insight into why refreshing WiFi connection on server would solve buffering issues?

dance4ever
Go to solution Solved by sross44,

dance4ever

Hi!  I know it sounds silly to have a server on WiFi but I’m working with what I’ve got :)

Anyone know enough about WiFi networking to know why serious buffering issues are solved if I simply disconnect and reconnect my server to my WiFi router?

EDIT: I should add that accessing the server over Apple’s built-in Screen Sharing showed no noticeable issues in screen quality or lag.

I was really baffled for awhile because my CPU utilization was under 10% and rebooting Emby server didn’t help.  I tried all kinds of client devices and same issue.

Then when I had access to my server today, I toggled the WiFi and all my issues were solved.

I have a Mac mini server running on macOS 10.15.6.

While I realize it could be a variety of issues with the way my router is configured - I’m kinda curious if it’s time to replace it or at least experiment with a different one.  Clearly rebooting the router wasn’t necessary.

Edited by dance4ever

Q-Droid

Not enough info. 802.11g, n, ac? 2.4GHZ or 5GHz? 1x1, 2x2, 3x3...? Streaming bitrates during the times of buffering?

Here's a theory. Your server might have "roamed" from 5GHz to a slower 2.4GHz band for some reason and parked there until you reconnect. Or the other way around, from a strong 2.4 to a weak 5GHz signal. WiFi is finicky and can take many iterations of troubleshooting to find the problem. Or your router could be flaking out and a reboot can fix that for a few weeks or months, it happens.

I'm not familiar with Apple Screen Sharing though that implies a different transmission protocol, codecs and possible bitrates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
sross44

Were you able to figure this out? Honestly when I was running my Plex Server on my Mac Mini I would have the same issues. What year is the Mac Mini? The older ones 2010-2014 while great machines and still incredibly capable for servers, had some WiFi issues that are well known. Dropouts, non stable connections etc. I solved this originally (when I couldn’t run a network cable to the machine) by actually using a Powerline adapter. Crazy enough it actually worked well enough and fast enough to support the sever. Let me know if I can help anymore! 

dance4ever

hey thanks for all the responses.  my mac mini is a 2010 server and I’ve tried both the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands and because I don’t administrate the router, I don’t know how it’s configured exactly.

@sross44, I didn’t realize the wifi issues were well-known. This explains a lot - it got finicky at times when i first got the server (before Emby) and your comment confirms my experience!

I totally forgot about running Ethernet over AC.  Do you recommend the Powerline adaptor you have?  Which one is it?   My biggest concern is because the router is upstairs, I have a feeling it doesn’t share the same AC circuit (my understanding of what’s required for it to work well)

At some point, the server will be stable enough to get permission to just park it upstairs :)

sross44

Parking it next to the router would be my suggestion! What is keeping that from happening stability wise?

This is the one I've used in the past and it was on a different floor. Could help.... if not, send it back! https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Powerline-Pass-Through-TL-PA9020P-KIT/dp/B01H74VKZU/ref=asc_df_B01H74VKZU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309807187084&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15013668631814123985&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007574&hvtargid=pla-434473964379&psc=1

Edited by sross44

dance4ever

hey thanks for the pointer to the adaptor.

i use the mini for development so between all the other processes on it and having to switch between multiple OSes, its a bit more convenient to just have it downstairs for the time being :)

sross44
On 07/09/2020 at 22:25, dance4ever said:

hey thanks for the pointer to the adaptor.

i use the mini for development so between all the other processes on it and having to switch between multiple OSes, its a bit more convenient to just have it downstairs for the time being :)

Makes complete sense. Let me know if you end up going the adapter route and how it works for you if so.