Emby + Locast = Awesome

Logan

reneboulard
10 hours ago, ElroyPaisley said:

Thanks for making this. I've got locast2plex up and running on a Ubuntu VPS.  It's great but I have 2 quesions:

• Can I choose to leave out some channels?  There's a lot of home shopping and garbage and I'd like to pare down to just the basics.
  • If I log into Locast on their website, I get everything but when bring locast2plex into Jellyfin NBC (4.1) is not there.  Any idea how to diagnose that?

Thanks!

EQP

I used a different approach to make my own list of channel in locast:

First get the xml list of the channel from locast using the hdhomerun attp api :  ie http://<device ip>:6077/lineup.xml

It will give you a list of channel in xml that you can edit into an m3u file and have only the channel that you want.  You can change the channel number as long as the channel callsign is left alone it will work with the emby guide data.

a few line of my m3u list for locast New-York

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="101",WCBSDT
http://127.0.0.1:6077/watch/104

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="102",WCBSDT2
http://127.0.0.1:6077/watch/1574529688027

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="103",WCBSDT3
http://127.0.0.1:6077/watch/1574529688175

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="104",WJLPDT
http://127.0.0.1:6077/watch/866

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="104",WJLPDT2
http://127.0.0.1:6077/watch/867

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="106",WJLPDT3
http://127.0.0.1:6077/watch/868

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="107",WJLPDT4
http://127.0.0.1:6077/watch/869

Hope this help

ElroyPaisley

I'm also NY - do you have any trouble with NBC?  For some reason it's not showing up on my Emby* guide (though if I log into locast apps, it's right there).

Ignore this, my VPS is in Chicago so Locast2Plex is pulling those channels and I have my guide setup wrong...derp!

Thanks for this - it's going to perfectly solve my problem!

Actually I just tried to DIY an M3U and my server didn't like it.  But I'll take another crack at it soon.  If you have any tips to offer, I'm all ears.

Edited by ElroyPaisley

reneboulard
1 hour ago, ElroyPaisley said:

Actually I just tried to DIY an M3U and my server didn't like it.  But I'll take another crack at it soon.  If you have any tips to offer, I'm all ears.

I use m3u file for my hdhomerun and locast in order to make sure I have different channel number for the same tv station.

The channel number on the hdhomerun are the original one, to make sure the locast channel show up in the guide I assign a different number to the TV station.

If you do not do this the locast channel will not show up in the guide since the hdhomerun tunner already have those channel mapped.

This is the way I found to make a Hdhomerun tuner coexist with locast with the same channel numbers.

I included my locast m3u for new-york, all channels show in emby guide from channel 100.

Hope this help.

locast1.JPG

locast2.JPG

locast3.JPG

locast3.JPG

locastNY.m3u

ElroyPaisley

Thanks for the details and the screenshots.  I am not running an HDHR tuner on this box - I'm running a cloud based server so I don't have any real tuner attached, it's all M3U  - trying to see how robust of a legal, m3u only system I can put together.

wilsonclan73
On 9/4/2020 at 8:53 AM, BillOatman said:

Not sure how much locast2plex allows you to do or how much anyone wants to modify the python code, but I implemented locast support into a player app I wrote with information gained from the locast2plex project so time to give back :)  I found that once you get a locast account, you can set the DMA and lat/long to any market that locast supports and you can view the channels in that market without using a VPN.  Works very well! The streams I have looked at so far are of average quality at best in terms of resolution and FPS, but they have been reliable.

What do you have to do to set the DMA and lat/long so you don’t have to use a vpn ?

BillOatman
18 minutes ago, wilsonclan73 said:

What do you have to do to set the DMA and lat/long so you don’t have to use a vpn ?

Any works for watching once you have an account.  To create a account use a VPN set to one of their supported areas.  

wilsonclan73
1 minute ago, BillOatman said:

Any works for watching once you have an account.  To create a account use a VPN set to one of their supported areas.  

So once you set it up with the vpn on then you can turn the vpn off and you can watch any area they cover ?

You would need to have the VPN switch the area and restart the script from what I've seen so it grabs the new DMA/broadcast area.

BillOatman
4 hours ago, cayars said:

You would need to have the VPN switch the area and restart the script from what I've seen so it grabs the new DMA/broadcast area.

Yeah like I said, I don't know how that script works. 

• 5 months later...
atomicmoon

Does this 3rd party app still work? 

I'm not familiar with Python, but after trial and error I was able to get it installed, setup and it appears to be running and updating periodically in the shell window.

Emby has detected my "HDHomerun" device running on the correct IP and port. Before correct setup, Emby would refuse to set up, so I believe I have it setup, 

but Emby is not detecting any channels, to where as the shell window states it discovered 61 channels.

I appear to have it running, and communicating with Emby, but no channels to be seen.

Thanks for any feedback!

atomicmoon
51 minutes ago, atomicmoon said:

Does this 3rd party app still work? 

I'm not familiar with Python, but after trial and error I was able to get it installed, setup and it appears to be running and updating periodically in the shell window.

Emby has detected my "HDHomerun" device running on the correct IP and port. Before correct setup, Emby would refuse to set up, so I believe I have it setup, 

but Emby is not detecting any channels, to where as the shell window states it discovered 61 channels.

