Shield Experience 8.2.0

CBers

vdatanet
On 8/29/2020 at 8:01 AM, vdatanet said:

High bitrate content playback issues (Shield Tube) are not on the list of known issues:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/395152/knwon-issues-shield-experience-upgrade-82/

Either they don't know or they don't want to know.

This only applies to the Shield 2019 Tube:

I have done an experiment. On my Plex server (a long time without using it!) I have a high bitrate 4K movie library (Blu-ray UHD rips).  Plex application plays these movies smoothly, while Emby application does not play them smoothly and when you stop the playback, the application is frozen with a black screen for a short time. Perhaps Plex has found a workaround for the memory leak?

Ignore this, it takes a bit longer but you get the same result

Edited by vdatanet

On 8/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, Mkilbride said:

Nah. My issue is with all PGS and SSA / ASS Subtitles. They need to be burned in or they disappear when more than one speaking characters subtitles are displayed, which is not the case in Plex, but I'm just repeating what I said months ago. I've been waiting, but sadly, no fix yet.

Hi,

Can you go over an example of this?

29 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi,

Can you go over an example of this?

He has some in other threads.  It is an issue where multiple subtitles are shown on the screen simultaneously.  Something I think only seen in Anime.

Just now, ebr said:

He has some in other threads.  It is an issue where multiple subtitles are shown on the screen simultaneously.  Something I think only seen in Anime.

OK got ya.

CBers
On 29/08/2020 at 18:34, CBers said:

Any further thoughts please @ebr?

Are you able to force pass through the audio to the receiver with additional options in the app? 

I know it might confuse some people and may cause more support issues, but this is a real PITA. 

FYI, Plex has the same issues on the same Shield/Sonos combination, so definitely a firmware issue. 

Thanks. 

@ebr ?

6 hours ago, CBers said:

@ebr ?

Hopefully, Nvidia will fix the issue.  I do not wish to add special force options to create more problems :).

• Like 1

CBers
54 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hopefully, Nvidia will fix the issue.  I do not wish to add special force options to create more problems :).

Any chance of a special one-off build ?

10 minutes ago, CBers said:

Any chance of a special one-off build ?

It would first require research as to how we would do it because this all happens from inside the video player. So there is a cost to it, not something we can just quickly throw in.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, Mkilbride said:

Nah. My issue is with all PGS and SSA / ASS Subtitles. They need to be burned in or they disappear when more than one speaking characters subtitles are displayed, which is not the case in Plex, but I'm just repeating what I said months ago. I've been waiting, but sadly, no fix yet.

Take a look at this:

Ultimately the TV app will get the same improvements that the mobile app is getting.

CBers
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It would first require research as to how we would do it because this all happens from inside the video player. So there is a cost to it, not something we can just quickly throw in.

This has been requested multiple times over the years. 

AstroGeek

As someone earlier reported, I'm seeing pausing/stuttering when playing 4k content now on a 2015 nVidia Shield after the 8.2.0 update. Follow this thread for a bit before I reset.

If any logs are desired for this, please let me know and I can provide some.

Hi,

Is the 4K movie direct playing on the Shield?  What type of audio track was playing.

I've got  2015 Shield with 8.02 and have watched a few 4K movies with no problem but maybe there is a difference in audio.  So I'll test with your audio track type of possible.

Carlo

17 hours ago, AstroGeek said:

As someone earlier reported, I'm seeing pausing/stuttering when playing 4k content now on a 2015 nVidia Shield after the 8.2.0 update. Follow this thread for a bit before I reset.

If any logs are desired for this, please let me know and I can provide some.

This is starting to sound a lot like Nvidia re-introduced an old bug they fixed a while back with high-bitrate content...

• Like 1