CoverArt - Indicator Overlays for Boxsets

DarkKniyt (John)

DarkKniyt (John)

Would like to be able to add an "Indicator Overlay" to my Boxsets (Collections).
Would help to identify Collections that contain a Movie in say 3D format.

For example
I have a collection for Blade Runner but only 1080 & 4K versions. No Indicator needed.
Another collection for Avengers. One movie is only 4K but 3 others are 4K and 3D. 3D Indicator wanted.
This way when looking thru my Collections media, I can instantly tell which collections have 3D movies in them.
I can see this being helpful for 4K movies as well.

Thanks!

Hi,

But a box set itself isn't about 3D, 4K,, 1080 but related movies.  Inside the boxset you can have these multiple versions of each movie that will have the indicator.

DarkKniyt (John)

Cayars, I understand that.

But when I'm looking for a 3D movie to watch, I don't know if a collection has a 3D movie in it or not unless I open it.
It would be a nice option to have.

It's a valid request.  I'm just saying I don't think this was ever planned for, nor would everyone want this functionality.

Maybe a FILTER like in movie would help if that filter was available in COLLECTIONS view?

You can enable the multiple disc showing. Collections can show this. 

@cayars Were you not aware that collections can show little discs of the first 5 or so items in the collection as little discs on the image? You can tell bluray from dvd from etc. That is indeed possible. You just cannot see "THEM ALL" as little discs on the cover since the value there is NIL. There are a few different presentations available for collections and some do show the items inside.

Does that answer the question?

Edited by speechles

Yes, but there isn't a way not to only have things like 3D, 4D on the collections icon to note that one or more videos inside are 4K or 3D correct?

All the discs mean is that it's a collection vs a movie.

4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes, but there isn't a way not to only have things like 3D, 4D on the collections icon to note that one or more videos inside are 4K or 3D correct?

All the discs mean is that it's a collection vs a movie.

Some of those are multiple boxarts stacked up that have the type showing. DVD, Bluray, etc.. The CD multiples may not. 

If you mean though.. say I have star wars 7 and 8. Just those in a collection "New star wars" and got it all set. It is going to show the 1st version from each of those if there are multiple version. So if I put 4k and 3d and a crappy SD in the 7 and 8 folders for each. I want to show the collection it might show the crappy SD as the multiple boxart/cd. 

With versions it is entirely different since that is a paradigm not used with cover art yet. It needs to treat multiple versions like a collection. In regards to cover art only.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

An indicator on the collection of every single type of item and every version within those items can be too much. There has to be a limit on how many of these can show because the space on a poster is already very valuable. To plaster your posters with decals might reduce everything and water it down so that very little of the original poster is left uncovered. You can no longer tell the uniqueness about each poster. They all start to look alike. You know now which versions are in each collection but now the main information of what this item is about is not conveyed. You lose focus on what is really important.

The most important item on a poster is the poster. Everything else is simply badges. I have never seen badges take up a disproportionate amount of a persons body. I see a police officer. Their badge is a small part of their overall image. You must treat your poster with this same respect. 

You must balance covering up the poster while possibly losing the point of navigation with forcing a user to start to focus more on the badges. You can never lose the point of navigation. Pure posters and everything else is just covering up what you originally intended to see. Go too far with objects over the poster and you obliterate the intended purpose of navigation.

There can of course be times where you need those decals and badges. So having them in cover art is not bad. But having them on for all your users to experience is not user friendly to them. Cover art is universally applied to all users.

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play
53 minutes ago, DarkKniyt (John) said:

Cayars, I understand that.

But when I'm looking for a 3D movie to watch, I don't know if a collection has a 3D movie in it or not unless I open it.
It would be a nice option to have.

I don't believe there is a 3D filter, but the easiest route would be tagging all 3D content then filtering 3D tag or search 3D tag.  But potentially if all indicators were on the Collection cover you would not be able to see them all anyways.

There is a 3D and 4K filter in the normal movie section.  I was saying if we had that ability in the collections view that would allow him to see only collections that contain a 3D movie.  But we would need to be able to filter this way which is a bit different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cayars said:

There is a 3D and 4K filter in the normal movie section.  I was saying if we had that ability in the collections view that would allow him to see only collections that contain a 3D movie.  But we would need to be able to filter this way which is a bit different.

If we had "filters" available in all the apps along with the "group items into collections" able to be checked and unchecked that would probably cover this use case. They want to be able to tell which are 3D or 4K within their collections. If they could enter a library, filter by "3D OR 4K" and unchecked group items into collections this would occur exactly as they wish without the need to obscure the poster with more decals. The filters need to have AND, OR, NOR, <, > attached to them to make them really useful.

1980's comedies = year:1980 AND genre:Comedy
Everything from 1982 or 1983 = year:1982 OR year:1983
Everything 1980 except Horror = year:1980 NOR genre:Horror
Everything higher than comedy (drama,etc etc) from 1982 = year:1982 AND >genre:Comedy
Everything lower than 1985 = <year:1985

Just ideas to make finding what you are seeking with minimal formulas required. Just combine a few of those and you have a customizable filter to find anything.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

skidmarks

This is why i have my 3D movies in their own directory / library.  You can apply 3D cover art to all the movies in that directory and when they are added to the collections automatically the 3D movie will have the cover art on the movie folder...

Capture3d.thumb.JPG.d2cc6724319285e0f3eef79b730e031e.JPG

If you have users that dont have a 3D TV you dont share the 3D folder and they do not see the 3D movies in the collections.

Just a suggestion.

(not going to delete this post, but i see your looking for a way to mark the main folder with its contents, my bad)

Edited by skidmarks

DarkKniyt (John)

SkidMarks,
This is exactly how I have my 3D movies.
I have a Movies folder and a separate 3D Movies folder.
What I didn't like was exactly what your screen-print shows, the same movie multiple times.
I want to be able to use the "Versions" option to select which version to watch (3D, 4K, etc..).
I currently have my 3D Movies folder setup like this....
3D_Movies\Cars (2006)\
Cars (2006) - 3D
Cars (2006) - UHD
Cars (2006) - HD

This gives the ability to have one Cars poster with 3 versions to choose from - much cleaner to me.
If I have a Movie that does not have a 3D version, it goes into the Movies folder.
Also, I have my Movie Library pointing to both my Movies folder and 3D_Movies folder.
This allows me to see  movies that only have a 3D version in the Movies display as well as the Non-3D versions of movies that reside in the 3D folder.
This way I can have CoverArt assign a 3D Indicator Overlay to the movies in the 3D folder as you are doing.
Still, I would like to do the same to the Collection Poster.
This way, when I am looking thru Movies in the Movies display with Collections enabled, I would see that Cars has a 3D version in it.
Yes, I can already filter movies by using the "Video Type" filer and selecting 3D, but I would prefer seeing all my movie collections but still be able to identify a 3D movie.

skidmarks

Yah, i sometimes get lost in reading thru these topics...  sometimes the topic goes sideways from the original post and sometimes my brain goes sideways on its own! 

I use the multi-version approach for my 720 / 1080 / 4K versions.  Just not the 3D.  I am the only one that has one and unfortunately i think 3D has went the way of silent movies.