Long Delay when starting casting via ChromeCast

anzenketh

anzenketh

I am trying to cast to my Google Home Minis. I have emby behind a traefik reverse proxy. However I have these issues when casting. 

First It takes a extremely long time( about 20 seconds or so) for the cast to start. Attached are the logs from me starting casting via both the WebUI http and http. 

embyserver.txt

anzenketh

Hard to compare really as the traefik proxy is handling the TLS encryption. I would have to figure out how to setup the docker container with another Let's encrypt certificate. .

So that took a lot faster then expected. Found a site to generate me a certificate via DNS verification. 

Did not help matters.Did the following scenario. 

Scenario 1: Start playing a song. Then cast via the cast button inside of the web app(that re-directed me to the cast button in the browser). Took 8 seconds for the song to pick up and play from the ding. Same for my android device. Same for changing songs.

Scenario 2: Cast then play. This is better at 4 seconds but still not a smooth experience.

In both cases if I stop casting it will stop playing the song all together. 

It also takes 2-3 seconds for it to ring on the cast. 

I also tested with port forwarding but that did not help. 

Without SSL it can not find the Chromcast devices (that are also named badly in the app). 

Attached is logs for new configuration. 

embyserver (1).txt

Edited by anzenketh
Testing complete.

anzenketh

Tested it on my video Chromecast and there is not the delay. There is with the google home mini. What do I need to do to troubleshoot this further so that I can identify the true culprit. Other casting devices apps do not have this delay. 

I do not know enough about how Chromecast works to know what the next steps are.

Edited by anzenketh

anzenketh

I may be needing to do some additional testing. When I tested before Plex and Google Music worked fine. Testing again there may be something up with Plex but not Google Music. 

Right well, what we have in common with them is that we're serving up music from your home server. Google music isn't doing that so it's not quite a 1:1 comparison.

anzenketh

Agreed it is not a 1 to 1 compression but Plex is. I am trying to move away from Plex as my wife likes the interface for Emby more and Emby works with Google Assistant. 

I just reset my Google Home Mini. As I had no issue with Plex before.

Tested with Plex next to no delay (1-3 seconds). Tested with Emby Media still same issue close to 8 seconds. 

What actions need to be taken to look into this issue more. 

Note there is no delay when I am using the phone's casting option only when I am using the app's casting option. 

Edited by anzenketh