Promoting Emby

Abobader

In the interest of being good citizens, I've decided to hide the post because it comes from the private section of another community.

I'm glad everyone here likes the direction Media Browser is headed in. If you all don't mind, let's try to keep the focus of this discussion on that. Comparison with other products is natural and expected, but if the focus starts shifting entirely to another app, then this might not be the best place for it.

Carry on :)

• Like 1

I am telling to all my friends about Media Browser, and also sent a message to all my Xbox friends (over 250) telling them how cool is MB!!!

I really love MB it made watching movies easier than ever! I just have to connect my tablet to a TV and use my phone as a remote, it's just amazing. No more usb hard disks around the house!

I'm actually a plex user and have a plex pass subscription, so I'll have to go find that thread and have a look.

In all honesty I'd love to jump ship to MB3 as you guys have always been big supporters of fanart.tv, so if you could get to work on an unraid server component that would be cracking ;)

What is the Kodi integraton like?  As looking at the downloads section that would be the only option for my NUC2820 without a windows license.

thefirstofthe300

@@PhAzE I believe put together an unRAID plugin. I haven't seem him around the forums in a while though. I think it had to do with personal things going on.

As for the Kodi addon, it seems to be one of the best supported clients around based on the activity from the devs. There are a number of skins built specifically for the addon so it is definitely worth giving it a try.

• Like 2

Merlinium

Heard about mediabrowser from plex forums, I have been using plex for a few years now, moved to that platform after xbmc would not work for what I needed. Now plex is starting to shift away from what I need in a media server. Thought I would give Mediabrowser a try to see if it fills my needs.

• Like 2

jluce50

Heard about mediabrowser from plex forums, I have been using plex for a few years now, moved to that platform after xbmc would not work for what I needed. Now plex is starting to shift away from what I need in a media server. Thought I would give Mediabrowser a try to see if it fills my needs.

Welcome to the club! :)

• 1 month later...
barnabas1969

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I just discovered that Media Browser has been renamed to "Emby".  I realize that the name "Media Browser" might have been too generic, but when someone searched for "Media Browser", the first thing that appeared was mediabrowser.tv, even if you use a non-personalized search site like duckduckgo.com.

In case you don't understand what I mean by "non-personalized"... Google, Bing, Yahoo, and most other popular search sites personalize the results based on what they know about your interests.  So, a person who is interested in Media Browser, Media Center, and similar topics, is likely to see "Emby" (aka Media Browser) near the top of the search results.  Other people... not so much.

When I search for "Emby" on Google... the first two links are to news articles which mention Media Browser as the primary topic.  The others are for Emby Press and Emby Music. People who don't know anything about Media Browser will not see the connection between "Emby" and "Media Browser"... especially when they search on Google, Bing, Yahoo, or other popular search sites.

When I search for "Emby" on duckduckgo.com, which is not "personalized" to my interests, the first page contains results for emby.net, emby.org, embypress.com, mediabrowser.tv, embyphotography.com, embymusic.com, embysocks.com, people named Emby, emby.tv, @emby on twitter (which has nothing to do with your software), and so-on.  

If I know nothing about "Emby", I am unlikely to click on the link for "mediabrowser.tv".

I understand your desire to distance yourself from the generic name "Media Browser", and open yourself to a more mainstream audience.  But... you really need to do some SEO!  Especially since emby.tv seems to make more sense than emby.media.  

When I watch the videos on emby.tv, I am seeing Jason Silva (the host of "Brain Games" on the National Geographic channel, aka "Nat Geo").  Those same videos are available on Vimeo and other sources.  I couldn't find an "about us" page on emby.tv, and the registrar for the site is a secret one.

Personally, I am wondering if your name-change is connected to the recent name-change of XBMC to "Kodi" (which is also a bad choice in regard to name recognition, but at least their site is the first result on both Google and Duck Duck Go).  If I named my software "John", do you think it would be easy for people to find it?

I think your name change was ill-informed, but... if you do nothing else, you need to engage in some serious SEO in order to make sure that you are the first result when someone types "emby" into the search box on the most popular search engines' websites.

Edited by barnabas1969

steve1977

There is a good thread starting on Emby in the VIP forums of trakt.tv. I am referring the folks to this forum to grow the user base.

Deafpapa

Put in a plug for Emby Android TV app in the Tronsmart Android 5.0 beta forum, Unfortunately while pointing out all the issues with there firmware. I did state it was one of the few apps that worked like it was suppose to and provided links for anyone that wants an option to Kodi.. Also posted a link in the Freaktab.com forum for anyone looking there.

• Like 2

Deafpapa

Your welcome. Been a supporter since 2011 but mostly lurking since the new forums started. Have used/tested Emby from WMC pc's to raspberry and now Android boxes. Keep up the great work.  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Blueeyiz702

Im alway showing off emby thru my facebook.showing different media view of how clean neat and fuctional it is,as well as how simple it makes your media collection to use.

also showed it of on google plus,one thing i notice is the coments are always positive not one negative.

Edited by blueeyiz7021
  • Like 1

2/5 for remote streaming? My roku and wp attempts Av been flawless... also no mention of wp remote app... poor review for us that imho

Can someone please point out in a comment that $70 and $150 are not "relatively comparable" costs... :).

Also, he says that we don't "step people through" setup but we do have a start up wizard on fresh installs.

jluce50

Can someone please point out in a comment that $70 and $150 are not "relatively comparable" costs... :).

Also, he says that we don't "step people through" setup but we do have a start up wizard on fresh installs.

Done and done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
shorty1483

2/5 for remote streaming? My roku and wp attempts Av been flawless... also no mention of wp remote app... poor review for us that imho

Was a typo by the author Mike. After I asked him in the comments, he changed the Remote points to 5/5 . Very fair imo. When looking the current reputation and the future potential, I think Emby will be Number one of Media Servers one day in the middle future. Atm I'm going into crusade for Emby with all my colleagues who use Plex :D

Edited by shorty1483