Restrict by tags: Additional option: Allow items with these tags

paddy-emby
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

paddy-emby

Request
I would like to request an additional option to the "Restrict Items With Tags" section of 'Users\Parental Control'

"Allow items with these tags". It would whitelist any item with the tag into a users library.

Reason
My children have an account with "Maximum allowed parental rating:" set to GB-U.

There are some media items rated GB-PG that I think are suitable to watch and would like to allow in their library.

Current System
Currently I would have to do either:

1. Select "Allow only items with these tags"; then manually tag all media suitable for the account.
  2. Select "Block items with these tags": Set the max "Maximum allowed parental rating" to GB-PG; and manually tag all media unsuitable for the account.

Both of these options are large undertakings. Option 2 also means future media might not get tagged and unsuitable GB-PG media might get through.

New "Allow items with these tags" Option
This would allow me to tag only the GB-PG media I thought suitable. Any new media on the server wouldn't be tagged, so wouldn't appear until checked.

• 4 weeks later...
paddy-emby
On 27/08/2020 at 18:46, Luke said:

HI, you should be able to do this with the next release. Thanks.

I noticed this was introduced in 4.5.0.50:

• Allow include tags to override parental rating restriction

I've just updated my server (via the official Docker image), but I can't see where this feature is?

image.png.4ca82c62b0e4404fab16e6d81f4c5f1c.png

Am I missing something?

paddy-emby
26 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, it's that same feature you've already been using. It's just a little more flexible now.

Are you able to explain how it's changed?

I can't get it to behave any differently than before.

Yes. Suppose you restrict a user to PG-13 or lower, but you want to allow them access to one individual R rated movie. You can now use the allow only items with these tags feature to do that, so it will take precedence over the parental rating setting. Of course the downside with that is it means you'll now have to tag everything once you add that filter.

paddy-emby

I thought that was how the system originally worked?

The original idea for this feature request was to avoid having to tag the entire library.

In my request a piece of content would show if the rating was within the max, OR, the movie contained a tag.

In pseduo code:

isMovieSuitable = (movie.Rating <= config.ParentalMaximum) OR (movie.Tags.Contains(config.RestrictedTags));
Edited by paddy-emby

No I think I didn't catch that part in your request. Yes we can do that but that will have to require checking a box because I'm not sure that everyone will want that.

paddy-emby

I saw it as an additional option in the dropdown:

image.png.83710d3de3bb5e872b9314f2eebcd5f2.png

In (more) pseudocode:

bool IsMovieAllowed(Movie movie)
{
  var movieHasTag = movie.Tags.Contains(config.RestrictedTags);

switch (config.TagRestrictionMode)
  {
    // Allow ONLY items with these tags
    case "include":
      {
      	return movieHasTag;
      }

// Additionally include items with these tags
    case "extra":
      {
      	var isParentalRatingAllowed = (movie.ParentalRating <= config.MaximumParentalRating);
      	return isParentalRatingAllowed OR movieHasTag;
      }

// Block items with these tags
    default:
      return !movieHasTag;      
  }  
}  

Edit: I appreciate that does prevent users from explicitly blocking content via tag

Edited by paddy-emby

Can you re-evaluate this with the 4.5.1 release? There was an issue with including via tags introduced in 4.5 that was resolved in 4.5.1. Thanks.

paddy-emby
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you re-evaluate this with the 4.5.1 release? There was an issue with including via tags introduced in 4.5 that was resolved in 4.5.1. Thanks.

I've updated to 4.5.1 and the "Allow only" and "block with" tag restrictions appear to work as normal.

Was there a specific scenario you'd like me to test?

On 9/30/2020 at 2:34 AM, paddy-emby said:

I've updated to 4.5.1 and the "Allow only" and "block with" tag restrictions appear to work as normal.

Was there a specific scenario you'd like me to test?

I believe it should be working now how you've outlined it in the case extra example.

paddy-emby
On 03/10/2020 at 15:40, Luke said:

I believe it should be working now how you've outlined it in the case extra example.

I don't see any change to how it was working before to be honest.

There are still just the 2 original options in the dropdown:

image.png.037c94ce8ff5f0d3a0cc620449d219bc.png

And they each work as before, with tagged movies either being blocked, or only showing the movie with the tag

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Did you try in conjunction with a rating?

Thought this was resolved in previous testing, but it currently does not allow Parental Rating and Tagged item with the Allow only items with these tags.  Allow only items with these tags only displays items that are tagged with set tag.

But from a Block items standpoint it is working.  All Parental Rating restrictions are applied and Block items tag to items that are within the Parental Rating can be blocked.

Edited by Happy2Play

4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Thought this was resolved in previous testing, but it currently does not allow Parental Rating and Tagged item with the Allow only items with these tags.  Allow only items with these tags only displays items that are tagged with set tag.

But from a Block items standpoint it is working.  All Parental Rating restrictions are applied and Block items tag to items that are within the Parental Rating can be blocked.

I tested by setting a user to max rating of pg-13. I was able to get an R rated movie to show for that user by assigning it a tag and then adding that tag to the allow items with this tag filter.

paddy-emby
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Did you try in conjunction with a rating?

My Kids account has a GB-U rating, and I added an "OkForKids" tag to a GB-U rated movie, with "Allow only items with these tags" set, and it was only that movie that was displayed. That was tested that with v4.5.0.

I've just tried to add a tag to a GB-PG movie in V4.5.1 and it doesn't persist? It appears on the "Edit Metadata" popup, but having pressed save and returned to the item library view, the tag isn't shown. Also, the movie doesn't show in the kids library. I tested on the desktop web interface, and the android app.

7 hours ago, paddy-emby said:

My Kids account has a GB-U rating, and I added an "OkForKids" tag to a GB-U rated movie,

Why would you need to do that?  That item is already included in the rating filter...

paddy-emby
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Why would you need to do that?  That item is already included in the rating filter...

"Allow only items with these tags"

I was testing that it only showed the item with the tag. This was on v4.5.0 which as far as I knew behaved as per previous versions and didn't take into account the rating filter.

I've tried testing it on v4.5.1 but tags I add to films are not being persisted on save.

3 minutes ago, paddy-emby said:

"

I've tried testing it on v4.5.1 but tags I add to films are not being persisted on save.

Make sure you're clicking the save button. I just gave it a test and it seems to be working just fine from here.

paddy-emby

I restarted the server from the dashboard and tags are now saving.

I added a tag to a GB-PG film, and only it showed up in the kids library:

image.thumb.png.8ba778ac2ce4b138723e80de08df3aac.png

computerprep

This is great that it works this way now.

As my kids grow up, they're testing the limits of Emby (and my patience), and they've asked if Emby can do something that I think would be the next logical step in this line of thinking.

What would be great (and I don't think available on any other home streaming platform) is a parental approval system. What I mean is that users could be set with two parental ratings, one that they can play themselves, and another level that's visible but requires an approved request from the designated parent user before they can play it.

I realize the back end of a feature request like this would take quite a bit of build out. I don't even know if it would be possible to do as a plugin, since it seems to me that it would rely on processes Emby doesn't support. But, you know, food for thought.

paddy-emby
On 04/10/2020 at 23:52, Happy2Play said:

That's what I'm seeing on my system, only Tagged items are displayed, not the Parental Rating items

On 05/10/2020 at 04:03, Luke said:

I tested by setting a user to max rating of pg-13. I was able to get an R rated movie to show for that user by assigning it a tag and then adding that tag to the allow items with this tag filter.

Maybe I'll update to v4.5.2, I know it was fixed in v4.5.1, but I'm not seeing it :(