Emby + Locast = Awesome

Logan

UPDATE:   Locast2plex is still in beta and the developers are constantly making updates and improvements.  To see the latest information refer to their GitHub page.

They have recently updated to 0.5x beta which has changed the set-up instructions  (basically they have now require the creation of an config.ini file in the set-up directory).  It's pretty straight forward and they include the text within the readme.

https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex/blob/master/README.md

I recommend using the "Command Line" set-up first so you can verify that it is operational, then if you want to automate the process create a Windows Service with NSMM.

They are also working on updating the code to work with the most current release of Python 3.8, until they are complete you will need to use Python 2.7

-Logan

I saw the Locast Integration post in the Feature Request forum and decided to give it a try. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68679-locast-supportintegration/

I Love it!  This really solves my issues with poor Local TV reception. I live on the edge a large metro area and have spotty reception that causes my Hauppauge Quad TV tuner to freeze on occasion…this really hurts the overall experience.

Using Locast2Plex has solved all of my issues and brought the Emby experience almost back to the glory days of Windows Media Center 😉

For those not familiar with Locast2Plex here is what it does for me:

·         All OTA Local Broadcast Stations are now streamed (for me 35 Channels)

·         HD quality streams (1280 x720p for my streams, but varies by your Locast feed)

·         Up to 4 Concurrent streams

·         Record LiveTV

·         Pause LiveTV

How to set-up Locast2Plex: 

Use this post as a guide - https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex/issues/33

Subscribe to Locast (Donation of at least $5 monthly) https://www.locast.org/

Get the lasted Python 2.7x build https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2718/

• Install it the Directory of your choice, but make it easy,  you may have to navigate to that directory by Command Prompt.  (I suggest close to the Root)

Get the latest Locast2Plex build https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex

• Unzip it in Directory of your choice

Get the latest version of FFmpeg https://ffmpeg.org/download.html

• Move the ffmpeg.exe file to the locast2plex directory you created

Get the prerelease build 2.2.4-101 of NSSM https://nssm.cc/download

• Install in Directory of your choice, but make it easy...

Run NSSM using the steps outlined in the post linked above.

• If everything goes as planned you should get a "Installed Service Successfully" prompt
  • If not you will need to use the Command prompt to setup Locast2Plex - refer to the Readme file at GitHub for Locast2plex...some debugging may be required
  • Start the Locast2plex service using the "Run" - services.msc command

Add Locast2plex as a tuner in Emby

• Select HDHomeRun as TV Source type
  • Input the Tuner IP Address you used during set-up (don't forget the port#)
  • Add TV Guide data for OTA TV for your Locast area
  • Map Channels (If required)

Enjoy!

HatTip: SMILLS & all4dom

Edited by Logan
  • Like 2

BillOatman

Looks like a great open source project and has lots of information that can be used for other things, thanks for sharing !

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information.  I am trying to follow your directions but I'm running into a problem when I try to start the locast2plex service.  I got the service installed successfully, but I keep getting a Services error message "Windows could not start the locast2plex service on Local Computer.  The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

I believe the problem might be with what I entered in the NSSM service installer GUI popup.

I have the Application Path pointing to C:\python28\python.exe, and the Startup directory is automatically set to C:\python28

I copied the Arguments string of C:\code\locast2plex\main.py -u:usernamexxx -p:passwordxxx --debug --addy:127.0.0.1 --port:6077

I assume that I needed to change the path of locast2plex to where I installed that folder (in my case it was c:\Locast2plex-0.4.2\main.py) and the usernamexxx and passwordxxx to my locast subscription account information (i.e. -u:<myusername> -p:<mypassword>).

Could someone explain how the Arguments should be used?  Does the IP address need to be modified?

Also, are the above mentioned versions of NSSM, Locast2plex, or Python required or can newer versions be used (i.e. Python28 vs Python27)?

Any feedback to help me troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Edited by bjwest

On 9/2/2020 at 12:30 AM, bjwest said:

Thank you for the information.  I am trying to follow your directions but I'm running into a problem when I try to start the locast2plex service.  I got the service installed successfully, but I keep getting a Services error message "Windows could not start the locast2plex service on Local Computer.  The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

I believe the problem might be with what I entered in the NSSM service installer GUI popup.

