So call me a troll :)

mark-in-dallas

mark-in-dallas

So I was browsing bestbuy.com today and noticed that they are selling subscriptions to Plex, and of course I just couldn't resist writing a review.  I don't know whether Best Buy will end up publishing the review or not because it wasn't very flattering to Plex, but someone's got to let folks know what their about to buy, right?

526097956_BestBuyReview.thumb.png.fdd10cef69eee5d0c350b47b13f41b3f.png

Okay, I see that's kind of hard to see, so here's the actual review:

1567877341_textblock.png.3dcbff540279d34c1edb375cffdf0cc6.png

Edited by mark-in-dallas

They aren't biased. Your review is up on Best Buy. :)

image.png

Thanks for the complete honesty.  Because quite honestly your review is the best one. ;)

I gave your review a +1 on Helpful.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

clarkss12

I check out Plex occasionally, just to see what their objective/audience is moving to.  It appears, that they are moving away from supporting your own media, and embracing streaming media.

I personally don't know anyone that has their own media, everything is streaming.  When I die, all my media collection will end up in the trash bin.

I am afraid we are a dying breed.  The only salvation that I see, a DVR from TV sources.  ATSC 3 should give owing your own media a boost, but that is going to take years, unfortunately.

Gilgamesh_48
11 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

I check out Plex occasionally, just to see what their objective/audience is moving to.  It appears, that they are moving away from supporting your own media, and embracing streaming media.

I personally don't know anyone that has their own media, everything is streaming.  When I die, all my media collection will end up in the trash bin.

I am afraid we are a dying breed.  The only salvation that I see, a DVR from TV sources.  ATSC 3 should give owing your own media a boost, but that is going to take years, unfortunately.

Just today I was thinking what life would have been like back in the '50s and60s when I was growing up if we had had access to something like Emby or Plex and a library of available titles to go with it and I pretty much decided that Plex would somehow ruin the best part of those years while Emby would enhance it.

Of course the libraries would be tiny and much of the only real difference would be that you would gain the ability to watch Ed Sullivan and I Love Lucy over and over.

I still remember going over to the neighbors, who had the first color TV (Round tube) in our area, to watch the very first TV shows ever broadcast in color. (The Beverly Hillbillies) Just think with Emby or Plex I could have recorded that show and watched it over and over and really tried to convince myself the colors produced by that set looked "real." If I ever had met someone on the street that had that coloration I would probably run as fast as I could in the other direction all the time hoping that I would not catch whatever they had.