Is there a best practices wiki or thread for best settings for Emby on shield?

hifiaudio2

hifiaudio2

EMBY is my main use for the shield so I'd like to set all shield settings as perfect for emby as possible. Color space settings, resolution settings, etc.

Defaults are usually the best option.  Most of the rest of it will come down to personal equipment, setup and preference.

hifiaudio2

I might should reframe my question. I'm wondering about the settings on the shield that are best for Emby. Not settings within the app. Like choosing 59 or 23 Hertz refresh, allowing it to do auto color space / rec 2020 versus rec 709, ETC.

vdatanet

This is a question for advanced users with very fine eyesight, playing 1080i content on the Shield 2019 Pro, which is better:

1. Deinterlace on the server to be able to apply AI upcaling
  2. Deinterlace on the client, but then the content is not compatible with AI upcaling

I do not see differences, but perhaps an expert can say something about this.

I've not tried this as I do my conversions "off line" to progressive from interlaced.

But if you can't tell the difference I'd just have the client handle it so the server doesn't have to do any transcoding.

rbjtech

A setting frequently missed (as peoples screen shots of issues shows in 'Stats for Nerds'..) is the frame rate matching option - which is off by default.

If your TV refresh can match the source (which on any modern TV in the last 10 years should be able to do) then this should be switched on - resulting in much smoother 'panning' and less 'juddering' in films.  Modern TV's do a much better job then they used to with 'pulldown' (trying to match the video frame rate to the TV) but it is still much better to just refresh at the Native refresh rate if you have the option. 

The downside is you might see the screen 'blank' for a fraction of a second when switching back to the Emby menu's.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

rbjtech
13 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

And what about resolution match option?

I'm not 100% on what this actually does haha.  I *think* Emby will try and use the TV supported resolutions to avoid the TV having to scale.    

Perhaps @ebr could advise further on this one ?

Edited by rbjtech

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I'm not 100% on what this actually does haha.  I *think* Emby will try and use the TV supported resolutions to avoid the TV having to scale.    

Perhaps @ebr could advise further on this one ?

If selected, it will switch to a mode with a resolution that matches the content.  If not, it will leave the resolution the same and look for a mode with just the proper frame rate.  Yes, this is for those that want their TV to do scaling instead of the Android device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1