[BUG] Wrong aspect ratio on home videos

Eselter

SamES

OK, this is like the issue @DJX is having, it's the reverse of your original issue.

What model TV do you have?  The reason it works via USB is that the TV is auto detecting the ratio correctly.  In some older models, this did not work originally for Emby (although it may be fixed now via a firmware update) so we manually set the ratio.

We could try going back to the auto method.  I will do some testing.

@Luke, please let me know if we can get the rotation imported soon.  Implementing this should be the lower risk option for the client.

• 2 weeks later...
jackydany

Hi,

im new to emby, just set it up yesxterday on a ubuntu VM.

I have the same problems with the tizen app. Videos are "stretched" to fill.

If i try the smatphone app (android) and use wireless transfer to tv, the video is in the right aspect, but now the orientation is wrong.

so if i have a horizontal video on android its perfect, but showing it on tv it's played vertically. apsect ration is fine then.

samsung ue55m5570

latest tizen app downloaded yesterday.

thanks a lot

16 hours ago, jackydany said:

Hi,

im new to emby, just set it up yesxterday on a ubuntu VM.

I have the same problems with the tizen app. Videos are "stretched" to fill.

If i try the smatphone app (android) and use wireless transfer to tv, the video is in the right aspect, but now the orientation is wrong.

so if i have a horizontal video on android its perfect, but showing it on tv it's played vertically. apsect ration is fine then.

samsung ue55m5570

latest tizen app downloaded yesterday.

thanks a lot

Hi, we are working on improving it. Thanks for reporting.

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2020 at 4:26 AM, Eselter said:

Any news about this? On 1.0.86 still the same problem.

We're still looking at this. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, DJX said:

I assume this is still being looked at? :)

Hi, what version of the app are you running now?

OK yes @SamES is still looking into this. 

Keep in mind that in some cases we are running into the limitations of the Samsung video player and what it supports.

• 1 month later...
baggytrowsers

Any update on this? This bug unfortunately makes watching home mobile-taken videos (as most are in portrait) unusable.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:04 PM, baggytrowsers said:

Any update on this? This bug unfortunately makes watching home mobile-taken videos (as most are in portrait) unusable.

We are still working on it. Thanks for the feedback.

• 7 months later...
grbharati

@Luke I am guessing I have the same issue. The video was taken with an iPhone. In emby, the thumbnail and metadata is as shown below. When Playing the video in web browser and samsung TV, the video is stretched (landscape) instead of portrait. And in iPhone and iPad the videos tries to play in portrait mode, but jitters and emby app crashes. Not sure how to move forward. All the home videos are taken in landscape mode but turned out to be portrait and now we cannot play them in emby. Please help.

image.png.f4d07b64bce8d9b948f7b48d0ded1026.png
image.png.91a1cb7f57fa8bcee2792df991a00582.png

9 minutes ago, grbharati said:

@Luke I am guessing I have the same issue. The video was taken with an iPhone. In emby, the thumbnail and metadata is as shown below. When Playing the video in web browser and samsung TV, the video is stretched (landscape) instead of portrait. And in iPhone and iPad the videos tries to play in portrait mode, but jitters and emby app crashes. Not sure how to move forward. All the home videos are taken in landscape mode but turned out to be portrait and now we cannot play them in emby. Please help.

Hi, yes we are working on improving it. Thanks.

SamES
1 hour ago, grbharati said:

Can you try refreshing the metadata for that movie?

I'm not sure which server version you are using, but Rotation has been added to the beta server.  If it is an older movie then you need to refresh the metadata for the file to get the Rotation value for the Video data.

Not all clients are using this, but the Samsung USB version should be doing this correctly now (presuming you are using the USB release, the Beta server and you refresh the file metadata!)

• 1 month later...
grbharati

Sorry, took a while to test the beta version, somehow the configuration files didn’t work for the beta server. I am using  Emby Server 4.7.0.40 beta

Now with the beta server, I can see the videos (taken in portrait mode) are displayed without stretching in the landscape mode. But it still plays in landscape mode as if I am rotating my screen.

I saw same behavior in ipad app, iphone app, edge browser. In iphone, it is easy to rotate the phone but not for others. I see lots of people are having similar issue but could not find the fix yet. I will try to capture all videos in landscape moving forth, but having ability to record in any orientation and play them accordingly is a plus. May be I have some settings wrong somewhere. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

5 minutes ago, grbharati said:

Sorry, took a while to test the beta version, somehow the configuration files didn’t work for the beta server. I am using  Emby Server 4.7.0.40 beta

Now with the beta server, I can see the videos (taken in portrait mode) are displayed without stretching in the landscape mode. But it still plays in landscape mode as if I am rotating my screen.

I saw same behavior in ipad app, iphone app, edge browser. In iphone, it is easy to rotate the phone but not for others. I see lots of people are having similar issue but could not find the fix yet. I will try to capture all videos in landscape moving forth, but having ability to record in any orientation and play them accordingly is a plus. May be I have some settings wrong somewhere. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Hi, you'll need to refresh metadata on existing videos in order for the server to capture some additional information in the database.

grbharati
8 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, you'll need to refresh metadata on existing videos in order for the server to capture some additional information in the database.

Actually, I created a fresh beta server and added the library, so I think the metadata were created by the beta server and not using the old ones. Anyway, I refreshed metadata for a video and ipad emby app played it in landscape mode, (the thumbnail is correct though: portrait)