Windows to NVidia Shield Migration Issues

CaptJ

I have been running Emby Server 4.3 using a HP computer running Windows for several months. 

I plan on using the NVidia Shield as a server and migrating the libraries/ collections/ favourites/ users data etc across.

I still would like to keep the library content itself on the HP computer and have NVidia Shield libraries point to the HP machine.

I was able to successfully install the server on the NVidia Shield and copy my library.

1.  I have an issue with setting up the new folder paths

I have tried to follow the "Optional Network Path" guide on your site but still can't get the server to find the folders.

My content is stored locally on the HP computer.

Existing Setup:

Machine Name: HP

Drive Name: DRIVE1  (Located On F:)

Library Structured As follows:

DRIVE1\MOVIES\...

DRIVE1\TV\...

Existing Movies Library:

F:\DRIVE1\MOVIES

Existing TV Library:

F:\DRIVE1\TV

New Setup:

I created a shared folder for MOVIES to test.

\\HP\DRIVE1\MOVIES

(Network path)

Emby Library Settings:

I tried several things including the following:

Folder: Network

(Optional) Shared network folder:

\\HP\DRIVE1\MOVIES

I also tried:

Folder: F:\DRIVE1

(Optional) Shared network folder:

\\HP\DRIVE1\MOVIES

Each time I get the error cannot find path.

Can you please advise the correct paths I need to setup.

Thanks

2. Is there a way I can permanently disable automatic scans of library.  Ideally set into manual scans only.  Until I can successfully redirect the existing library paths. As they are cause my existing data to be cleared.

3. At the moment the I have only been able to migrate to the Shields Internal storage which is very limited in size.

I have attached an usb stick. And tried to redirect cache, metadata and transcode paths to locations on the stick.

A) Do these locations have to located in the auto created folder "NVIDIA_SHIELD".  As android is very restrictive as to what folders can be written to.

For Example

NVIDIA_SHIELD\EMBY\cache

NVIDIA_SHIELD\EMBY\metadata

NVIDIA_SHIELD\EMBY\transcode

b: I was able to copy the folders and adjust the paths inside Emby in order to point to the usb folders.  In order to complete the process do I simply just delete the folders from internal storage?  I assume Emby doesn't have a library migration functionality like Plex?

C)  Log files location can't be set so do these automatically delete after a set time or do I need to do this manually.

Thanks for your assistance

Edited by CaptJ

Hi,

Once you setup the shares on the HP, the next step is to exit Emby on the shield and go into settings into STORAGE and Mount each and every share.

Once you've mounted these on the Shield TV those network places will be available for use in Emby.

Thanks for your reply.

Tried "Manually Add Network Storage"
\\HP\DRIVE1\MOVIES
WORKGROUP
Still failed.  

2.  Would shortcuts work? Folder Shortcut from HP onto Android?

3. Would I have to have multiple mounts for each library (TV,MOVIES). Or could I have one at the top level (DRIVE1)?

Does android have limit to the number of mounts?

Try setting the shares up with a user/password and mounting them this way.

I try and use one mount per HDD when I can.

So 1 mount to "DRIVE1" - I'll be able to access sub folders (TV,Movies)?

Does android have limit to the number of mounts?

WORKGROUP ok for domain? (dont have own domain)

Personally I wouldn't as I'd want to save all graphics onside the movies to not use the internal drive up storing metadata.

Dont understand.  Thought Emby just scanned the folder and put the metadata/ images in the path I specified "NVIDIA_SHIELD\EMBY\metadata"

In reality inside the /cache folder are images the server uses to send to applications. These are resized and made to be bandwidth efficient without losing too much quality. Your original artwork is only really used to create these cache images on the server. Once the cache images are created for a client at the size requested those are used.

When Emby saves images it keeps the original and the cache of that original image in sizes requested for each client on the server using GUID which are unique to each Emby server install.

Emby storing images with media is to make rebuilding/relocating drives pain free and multiple Emby servers able to use the same original images without needing to download them again.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

My original Emby 4.3 install was the standalone installer. Which I had running on an external drive not the default C Drive.  So no metadata was saved locally to the machine, just to a folder on the external drive "programdata". Nor was any metadata saved to the file source drive.

3 hours ago, CaptJ said:

Is there a way I can permanently disable automatic scans of library.  Ideally set into manual scans only.  Until I can successfully redirect the existing library paths. As they are cause my existing data to be cleared.

Just create a new account that you will type both the username and password since you need to do that in two different place (windows & shield).

It's not going to matter because you're changing where Emby knows you media is.  So it will all get removed and rebuilt.

Thanks will try new account.

Is there a way I can permanently disable automatic scans of library.  Ideally set into manual scans only.  Until I can successfully redirect the existing library paths. 

Created a test library & share

Path:

/storage/HP/Movies

It pulls in the files but this will cause issue with additional content drives  as the path ignores the drive name i.e   /storage/HP/DRIVE1/HP/Movies

So how I get DRIVE2 (which is structured the same) mapped?

Is it possible to specify the drive name or DRIVE2 in the path?

Thanks

CBers
2 hours ago, CaptJ said:

Is there a way I can permanently disable automatic scans of library.  Ideally set into manual scans only.  Until I can successfully redirect the existing library paths. 

Remove the Scheduled Task for Scan Media Library. 

Edited by CBers

2 hours ago, CaptJ said:

Created a test library & share

Path:

/storage/HP/Movies

It pulls in the files but this will cause issue with additional content drives  as the path ignores the drive name i.e   /storage/HP/DRIVE1/HP/Movies

So how I get DRIVE2 (which is structured the same) mapped?

Is it possible to specify the drive name or DRIVE2 in the path?

Thanks

You need to rethink your layout or do multiple mounts.  Any reason you can't mount /storage/HP

and then in Emby use that mount point and drill down to each section?

HP is the machines name

"/storage/HP" is the default prefix added automatically by Emby. It appears in front of every mount in the Emby Folder menu drop down. (Which is uneditable)

It was not entered by me when I setup the mounts. When I setup the mounts I entered just the direct path.

\\server\Share:

\\HP\Movies etc

I would like to replicate existing setup.

Existing Folder Setup:

DRIVE1:                                         

DRIVE1\Movies\              

DRIVE1\TV\

DRIVE2:

DRIVE2\Movies\

DRIVE2\TV\

I use the "DRIVE" top level folder name to differentiate the two so I can have separate libraries for each drive.  And so that when I run a scan on drive 2 it doesn't clear drive 1's library.

In Emby:

Library 1:

F:\DRIVE1\Movies\

Library 2:

F:\DRIVE1\TV\

Library 3:

F:\DRIVE2\Movies\

Library 4:

F:\DRIVE2\TV\

Shield Setup:

I plan to have multiple mounts one for each DRIVE but because it does not add "DRIVE1" top level folder to Emby's setup path when I setup DRIVE2 it will have the same path as the first drive.

At moment I get:

Path:

/storage/HP/Movies

Not:

Path:

/storage/HP/DRIVE1/Movies

Is there another way I can edit the path to include top level directory?

Thanks for your assistance

Do it the simple way.  Rename one of the Movies to Movie2 and share/remount it if needed.

In my existing setup.

I wanted an All Movies library in my existing library which would pull the contents from DRIVE1 Movie Library & DRIVE2 Movie Library.

Does Emby support the combining of libraries?

I would have created an All Movies library using multiple folders (1 mapped to Drive1 movies, and other mapped to DRIVE2 Movies) but I assumed this would create duplicates?

Does multiple libraries mapped to same folder cause duplication?

Thanks

Edited by CaptJ
Missed word