Media Information.... Yes.. This again...

sumarious

sumarious

I understand that this topic has been brought up before, but it's an issue that really does bother me a considerable amount.

This is of course the "Media Information" that's displayed containing all sorts of technical details about the file you're currently looking at.

I have several issues with this, for multiple different reasons, and I am highly tempted to lock my server in revisional history just so I can go in and forcefully rip this information out without updating and having them put right back in place with the next version.

Issue 1... I just simply hate them being there. I don't like it, I think it makes it look unpolished, and I think it would look a lot cleaner if it was simply gone.

Issue 2... All of that information displayed is just about totally worthless to about 99.99% of the people who see it. They don't care about any of it, just want to click play and watch their media.

Issue 3... As someone who has to as a profession battle harden production servers, having unnecessary technical information displayed to an end user is never a good idea. Especially when that information contains information such as server file paths etc.. It poses a security threat and gives a potential attacker just another piece of information that could be used to exploit a service.

Now, I understand that this information can be diagnostically useful in the event you're having issues.

But it really should not be there unless the server is in "Debug" mode.

It's a simple check box in the admin interface, and an if check and an else in the ui code... And the entire situation can be resolved.

If you want the information there, put it in debug mode, if you want a clean interface, uncheck the box and get rid of it.

That being said, I don't want to seem that i'm ungrateful or that i'm attempting to be overly critical. For the most part I've loved Emby from first install, paid my lifetime fee and have no regretted it one bit. Coming from Plex, I had gotten very sick of the disdain the developers had for their users and their requests, and how they would often times become outright abusive in the forums. I've so far not experienced anything like that here and am thankful for it.

I've not participated much in the forums here, but I have read through quite a bit of them, and the devs here seem generally positive and helpful, and i'm hopeful that this request will actually be given some additional consideration.

Guest topbanana
30 minutes ago, sumarious said:

It's a simple check box in the admin interface, and an if check and an else in the ui code... And the entire situation can be resolved.

If you want the information there, put it in debug mode, if you want a clean interface, uncheck the box and get rid of it.

I personally really, really want the information to be present... ESPECIALLY the filename/path, so that i can sometimes spot the misidentification that emby makes (which is a lot more than most people realise!).

I fully support that there should be a admin and user level option to show/hide this info.  It would make it look cleaner to the end users.  But i definitely would be enabling it as soon as i install a fresh emby.

Options rock! 

Guest topbanana

You could also have three options:

1. Full Media Info
  2. Basic Media Info (e.g. resolution, audio track languages, subtitle languages, basic codecs)
  3. No Media Info

This would be more coding, but would be probably please more people.

Edited by topbanana

sumarious
13 minutes ago, topbanana said:

I personally really, really want the information to be present... ESPECIALLY the filename/path, so that i can sometimes spot the misidentification that emby makes (which is a lot more than most people realise!).

I fully support that there should be a admin and user level option to show/hide this info.  It would make it look cleaner to the end users.  But i definitely would be enabling it as soon as i install a fresh emby.

Options rock! 

That is one thing that I've had to become more focused on when I switched to Emby, and that is how my file system is organized and the way that files are named. I spend a considerable amount of time renaming files and folders and dropping them into their own folders from A-Z just trying to keep everything as organized as possible.

That's one of the reasons I would prefer that information not be displayed. Its a long and complicated directory structure leading back to the root of a NFS network share. And that's just not information that I want displayed openly to my on network and remote users.

Hi,

Try logging in as a non admin on your system and you'll see the information displayed is slightly different.  Users will not see path information but will get the video, audio, sub metadata.

• Like 1