Windows to NVidia Shield Migration Issues

CaptJ

You can't have multiple libraries pointing to the same folders or files.  You can have multiple mount points for each library.

Not even on PC setup?

Could I use windows shortcut as one?

What would happen if I did have multiple libraries pointing to same folder?

What would happen if I did have multiple libraries pointing to same folder?

Since we don't fully support this yet that means we aren't spending any time testing it. So what will happen, we don't know all of the possible quirks that may occur. We know at the very least, some of them might appear blank with no content.

Thanks Luke.

I tried to test it earlier on PC. I was able to pull in movies from both libraries into the combined library and there were no duplicates.  It also appeared not to rescan the source directories. 

Is this something coming in 4.5?

Hey @CaptJ if you mean having multiple Movie folders on one or more discs all used in one combined "Movie" Library that is fully supported and the norm.

I would like to have individual movie librarys for each drive (DRIVE1,2) as well as an All Movies Library.

Just to confirm there is no way to add custom metadata fields/ notes to items?

Otherwise I would have created a field called "Source" then I could have just one movies library and whenever I wanted to see all DRIVE1 contents I would use Search functionality to search "DRIVE1".

That is exactly the type of setup not recommended and usually comes with problems as you have "duplicates" of files across your system.

What are you trying to achieve by keeping movies on drive 1 different than movies on drive 2?

Happy2Play

Depending on the view you want, you create one library and add two folders DRIVE1\MOVIES, DRIVE2\MOVIES (I would modify name Movies though).  If library is content type Movies you can click the Folders tab to enter 1 or 2, but Movies will merge both folders together.

Mixed Content type library will not give you all the header options and give you a folder view.  So it will present two folders 1 and 2.

Edited by Happy2Play

51 minutes ago, CaptJ said:

Thanks Luke.

I tried to test it earlier on PC. I was able to pull in movies from both libraries into the combined library and there were no duplicates.  It also appeared not to rescan the source directories. 

Is this something coming in 4.5?

It's something we'd like to support, but no, not yet in 4.5.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

That is exactly the type of setup not recommended and usually comes with problems as you have "duplicates" of files across your system.

What are you trying to achieve by keeping movies on drive 1 different than movies on drive 2?

So I can see at a glance all the content of a particular drive. They are external drives so aren't permanently connected.

I need to be able to know the physical location of every movie, tv show. Without having to drill down into every movie or tv show separately to check its path.

I have had to use multiple libraries as a work-around. As you can't do a search on drive name or on the path.  I would have preferred to use 1 library for movies but you can't search or filter based on file location.

I assuming there is no advanced search or filter that would do this?

Just came across Tags these could work to hold the drive name/ location but they dont appear to be searchable or filterable?

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, CaptJ said:

Just came across Tags these could work to hold the drive name/ location but they dont appear to be searchable or filterable?

Why do you feel they are not searchable or filterable?

I can search and filter a library by tags (not all content types have the same filters though).

1 hour ago, CaptJ said:

So I can see at a glance all the content of a particular drive. They are external drives so aren't permanently connected.

You're going to find this isn't an ideal situation.  For a media server you want your content always available.

31 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Why do you feel they are not searchable or filterable?

I can search and filter a library by tags (not all content types have the same filters though).

To try I added a Tag to a recording called "Test" did a search for this in the search bar no results. Also tried filter recording using the Tag fields - no option listed.

Where did you do search and filter?

Thanks

23 minutes ago, cayars said:

You're going to find this isn't an ideal situation.  For a media server you want your content always available.

Dont have the option to add any more drives. 

Understood but many of us use USB drives but we don't disconnect them from the system so we treat them like any other drive.

Happy2Play
24 minutes ago, CaptJ said:

To try I added a Tag to a recording called "Test" did a search for this in the search bar no results. Also tried filter recording using the Tag fields - no option listed.

Where did you do search and filter?

Thanks

Looks like filters may be specific to Movies and I just searched one of those tags from the home screen.

tag.jpg.fec9f17a64974d18335b344570bfc0ec.jpg

search.thumb.jpg.049cd9f6942bfaf82196752bd3b999e5.jpg