Emby Server running but 3 Embycon clients stopped working

JoeDreck

JoeDreck

Dear community and @TeamB,

Thank you for your great solutions for my home media center and your loads of helpful guides.

I used to be a happy user of an Emby-Server and Embycon Kodi-addon for a couple of months. Then, suddenly, Embycon stopped working on my three devices within two days. Whenever I want to play or resume an episode or a movie, either nothing happens, or I get an error message like "item couldn't be played"... 

However, when I use Emby via browser, these episodes can be played or resumed, and when I mark them as "watched", the next episode is listed as "Next Up" on all three devices. So the server seems to be working... and Embycon can read the library information... but it cannot play any item. But the items are definitely there; right now I browse there via Kodi and play them. I am using Emby 4.2.1.0, LibreElec 9.0.2, Kodi 18.2, Embycon 1.9.106 on my two Raspberry PI 3s and
Kodi 18.5 on my Android 9 mobile phone.

I created one log file, or two, and another one, which has Embycon logging enabled (I hope). The Kodinerds suggested to contact you, since they have troubles interpreting my LOGs. I am happy for any help.

Best,

Joe

TeamB

Here is the problem:

EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.KeyError'>
Error Contents: 'DirectStreamUrl'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.embycon/resources/lib/play_utils.py", line 1230, in onNotification
	play_file(play_info, self.monitor)
  File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.embycon/resources/lib/tracking.py", line 22, in wrapper
	value = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.embycon/resources/lib/play_utils.py", line 393, in play_file
	playurl, playback_type, listitem_props = PlayUtils().get_play_url(selected_media_source)
  File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.embycon/resources/lib/utils.py", line 99, in get_play_url
	direct_stream_path = media_source["DirectStreamUrl"]
KeyError: 'DirectStreamUrl'
-->End of Python script error report<--

For some reason there is no DirectStreamUrl in the PlaybackInfo.

@Luke would this be an Emby server version issue, it looks like the Emby server version is 4.2.1.0 is that to old for the PlaybackInfo changes?

Edited by TeamB

Yes that was added in 4.3. so what I would do if either make 4.3 your min required server version for the add-on, which you can enforce when pulling down system info public. 

Or you can update your code to handle it being null and construct it the old way.

• Thanks 1

JoeDreck

Wow, thank you for your quick replies!

@Luke I will try to figure out how to create and post an emby server log.

@TeamB : I don't know how to update the emby server. I have a Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra, which is not listed in https://emby.media/nas-server.html. Can you provide me with a download link?

My Emby server / Embycon combination used to work fine for months. Does anyone have an explanation, why it suddenly stopped working on all my devices within a couple of days? As far as I remember, I have auto update of Kodi AddOns disabled on all my devices (I am not entirely sure though).

Edited by JoeDreck

JoeDreck

@Luke hmmm... I did enable debug logging via emby server web interface. Then I opened kodi on my mobile phone and tried to play an item from the "Continue watching" list. Then, in the emby server web interface I ran "Rotate log file", which created the log files embyserver.txt and embyserver-63734032114.txt that I attached. Is that helpful, or do I need to do something else?

I also attached my previous log file (embyserver-63734031973.txt), which did not have debug logging enabled.

Thank you so much for your super quick support!

Edited by JoeDreck

TeamB

@JoeDreck I dont need a server log, I could determine the issue from the logs you provided.

The reason that EmbyCon stopped working for you is the latest version (1.9.106)  has a requirement of a recent version of the Emby Server. You need at least Emby Server 4.3. Where did you get the version you are using now?

@Luke Is there a 4.4 version for his platform?

JoeDreck

aha, so I probably didn't turn auto updates for Kodi AddOn off, and the new version is causing the conflict. @TeamB I think I followed the link from this post and downloaded my emby server here:

https://bintray.com/tfl/wdpksrc/Emby

The website does not offer a newer version, so my solution will be to uninstall embycon on all devices and re-install an older version, right? To what version should I downgrade to stay compatible with my Emby 4.2.1.0 server?

Edited by JoeDreck

Riggs

Consider that your Librelec version is almost one year old. 9.2.5 is the latest and was launched 2 days ago.

Why you are using that Emby version from bintray?

JoeDreck

Because I didn't find another release for my Western Digital MyCloud EX2 Ultra. https://emby.media/download.html only lists emby servers for MyCloud DL and PR series.

The old LibreElec shouldn't cause these issues, since I have the same issue with my Kodi/Embycon on android.

JoeDreck

@LukeYes, this is where I got my current emby server from. Unfortunately, the latest version provided there is 4.2.1.0-10. 

@TeamB: Argh, I just realized I cannot simply uninstall the latest version and get the previous version, because the emby repository does not provide a version history, right? Could you be so kind and host the previous version somewhere, so I can install from zip.

As I cannot update emby server, going back to the previous embycon version and deactivating auto-update seems the most convenient solution for me. I am so sorry, TeamB, I don't want to seem ungrateful or disrespectful, I really appreciate embycon and I thank you a lot for all the hard work you put into this. I am just too incompetent to update my emby server, and my only wish is to get back to the good old days where everything worked just fine.

JoeDreck

Thank you so much, @TeamB! It worked. This Odyssey has ended. My life is back to normal. My lesson: Never change a smoothly running system if you don't even know how you got it running in the first place, i.e., auto-updates -> OFF!

Problem solved, thank you so much for your time and support, all three of you!