Emby on Android TV with suspended Google Pay account

PeteS457

PeteS457

I have two nVidia Shield TVs in my home that just recently stopped working with Emby. From this forum, I understand that they were supposed to never worked, that it was an oversight that has been corrected. It is my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that by buying an Unlock App for each of these devices, they will playback as before. (I still can not deduce how much a Unlock App costs.)

My *exasperating* problem (with Google, not Emby) is that my Google Pay account was suspended in 2013 - by no fault of my own - but they have refused to restore the Pay capabilities associated with my long-standing Google account (since 1997). This is the account that is associated with my nVidia Shields. Is there a way around this problem so I can unlock the apps?

Thanks.

Hi,

The things that comes to mind for me would be to create a different Google account that you can setup and make payments with.  Then add that account to your Shield and log into the Play Store using the new working account.

You should then be able to purchase the app.  Once you have it purchased you would add the same account to the other Shield, do everything the same but instead of purchase, you would restore the app (since it's already purchased).

Hope this helps

PeteS457

First, thanks for the very quick response.

Yeah, I thought about that but I wanted to run it by Emby support first. Here's my question. If I buy the app with the alternate Google account, will that unlock the app for all users on the Shield? I won't have to always be logged into the alternate user on the Shield to use Emby unnlocked, correct? Because after I buy the app with the alternate user, I will want to return to my Shield setup under my primary Google account.

Also if that's the case, are you saying that one purchase will unlock the app on multiple Shield devices in the same household? If so, that's great.

Yes, that should work.  You will have to log into the Google account with the purchase and restore it on the other devices.

PeteS457

Excellent. One last question. Once I use the alternate account to purchase the App Unlock and use the alternate account on the other Shield to restore it, can I then remove the alternate user account from both Shield devices? Or does the user still need to be associated with the device?

You can likely remove it.  You could certainly always add it back again later if needed.

PeteS457

Well fellas, sadly it doesn't seem that simple. I'm going to need some additional guidance.

I have added another user to the nVidia Shield: USER A (my original primary gmail account with the suspended Google Pay) and USER B (the newly added alternate gmail account in which I've added a credit card to the Payments in Google Pay). However, when I try to play something from my Emby library on the Shield, I get the "Upgrade to Emby Premiere" with the Unlock App option at bottom. If I select Unlock App, it goes to "Add payment method at g.co/managewallet" and says add a credit or debit card to Google Pay (which I've done under the alternate account USER B). Then you're supposed to click on "It's Done" when you've done that (but it's already been done), but it goes no further and stays stuck on that screen. So, I don't know what to do now. How does Emby know which Google Pay account to access - USER A or USER B? I'm obviously not savvy about using multiple user accounts with the Shield.

Please help. Thanks.

@ebr

I'm pretty sure it's going to use the one you're logged into the Play store with.

It is also possible that the different Google accounts store completely different settings on the device - which would mean this wouldn't work.

• Like 1

PeteS457, this is fringe case for us, well for me at least, as it's not something I've ever come across before.

If you don't mind me asking. Are there any apps you run on the shield that require your original gmail account that couldn't be setup using the new gmail account?

PeteS457

Just FYI. I never solved this dilemma, but I found out that I have an Emby Premiere key that had not been applied to the server I was trying to attach to which resolved my problem. Thanks for the help.  I'm up and running on Shield now.

9 hours ago, PeteS457 said:

Just FYI. I never solved this dilemma, but I found out that I have an Emby Premiere key that had not been applied to the server I was trying to attach to which resolved my problem. Thanks for the help.  I'm up and running on Shield now.

That a nice "Find" :)

Can someone answer this for me I have a Google account at my home in South Carolina my sister used my Google account up in New York to download the emby app so right now when she uses the emby app it goes straight to emby connect no other options.. I was thinking maybe by using my Google account her emby app is not working properly.... with another option can I do this have her uninstall the emby app then have her  remove my google account from her shield then have her add her own google account then using her Google Play Store download the emby app again will that work

Also I dont know if I posted this earlier..but she is signed up to emby account ..I can login to her emby account on any device on my end..my shield..phone ..pc..ect. but she cant get nowhere past the emby connect screen at her home ..so I'm wondering that she might have to reinstall emby from her own Google account play store..any suggestions?

vdatanet

Maybe app goes straight to emby connect because she doesn't have any local Emby server. She can tap on "Skip" to manual config.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
Just now, Pittro said:

Also I dont know if I posted this earlier..but she is signed up to emby account ..I can login to her emby account on any device on my end..my shield..phone ..pc..ect. but she cant get nowhere past the emby connect screen at her home ..so I'm wondering that she might have to reinstall emby from her own Google account play store..any suggestions?

Sounds like your not configured for Remote connections.

Have you looked and the External Connections section?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

vdatanet
1 minute ago, Pittro said:

The unlock is tied to the store account not Emby account, as long as you use the same store account it should work.

1 minute ago, vdatanet said:

The unlock is tied to the store account not Emby account, as long as you use the same store account it should work.

But she would then have to stay logged in with his google account.

• Like 1

On my emby app in nvidia shield..if i click on my username at the top..I have an option to unlock app what does that do

Edited by Pittro

So what you guys are saying if I unlocked my emby app on my end here in South Carolina.. she would be able to use my google account with the emby app she downloaded..so that that could be the problem then ??

35 minutes ago, Pittro said:

So what you guys are saying if I unlocked my emby app on my end here in South Carolina.. she would be able to use my google account with the emby app she downloaded..so that that could be the problem then ??

No she really wouldn't be able to do that unless you use the same main account on each box.    She would have to stay logged in as you and couldn't go back to her own user account.  Then if she wanted to purchase an app (any app) of her own it would be your account and your CC that gets charged.  Not worth it for roughly $5.

But since you said you have a Premiere account you have her covered anyway.  So let her stay logged in using her own account and when she connects to your server she will be unlocked for free as your Premiere License can fully unlock up to 25 devices for everything including Live TV, and sync/download.

Basically everything on these charts in the linked article would be available to her via your Premiere license!

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix

Do that make it very clear?