I have the Application Path pointing to C:\python28\python.exe, and the Startup directory is automatically set to C:\python28

I copied the Arguments string of C:\code\locast2plex\main.py -u:usernamexxx -p:passwordxxx --debug --addy:127.0.0.1 --port:6077

I assume that I needed to change the path of locast2plex to where I installed that folder (in my case it was c:\Locast2plex-0.4.2\main.py) and the usernamexxx and passwordxxx to my locast subscription account information (i.e. -u:<myusername> -p:<mypassword>).

Could someone explain how the Arguments should be used?  Does the IP address need to be modified?

Also, are the above mentioned versions of NSSM, Locast2plex, or Python required or can newer versions be used (i.e. Python28 vs Python27)?

Any feedback to help me troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Does the IP address need to be modified?  - No.  What you used should work.

- I assume you used Python 3.8 (the latest version).  I tried that first as well, and it didn't work.  I then switched to 2.7 and everything worked fine.  So I would give 2.7 a try. You may have to uninstall the service and reinstall it with the new version of Python. I actually found it easier to test everything using the command prompt method until it was working then I set-up the service. 

Your other assumptions for the Arguments are correct.

I've been running Locast through Emby for the past few weeks and it has been almost flawless. (I had a lock-up once, but just restarted Emby server and everything has been great since.)

-Logan

Edited by Logan

BillOatman

Not sure how much locast2plex allows you to do or how much anyone wants to modify the python code, but I implemented locast support into a player app I wrote with information gained from the locast2plex project so time to give back :)  I found that once you get a locast account, you can set the DMA and lat/long to any market that locast supports and you can view the channels in that market without using a VPN.  Works very well! The streams I have looked at so far are of average quality at best in terms of resolution and FPS, but they have been reliable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, bjwest said:

I am having the exact same issue you had. I have tried different solutions for the last two hours.

I have tried Python27 and Python28 as mentioned above.

Did you have any luck on finding the culprit?

Edited by Koyta

Koyta -  I've updated the original post.  If you are using the latest version of Locast2Plex then the set-up instructions have changed.  

Here is the new link: https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex/blob/master/README.md

Once you create the config.ini file then the command prompt line will change to "python main.py"  

This should make things a bit easier. 

mark-in-dallas

Yep, runs perfect  Here's a link to a thread about installing it in Linux:  

Sorry, that one was about installing ComSkip in Linux.  Here's the one on Locast

Edited by mark-in-dallas

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 7:16 AM, Logan said:

Koyta -  I've updated the original post.  If you are using the latest version of Locast2Plex then the set-up instructions have changed.  

Here is the new link: https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex/blob/master/README.md

Once you create the config.ini file then the command prompt line will change to "python main.py"  

This should make things a bit easier. 

I am having the same problem, and I tried the config.ini but don't know how to go about 

Run the following command in the release folder:

python3 main.py

Can't figure it out

Josh-Emby  - What version of Python are you using?

Locast2Plex has not been updated  to use Python 3.X  yet.  You will need to use Python 2.7.18 until they update to 3 (or wait for Python 3, they are working on it but don't have an ETA)

Let me know if that helps.

-Logan

3 minutes ago, Logan said:

Josh-Emby  - What version of Python are you using?

Locast2Plex has not been updated  to use Python 3.X  yet.  You will need to use Python 2.7.18 until they update to 3 (or wait for Python 3, they are working on it but don't have an ETA)

Let me know if that helps.

-Logan

Hi, thanks for responding. Using Python27. I did all the same as user Koyta here asking this, installed the service successfully but receiving the windows error. From the info above, I get stuck on "run command in the release folder", I don't know how to do this. I'm guessing its something simple and obvious that I'm failing to see or do. Thanks

15 hours ago, Josh-Emby said:

Hi, thanks for responding. Using Python27. I did all the same as user Koyta here asking this, installed the service successfully but receiving the windows error. From the info above, I get stuck on "run command in the release folder", I don't know how to do this. I'm guessing its something simple and obvious that I'm failing to see or do. Thanks

So I found how to run the command in the folder, but still doesn't work. It would be great if someone did a step-by-step you tube video, I'm sure it would greatly help a lot of us who aren't developers or programmers. I've done all of the steps, so it must be a simple things that I missed somewhere along the way.

