shield tv pro w/hdmi splitter + optical out - no audio

foobar-tom

foobar-tom

Hi,

I do have installed my first shield tv pro box and having some problems setting up emby correctly. At least I don't know what the problem is...

I'm using a NAS/Linux based emby-server. Playback to other clients do work without problems (Win10-PC or smartphone). 

Using the shield tv pro I cannot manage to have the sound working - no sound at all with emby. When I connect the smb-share with all the media files directly to the shield tv I do have sound while playing the same video-file.

Updating to firmware 8.2.0 makes no difference.

My setup is shield tv pro (emby client) -> hdmi splitter -> a) hdmi (picture) -> TV

-> b) optical/toslink -> stereo

Help is deeply appreciated.

Hi.  Make sure your TV is setup to send audio out of that optical port.  The combination of the splitter and the optical connection are probably at play here.

foobar-tom
51 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Make sure your TV is setup to send audio out of that optical port.  The combination of the splitter and the optical connection are probably at play here.

Hi ebr!

The splitter sits between the shield tv pro and the tv. It's the signal the shield tv is sending that seems to be the problem. The funny thing is, that all the other apps (youtube, live-tv, ufc...) do work fine. It's only the emby app without any sound.

Gilgamesh_48

I made a thread some time ago about the lack of sound on my Shield and only my Shield on some videos. I also could play the files that would not play with audio using several other players, including using VLC as an external player with Emby just fine, on my Shield. 

Emby insisted on blaming my setup and/or my files instead of trying to fix the obvious problem with Emby playback on the Shield.

Other than that one issue I love Emby so I tried to find and fix the problem myself. My setup downmixes everything to stereo so I tried hooking up a USB to stereo adapter to my Shield and, voila, audio suddenly worked on every file I have.

I gave up ever seeing that bug fixed so I am running my Shield with that adapter and it works perfectly for my entire library.

I suspect you are running into the same bug but I suggest you do not expect the problem to be fixed and try to find a way to workaround the bug on your Shield.

That bug is the only time I have been disappointed in Emby's response to an issue. They insisted on blaming my hardware rather than looking at the problem itself and fixing it.

Hi,

Don't know if you are aware or not but the beta of Android TV has been trying different things for audio to find what works and what doesn't for different people.  Audio is complex do to the different ways people can have audio setup.

Gilgamesh_48
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi,

Don't know if you are aware or not but the beta of Android TV has been trying different things for audio to find what works and what doesn't for different people.  Audio is complex do to the different ways people can have audio setup.

Yes I am very aware of that and I went through a lot about the problem in the thread I mentioned. Here is the link to that thread.

foobar-tom

I had some movies that had audio... It seems that stereo and dolby up to 5.0 do work. What's not working is dolby 6.1...

I thought that I had activated the downmix to stereo... How do I make sure that audio is mixed down to 2.0 for all formats?

foobar-tom
49 minutes ago, ebr said:

Are there any audio setting in your TV itself?

Hi ebr!

It's
a) sound: shield TV pro -> hdmi splitter -> toslink to dsp (stereo) 

b) picture:  shield TV pro -> hdmi splitter -> TV

The TV is set to 'mute' and it is not involved in the 'sound chain'.

foobar-tom

17 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I made a thread some time ago about the lack of sound on my Shield and only my Shield on some videos. I also could play the files that would not play with audio using several other players, including using VLC as an external player with Emby just fine, on my Shield. 

Emby insisted on blaming my setup and/or my files instead of trying to fix the obvious problem with Emby playback on the Shield.

Other than that one issue I love Emby so I tried to find and fix the problem myself. My setup downmixes everything to stereo so I tried hooking up a USB to stereo adapter to my Shield and, voila, audio suddenly worked on every file I have.

I gave up ever seeing that bug fixed so I am running my Shield with that adapter and it works perfectly for my entire library.

I suspect you are running into the same bug but I suggest you do not expect the problem to be fixed and try to find a way to workaround the bug on your Shield.

That bug is the only time I have been disappointed in Emby's response to an issue. They insisted on blaming my hardware rather than looking at the problem itself and fixing it.

As much as I understand it you do have a usb adapter that is doing the digital to analog transformation? If this is right, than this will not work for me, as this transformation should be done by the dsp alone.

I don't know if my thinking is a little bit strange... but all I want to achieve is that every audio is mixed down to stereo with output over hdmi by the shield tv pro...

Any hints?

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, foobar-tom said:

As much as I understand it you do have a usb adapter that is doing the digital to analog transformation? If this is right, than this will not work for me, as this transformation should be done by the dsp alone.

