Add 'Refresh Metadata/Images' button to mouse-over

Guest topbanana

Guest topbanana

Can we have a one-click 'Refresh Everything Metadata/Images' button appear when you mouse-over a movie/person?
It can perhaps appear in the bottom left corner opposite the existing three dots 'More' button for People, and the 'Played', 'Favourite', 'More' buttons for movies/episodes.
With one click of that, it'll do a 'Refresh Metadata - Replace All Metadata - Replace All Images'.
If anyone wants other options, they go do it the existing way obviously.

For many reasons, we have to or want to refresh items to make things appear, correct things...  and if you have to do this more than a couple of times, navigating through the context menus is a massive, laborious PITA, so making it a one-click button would massively speed things up, make it painless.  And the button only appears when others already do when mouse-overing, so it doesn't change the aesthetics.

Edited by topbanana

Happy2Play

But existing people would not factor into a Media item refresh as the person already exist and there is zero point if you refresh every Tom Cruise movie to refresh the actors that many times.

So People will always be a delicate subject as you could be black listed for say requesting Tom Cruise 20 times because you have 20 movies.  Service provides have requested to quit hammering their site so we will always be limited or they could always black list Emby's api key.

• Like 1

Guest topbanana

I'm not sure you get what i asked for.

Currently, if we want to refresh something, for whatever reason, we have to:

1. Mouse-over the item
  2. Click on the three dots 'More' button
  3. Chose the Refresh Metadata option off the context menu
  4. Tick the 'Replace Existing Images' option near the top of the dialog box
  5. Press the big 'Refresh' button all the way down at the bottom of the huge, mostly empty dialog box.

Instead, it'd be really slick to just have a refresh button on the mouse-over, so:

1. Mouse-over the item
  2. Click on the 'Refresh Everything' button.

The workings of the refreshing is not changed whatsoever, it simply does exactly as above, as it currently available, the existing functionality, no more, no less:
i.e.  Refresh Metadata - Replace All Metadata - Replace All Images

It just does that in one click.

Happy2Play

Personally I would like to see the multi-select come back to people cards.

Just now, topbanana said:

OK, let's not call it 'Refresh EVERYTHING'...

Lets call it 'Refresh Metadata/Images'

But one a movies/series/episode would be person name and if name exists already in database then nothing would happen for the People.  But you are just looking for a quicker way to refresh/replace image for one item a person.

Guest topbanana
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But one a movies/series/episode would be person name and if name exists already in database then nothing would happen for the People.  But you are just looking for a quicker way to refresh/replace image for one item a person.

I'm not looking for it to functionally behave in any different way than it currently does...
We have to press refresh for many different reasons, on many different things, expecting many different outcomes...

My request is:
Can we please press one thing instead of 4 things to do the same thing.
It's just saving mouse clicks.

Edited by topbanana

Guest topbanana
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Personally I would like to see the multi-select come back to people cards.

Also a valid feature request/restoration!

Happy2Play

But a options to replace anything should not be a single click choice, in my opinion.

Guest topbanana
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But a options to replace anything should not be a single click choice, in my opinion.

But we can choose to not replace stuff by going in through the existing context menu...

So we could call it ''Refresh & Replace All Metadata/Images'

So long as we know what the button is doing, it's ok.

I want a button that quickly sorts everything... Refreshing everything, getting updated metadata, getting new images...  In the same way that it does now when you press lots of buttons, choosing the above options.

Hi.  If the primary function you perform with your media is refreshing it, I think we need to investigate why that is.

This simply should not be something that requires that prominent of an option.

Guest topbanana

Right now, we still have the pesky 'corrupt people images' 'bug'... which means that we have to manually:

1. Mouse-over the item
  5. Press the big 'Refresh' button all the way down at the bottom of the huge, mostly empty dialog box.

For every blank person.....

So it'd be handy right now if we could just mouse-over the blank person and click the refresh button to quickly fix it...

This is only one example.
There are many reason to want to refresh everything... so as it's fairly common to want to do it, can we have the one-click button to hand?  It's just good UI/UX

Happy2Play

True and if one were to do a new install I would suspect there would not be a issue.  I believe it is more of a issue in older install.  I know none of my new portable installs show any issue and all previous isssues in old portables have been resolved.

Edited by Happy2Play

Guest topbanana
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If the primary function you perform with your media is refreshing it, I think we need to investigate why that is.

Posted at the same time...

Currently, we're needing to use it A LOT.

