Promoting Emby

Abobader

im85288

"Less user-friendly than Kodi" - that hurts ;).

I have to agree with the comment above...but most people around here would not be shocked at that :)

Edited by im85288

CBers

Thanks for the link.

"Less user-friendly than Kodi" - that hurts ;).

I have to agree with the comment above...but most people around here would not be shocked at that :)

Sorry Ian, but I have to agree with Eric on that one.

Kodi must be the most unfriendly UI I've ever used, which is why I chose Emby (MediaBrowser as it then was) all those years back :D

• Like 2

swhitmore

After using Kodi for quite awhile, it was definetly harder to both setup and use then Emby Theatre.

• Like 1

im85288

Sorry Ian, but I have to agree with Eric on that one.

Kodi must be the most unfriendly UI I've ever used, which is why I chose Emby (MediaBrowser as it then was) all those years back :D

I think this is like the marmite analogy....you either love it or hate it. And of course pretty hard to compare since Kodi is more standard across devices (ie whatever skin you use on linux/mac/libreelec etc etc gives you the same experience throughout) Emby is getting there but has different apps for android, different for windows, different for roku, different for samsung tv etc etc

For a standard consistent flexible UX experience for a user across multiple platforms I don' think it can be beaten.....but I'm certain many will disagree :)

• Like 1

swhitmore

Emby is getting there but has different apps for android, different for windows, different for roku, different for samsung tv etc etc

Emby Theatre is pretty much there now though. I use it on my Android phone, Windows HTPC, Surface Pro 4, the web app when I'm on my work laptop, and now the Xbox One. The UI is standard across all of these. The best part is that there is very minimal setup required.

While I did like Kodi when Emby Theatre was still in development, it was an absolute PITA to setup, and never worked correctly either (I was never able to get Next Up working properly)

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

im85288

It was an absolute PITA to setup, and never worked correctly either (I was never able to get Next Up working properly)

I guess it;s not for everyone...especially not on these forums  ;)  I don't want to get into too many details but I have been PM'd a fair few times on the Kodi forums with the opposite opinion...anyway as I said some love it..some hate it!

Next Up I developed and can't recall you posting about it....it works fine for a huge number of users (I won't reveal the number of downloads...but it's massive!)...most likely issue is you used Emby for Kodi without direct paths...which I'm afraid is not the native kodi experience as it misses out on quite a few features that Kodi relies on when direct paths are used.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Sorry, not the next up plugin, but just showing the next video you're watching.

I reported that one a number of times.

Edited by swhitmore

CBers

...anyway as I said some love it..some hate it!

Agree.

My son loves it and has used it for years, but I finally managed to get him to use Emby server as the backend and the Emby for Kodi plugin, so now he has the best of both worlds :D

• Like 2

Vidman

Emby Theatre is pretty much there now though. I use it on my Android phone, Windows HTPC, Surface Pro 4, the web app when I'm on my work laptop, and now the Xbox One. The UI is standard across all of these. The best part is that there is very minimal setup required.

While I did like Kodi when Emby Theatre was still in development, it was an absolute PITA to setup, and never worked correctly either (I was never able to get Next Up working properly)

How are you using theatre on android?
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
Blueeyiz702

I must speak up and say this about Emby, its the one Media Platform that never seems to get caught up in all

the negative talks that go on about Pirating, That's why Promoting it is such a plus,there ain't much negative to say if anything about the platform! It's awesome

and i'm sure with all the break thru's its made and the world class dev's we have it can do nothing but grow and grow! #TeamEmby

Edited by blueeyiz7021

• 1 month later...
Spaceboy

Although the fact you can get a lifetime licence isn't mentioned and per the comments that is putting some people off

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
CBers

Thought maybe a few of us could make some comments. There seems to be pretty sparse data in each category they listed and left tons of stuff out that Emby can do and does well.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/emby-vs-plex/

Hopefully Luke and @@ebr can have a read and see if there's anything they'd like to change, so that Emby is more competitive than Plex.

Saying that, I have used both of them and there's no way I'd ever go over to fully using Plex.

It's not just because of the time and effort I've given to Emby over the last x number of years, but the fact that there is more functionality available in Emby that isn't in Plex.

• Like 2