I don't know if my thinking is a little bit strange... but all I want to achieve is that every audio is mixed down to stereo with output over hdmi by the shield tv pro...

Any hints?

I was not really suggesting that the USB adapter is a "solution" I was trying to point out that it shows that the file being played is not really flawed and gives me a workaround until when and if Emby decides to fix this particular bug.

Emby blames the "exoplayer" but every other app I have tested works. Emby says the other players use "ffmpeg" instead of "exoplayer" and I suggested that, maybe, Emby should use "ffmpeg" instead of the buggy "exoplayer" and Emby says they can't or won't for reasons I do not really understand.

Rather than providing, in this case, a player that works they have chosen to provide one with bugs while waiting for the bugs to get fixed. (That may or may not happen.) Fortunately I have a workaround for my Shield and several other players that work so I am not really hurt by their decision. but I would much rather run without the USB adapter on my Shield because that also requires other changes in my system.

I do not understand Emby's decision in this case but there is nothing I can do about it. It is their software and I only use it. It is just frustrating to me to see Emby taking the position they have this time.

10 hours ago, foobar-tom said:

Hi ebr!

It's
a) sound: shield TV pro -> hdmi splitter -> toslink to dsp (stereo) 

b) picture:  shield TV pro -> hdmi splitter -> TV

The TV is set to 'mute' and it is not involved in the 'sound chain'.

I'm not really sure how that will work.  The device gets audio capabilities from the HDMI connection but you have the HDMI cable connected to two devices at once.  Not sure what information will come back.   If you unmute the TV, do you hear the audio?

foobar-tom
5 hours ago, ebr said:

I'm not really sure how that will work.  The device gets audio capabilities from the HDMI connection but you have the HDMI cable connected to two devices at once.  Not sure what information will come back.   If you unmute the TV, do you hear the audio?

this is my setup:

1) nvidia shield tv pro -> hdmi-cable -> hdmi splitter (hdmi input)

2a) hdmi splitter (hdmi output) -> hdmi cable -> TV (hdmi input)
2b) hdmi splitter (toslink output) -> toslink cable -> dsp

The TV is just for the picture and audio is reproduced by the dsp/stereo. The answer is yes, I do hear the audio ;-)

By the way... Does anybody know a usb to toslink adapter that works with a nvidia shield tv pro 2019 (firmware 8.2.0)?

The way to go seems to be to use the usb port...

One of my setup was similar to yours.  It was splitting HDMI and Toslink for audio.
Though I'm not currently using this setup anymore I did do a few things to get it working.
Here's what I remember...

Try the following to see if it works for you.  Do it one at a time and test emby for audio.

Note:
Make sure to CLOSE all your apps (emby, youtube, etc..) before changing these settings.  Double press the circle button on your Shield remote and close all the apps.  HDMI splitter with Shield tend to keep audio signal from an app alive if you don't fully close it.  Do this everytime you try one of the settings below, or your changes may not take effect.  Even though you have changed them.

1. Press the menu button on the shield remote > Device Preferences > Display and Sound > Advance Sound settings > Audio Output
Default should be on "Auto", select "HDMI". Check and see if emby works.

2. Device Preferences > Display and Sound > Advance Sound settings > Dolby audio processing
Default should be on and in most cases should leave it like that.  But you can try turning it off to see if you get audio.

3. Device Preferences > Display and Sound > Advance Sound settings > Available formats
Default should be on "Auto", Select "Manual" and select your compatible formats. 
Toslink should only be compatible with AC3 and DTS.  Having these two settings "on" only is your best bet.
Toslink can only do 5.1 channel and below.  6.0 and higher is not compatible.
I know you are downmixing to 2.0 but you must set these settings correctly.

4. Most splitter is powered by a USB.  Disconnect the power, then your hdmi and toslink.  Reconnect your power, then hdmi, then toslink.
This will reset any audio signal that may still be lingering from a previous open app which could cause issue when trying to play audio from another app.
Check to see if emby works.

5.  In Emby app, go to settings > Playback settings> Audio Output
Set it to "Downmix to Stereo"

From what I remember I had to restart the shield a few times for changes to really take affect.  Having some settings on "Auto" did not work for me because the Shield sometimes would not detect the correct audio output signal from the splitter, therefore you have to manually set it to force the correct signal.  I went through 3 splitters, each with different settings to make everything work. I don't believe the problem is with Emby or Shield but more with having a poor splitter.

Edited by Drubei
  • Like 1