Happy2Play
Just now, topbanana said:

Right now, we still have the pesky 'corrupt people images' 'bug'... which means that we have to manually:

1. Mouse-over the item

For every blank person.....

So it'd be handy right now if we could just mouse-over the blank person and click the refresh button to quickly fix it...

This is only one example.
There are many reason to want to refresh everything... so as it's fairly common to want to do it, can we have the one-click button to hand?  It's just good UI/UX

I can assume you are only referring to 4.4.3.0, correct?

Guest topbanana
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

It's a fairly useful function, that you recommend people do a lot here in these forums, when sorting out stuff...  
And it's not in a 'prominent' place... it's appears when mousing-over and item, when you're expecting options to appear... And having a few handy options to immediately appear, instead of being buried down a level or two of context menus makes the UX better.

Currently, when we mouse-over an item, we expect a three dot 'more' button to appear in the bottom right hand corner.  Can't we have it that it also always has a 'Refresh' button appear in the bottom left hand corner?

It saves clicks.  Make the user experience a bit better.

Guest topbanana
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I can assume you are only referring to 4.4.3.0, correct?

Version 4.5.0.22 beta...

My corrupt people still show blank, and appear when you do a Refresh & Replace All Metadata/Images.

Happy2Play

Really wish I has a old database to test with as I don't have a system that this issue applies to any more.

Guest topbanana
4 minutes ago, topbanana said:

It's a fairly useful function, that you recommend people do a lot here in these forums, when sorting out stuff...  
And it's not in a 'prominent' place... it's appears when mousing-over and item, when you're expecting options to appear... And having a few handy options to immediately appear, instead of being buried down a level or two of context menus makes the UX better.

Currently, when we mouse-over an item, we expect a three dot 'more' button to appear in the bottom right hand corner.  Can't we have it that it also always has a 'Refresh' button appear in the bottom left hand corner?

It saves clicks.  Make the user experience a bit better.

There are 28 pages of search results for the phrase "refresh metadata" in the forums.

Currently there's nothing in the bottom left corner when mousing-over an item.
Having a refresh button there would be useful, time-saving.

Happy2Play

Personally I would protest a single click option that could replace anything.  Oops I clicked refresh on the library card and now all custom images are gone.  The feature has to be nested to some extent and 2 vs 3 clicks to me is trivial (okay 4 if you need to enable replace images) but should never be a grouped choice.  But hey everyone will have there own opinion.

Guest topbanana
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Personally I would protest a single click option that could replace anything.  Oops I clicked refresh on the library card and now all custom images are gone.  The feature has to be nested to some extent and 2 vs 3 clicks to me is trivial (okay 4 if you need to enable replace images) but should never be a grouped choice.  But hey everyone will have there own opinion.

I don't understand.
If you don't want to replace anything, you don't press the button that 'Refresh & Replace All Metadata/Images'.

And to have a safety measure.
Perhaps this option is not available on the library cards, top level stuff...  Or that if it is, it would then pop up a conformation dialog warning you that you might potentially replace lots of custom images, etc...

It's a refresh button...  
The definition of 'refresh' is to get new stuff.

The button for surgically refreshing stuff is available in the context menu on the other button.

And you'll only do it once! 😄😄😄
...Unless you have Homer Simpson tendencies!

Happy2Play

Every card has the same amount of clicks 3/4.  

Menu button (three dot)

Refresh metadata ( metadata options type and replace image option)

Refresh button

But hey I don't feel there is any issue with clicks, but somewone else will.

Edited by Happy2Play

Dibbes
49 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Really wish I has a old database to test with as I don't have a system that this issue applies to any more.

@Happy2Play If you feel like clicking around, I can give you access to my main server... I still have several thousand actors with a blank photo... ;)

Edited by Dibbes

Guest topbanana
10 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But hey I don't feel there is any issue with clicks, but somewone else will.

Until you have to do it numerous times...  then it quickly becomes annoying...  Especially in this case as the Refresh Metadata dialog box is MAHOOSIVE! (needlessly) and you have to move your cursor half way across the screen just to press 'Refresh'!

I don't get why people 'protest' a feature that makes using the software easier, quicker, simpler...
The magic of computer software is that it makes so, so, so much easier, quicker, simpler!!!!!!!!!!  That's what it's for!
It's UI/UX 101.  Why press 5 things when you can do it in one?

And as you correctly pointed out, it'd be genuinely useful if we could multi-select People...  We're after the same type of optimization here.