I Keep Losing Genre Images

GloverEggs

GloverEggs

I have genre images that I like.  These were stable on Emby for quite awhile, but then I noticed that they'd all been reset to the random 4xmovie images (example attached) again.  I reset them and next time I looked they had reset again.

Did I accidentally change a setting or something whereby my images are note staying or are being over written?

I can provide logs.  I just wasn't sure they were applicable to genre images.

image.png

Happy2Play

Since Genre are virtual and the server no long use say \metadata\genre anymore there technically is not way for Emby to maintain a customize image for genre and will always be overwritten during the dynamic image update.  There are a few topics.

PenkethBoy

i posted a few weeks ago on how to modify the database and create genre folders to stop this happening etc

should be easy to find - but its not for the novice to try as easy to stuff up your database

• Like 1

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

i posted a few weeks ago on how to modify the database and create genre folders to stop this happening etc

should be easy to find - but its not for the novice to try as easy to stuff up your database

We discussed it here, not sure about any where else.

Happy2Play

Basically newer installs no longer have a Path in the database for genre and the dynamic image system will update customized images do to no static path.  

@Luke 

Happy2Play

Currently the only way for custom genre images is to provide a path for every genre in the database. This example it for Genre type 21,  but MusicGenre is type 14 if you want to do the same for MusicGenre.

Always maintain a backup copy of the library.db if you are going to poke around.

Create a Genre folder in your Emby server metadata folder

Create a folder with each genre name

Open the database (sqlite database editor of your choice) and go to MediaItems table and filter type column with 21

Apply the path for each genre folder to the correct genre entry in the database (example put %MetadataPath%\Genre\Action path column for Action seen in the name column).  Steps will be slightly different if you use a custom metadata path.

Hide some column and filtered name to make easier to see.

edit.thumb.jpg.b751d809282dc116950d01fbb41106c4.jpg

If the folder has a image in it Emby will start using it, if not then when you customize it, it will be saved into that folder.

But this will need to be done with every NEW database.

genre.thumb.jpg.3e800279cab4d0f541c576bc99d8eced.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 2

GloverEggs

Thank you!  I searched for an answer and didn't find anything.

I will look into a database editor, otherwise it should be very straight forward.  

GloverEggs

It\s working.  I've done about half of them.  The only comment that I have is that the files need to be named 'poster.xxx' to be recognized.

Boy do I miss dBase III+,, but once I figured out how to actually  open the SQL database, it was very simple.  Thank you, again.

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, GloverEggs said:

The only comment that I have is that the files need to be named 'poster.xxx' to be recognized.

If you already have a image in the folder yes they need to be folder/poster.ext assuming you want a portrait view.  Name does not matter as the server will automatically name uploaded images according to the type you use.

tomnjerry74

What if, after replacing the genre images in the web-ui, the folder in which they are kept is changed to read-only? Would that stop the server from deleting them every update?

Edited by tomnjerry74

tomnjerry74

Actually, on .22 beta I can't even change music genre images, playlist images, anymore. When I try, I'm met with an infinite, laggy loading circle from emby. 

Edited by tomnjerry74

GhostRider
On 8/30/2020 at 1:59 AM, Happy2Play said:

Basically newer installs no longer have a Path in the database for genre and the dynamic image system will update customized images do to no static path.  

@Luke 

Lost my custom genres too, wondered why. Ar e there plans to bring support for custom genre inages back please?  @Luke

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
tmb4016

Hi Luke,

Can you please get round to looking at this ... The database hack that I'd happily been using now does not work. Since the rescan of music due to the recent change for metadate the Genres are being overwritten. 

The Metadata folders for the old genres are still there that worked previously and the database path is still correct for these genres but the images are getting re-written.

This only applies to MusicGenres though the movie and TV genres work as before.

I know the image side of things does not seem a high priority for you but it really is a pain in the backside for those users who prefer a common look to interface and instead get the crappy collage images.

Best Regards

• Like 2

GhostRider

Hi @Luke

On 31/08/2020 at 15:29, Luke said:

Yes there is.

Any update on reinstating custom genre art workplease? It is a real pain to manually have to readd them after each library scan. My custom Movie genre art work keeps gettting over written at each library scan.

Edited by GhostRider
  • Like 1

Luke, for years my custom Genre thumbnails would always be shown when clicking

on Genre menu heading. You've been saying for months now "We're looking into it." The default thumbnails are gawd awful ugly.

Please remedy this problem ASAP. How hard can it be? Thanx.

• Like 1

GhostRider
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Custom genre images being replaced will be resolved in Emby Server 4.6. Thanks.

That's good news thanks