I appear to have it running, and communicating with Emby, but no channels to be seen.

Thanks for any feedback!

Eureka!
Default I.P. address in the config.ini was still set to 0.0.0.0 instead of the I.P. address the service was running on.

So far this is pretty sweet and best of all, legal!

If anyone has had success setting this up as a service using NSSM I'm all ears. I've got it to successfully install, but once Windows attempts to start it, it fails and says it gives no reason.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
martincom
On 5/14/2021 at 7:33 PM, atomicmoon said:

If anyone has had success setting this up as a service using NSSM I'm all ears. I've got it to successfully install, but once Windows attempts to start it, it fails and says it gives no reason.

I just installed this today.  Quite a number of things have changed from the OP's instructions as a result of software updates to the components.  As such, all the additional parameters in the sample NSSM setup box are no longer required, as they are configured in the locast2plex app.  Below is the NSSM setup box for my configuration:

NSSM Locast2Plex.PNG

• Like 1

atomicmoon
4 hours ago, martincom said:

I just installed this today.  Quite a number of things have changed from the OP's instructions as a result of software updates to the components.  As such, all the additional parameters in the sample NSSM setup box are no longer required, as they are configured in the locast2plex app.  Below is the NSSM setup box for my configuration:

NSSM Locast2Plex.PNG

Thank you so very much!

I can finally reboot my system lol

• Haha 1

martincom

You do not need to download/install ffmpeg any longer, either.   It is integrated into the locast2plex app.

Edited by martincom

Maisy

All this work is awesome, I have mine running since January on a laptop and never reboot or anything just let it do it 's thing and all I need is to move stuff to new spaces as needed.

If I do want to fiddle with it I will update and get it set up all the better. Right now it ain't broke so ...

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Bearloverpr

hi guys, tried to install and I think i did this correctly, I followed the instruction on this page: https://github.com/tgorgdotcom/locast2plex

Installed Python 3.6.8
Downloaded the locast2plex and unzip it in a folder named locast2plex-main
created my config.ini with my username, password and ip (don't know if I have to add the default port here too), there was a uuid on the config file, left it as it was and used the command line to activate. its working from the command window. Added the IP on emby  with homerun hd, and created my guide.

I see the channel list and the tv guide but when I click on play I received from emby this error: No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.

Don't know if a made a mistake of left something out.Any idea?

Edited by Bearloverpr

martincom

Python is actually up to v3.9.  That is what I utilized and it is working for me.  You may want to update, though I'm thinking that is not your issue.  However, it easy enough to do.

What did you utilize for the username, password, and IP address when you created the config.ini file?  The username and password would be those for Locast.  Also, you must be subscribed (donor) to Locast for this to function.   Assuming you installed this on a PC that hosts Emby, you would utilize that IP address.  You don't need to specify the port number, in the config.ini, unless you have a conflict with the default 6077 and have to change it.

Edited by martincom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play

Copied from Report center.

@Bearloverpr Submitted 1 hour ago

Thank you! updating to 3.9.5 made it work.

• 3 weeks later...
Bingie

Wow!

I can't believe my luck finding this thread, I was just getting ready to post a question on the forums, asking is there any way to get locast to work from within Emby.  You guys rock :)

All I want is a few local channels (I'm already a locast donor in a supported city).  We just want to watch local news in the morning, don't need anything else like recording shows etc.  My biggest concern is ease of use, my mom is in her 80's, and she struggles switching between the Emby app and other apps.  If I can add a "News" option to our main Emby page, she should be able to handle that, after I show her how to do it a few dozen times.

I'll make another pot of coffee, then re-read this thread again, then try to figure out all of this stuff :)  I'll post my progress here.

Thanks

• Like 1

Bingie

hmm Emby doesn't see the locally installed live tv device

I followed the directions, installed latest python3, d/l locast2plex, created config.ini

I started it manually via command line: python main.py, runs fine, logs in, gets info, says "Locast2Plex is now online."

From Emby control panel, trying to add live tv/dvr via setup.  Selected "HD Homerun" put IP address (running on same server), but Emby isn't finding it.

I'm thinking, do I have to open a firewall port, so Emby can see the locast2plex service?  It's not seeing it.

I haven't installed locast2plex as a service yet, will do that after I know it works manually.

Thanks

Bingie

Okay I added 2 rules to firewall, to allow tcp 6077, and allow udp 1900, but emby still can't detect locally running locast2plex service, which is currently running

I'm open to suggestions please :)  thanks

Bingie

It works!  w00t :)  I got the guide working too, this part is all new to me, will have to fiddle around with it.

locast on emby is awesome!  I'll have to filter it down to just a few channels, so my mom doesn't panic from information overload HAH

• Like 1

martincom

Good to hear you were able to get it installed without to much difficulty.  Maybe if you'd mention what OS you have Emby & LocasttoPlex installed upon, it'll be  a reference for others that follow.  I run mine on Server 2012 and I didn't have to make any firewall port entries.  I wouldn't expect to if both Emby and LocasttoPlex are installed on the same PC or VM.