As an update, it seems like I made progress as I was able to set this up with Docker Compose (Docker Command didn't work for me, only compose). I was able to add it to Plex and generated the guide in Plex, but channels do not play in Plex. In Emby, I was able to add it as TV Source, but no channels come-up, even after setting up the TV guide, with both Emby's channel guide and also tried XmlTV... If anyone has any idea, I welcome any suggestions.

Just now, Josh-Emby said:

As an update, it seems like I made progress as I was able to set this up with Docker Compose (Docker Command didn't work for me, only compose). I was able to add it to Plex and generated the guide in Plex, but channels do not play in Plex. In Emby, I was able to add it as TV Source, but no channels come-up, even after setting up the TV guide, with both Emby's channel guide and also tried XmlTV... If anyone has any idea, I welcome any suggestions.

We're happy to help. Please see how to report a media playback issue. Thanks.

I figured it out... here is what I did in case someone else has the same problem: I had in the config.ini file my ip and port (ie: 127.0.0.1:6077), but it just needed the ip, no port (ie: 127.0.0.1), all works now in both Plex and Emby.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
randytsuch

Locast changed something that broke locast2plex, but they already pushed out a new version of locast2plex to fix it

https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex/issues/128

To install this, I had to use python 3.8.6.  Need python 3 now, they said it won't work with python 2.

Installed python 3.8.6 in a easy to find path not the default one, and for all users.

Download locast2plex zip file from github and unzip to a new directory.  Need to download zip file from here

https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex

click green code button, then download zip and unzip.

run "nssm edit locast2plex" where locast2plex is my service name, and running in administrator command.com window.  change directory to  where nssm is installed. 

In nssm config screen, changed path and startup directory to point to new version's directory of locast2plex

run "nssm start locast2plex", but then it didn't start until I coped the config.ini from the original locast2plex directory to the new version one.

I restarted PC to make sure everything was reset.

In Emby, deleted tuner from emby server, Live TV sources.  Then add again as HD homerun at ip address 192.168.xxx.xxx:6077 
where the xxx's are the server ip's address.

It found the new tuner, added it, and now locast works again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

Locast changed something that broke locast2plex, but they already pushed out a new version of locast2plex to fix it

https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex/issues/128

To install this, I had to use python 3.8.6.  Need python 3 now, they said it won't work with python 2.

Installed python 3.8.6 in a easy to find path not the default one, and for all users.

Download locast2plex zip file from github and unzip to a new directory.  Need to download zip file from here

https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex

click green code button, then download zip and unzip.

run "nssm edit locast2plex" where locast2plex is my service name, and running in administrator command.com window.  change directory to  where nssm is installed. 

In nssm config screen, changed path and startup directory to point to new version's directory of locast2plex

run "nssm start locast2plex", but then it didn't start until I coped the config.ini from the original locast2plex directory to the new version one.

I restarted PC to make sure everything was reset.

In Emby, deleted tuner from emby server, Live TV sources.  Then add again as HD homerun at ip address 192.168.xxx.xxx:6077 
where the xxx's are the server ip's address.

It found the new tuner, added it, and now locast works again.

Thank you! I noticed this morning that it wasn’t working anymore but didn’t have time to check what the problem was, I guess this was it. I am out of town and I will confirm if this worked for me when I get a chance to review next week. Much appreciate this update!!

• 2 weeks later...
ElroyPaisley

Thanks for making this. I've got locast2plex up and running on a Ubuntu VPS.  It's great but I have 2 quesions:

• Can I choose to leave out some channels?  There's a lot of home shopping and garbage and I'd like to pare down to just the basics.
  • If I log into Locast on their website, I get everything but when bring locast2plex into Jellyfin NBC (4.1) is not there.  Any idea how to diagnose that?

Thanks!

EQP

mark-in-dallas

I've been running the Locast integration too, and have it setup to only show the channels that I want to see in the Guide, and was very willing to offer advice on how to do it, until I saw that you're using Jellifin, and then it was a done deal that I would not. 

You should probably stroll over to the Jellifin forum to find help with anything having to do with their outdated and obsolete hacked version of Emby.

Edited by mark-in-dallas

I'll help you regardless of using JF or Emby as I think once you start to use the 2 side by side you'll want to use Emby more. Especially after our next release that contains our new Live TV integration as it will leave JF in the dust.

Right now if you want to leave out channels you would need to assign a tag to them and assign parental prevs to each user and filter out the tags for those channels.
In the version that is coming this is much simpler and will make you want to use Emby :)