something about Plex every change they get praising the service. Maybe these are advertorials....

Anyways the comments about Plex where almost unanimously negative and many of the comments were recommending Emby over Plex or about positive experiences Emby users have had making the switch. I decided to dig back a bit further and look at similar Android Police article posted almost exactly one year ago. Not a single mention of Emby in the article and the overall tone of Plex was generally positive.

So either:

1) Plex really dropped the ball in the last year

2) Emby has surpassed Plex in terms of user experience

3) A little of both

• Like 1

mastrmind11

I'd be interested to see the new subs/premiere activations yoy.  That'd likely tell the story.

Chyron

I added sahebk's Emby logo to the Emby article on Wikipedia.

Being a recent full-time convert to emby, I've been poking around trying to learn the history of Emby (or Media Browser). I really feel that someone should update Emby's wikipedia page with details about where Emby came from and a brief rundown of its development history. As Doc Brown put it in BTTF: Were we came from; where we're going; the pitfalls and the possibilities; the perils and the promise.

It certainly would help me personally to better promote Emby word-of-mouth if I knew more about its history to use in conversation. That and I personally would find the topic fascinating to read about.

Edited by chyron8472
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
bizarro252

I am a new convert but I know I will be spreading this around where I can.  I, like many it looks like lol, am a convert from Plex.  I even have a lifetime pass over there - but the DVR is why I bought the pass and it has been completely unusable since I bought it ~ 8 months ago.  So far no issues here at Emby!  

Just want to stop in here and say thank you to all the dev's, I am really enjoying everything so far, some of my favorites:

1. It actually works as a DVR !  WOWWW!

2. Collections, great idea and easy to use

3. Something as simple as the last item I clicked on staying green/highlighted - something I never would have thought of but a small feature I actually really like when doing something like adding multiple things to a collection, easy to tell where I was in the list.  (however I hope in the future there can be a bulk selection/checkbox added where I can select and add multiple things to a collection in one shot).

4. Stats for nerds, love it :)

5. Ease of switching subtitles right on the show from Roku, not having to go into multiple sub menus to do this!

And finally the support I see on the forums, Plex's forums are all but dead when it comes to actual employee's/reps responding.

Running your latest beta now and the only hiccup sofar was user error :)

Thank you!

• Like 1

arrbee99

Not quite sure what you mean but if you don't know, you can click on the box on the top left of a movie, it goes green, then you can click on more movies, right click one of those and select 'Add to Collection'...

3. Something as simple as the last item I clicked on staying green/highlighted - something I never would have thought of but a small feature I actually really like when doing something like adding multiple things to a collection, easy to tell where I was in the list.  (however I hope in the future there can be a bulk selection/checkbox added where I can select and add multiple things to a collection in one shot).

• Like 1

bizarro252

Not quite sure what you mean but if you don't know, you can click on the box on the top left of a movie, it goes green, then you can click on more movies, right click one of those and select 'Add to Collection'...

I did not see that, will give it a try as that sounds like exactly what I was looking for.  I had my view in 'list' and was moving them one at a time, didn't see/notice the boxes (or I just need to not view in list) - thanks!

• Like 1