Subtitles out of sync

EVDEADSHOT

EVDEADSHOT

Hi guys,

Loving the work you’ve done.

Is there any update on the discussion around the subtitle delay setting?

My subs are fine, they play correctly in VLC locally.

But when I cast to my tv, all subs play ahead of audio by 4 or 5 seconds.

If anyone has any input that’d be appreciated too.

But yeah keen to hear what’s happening with the prospect of subtitle delay settings.

Thanks.

pwhodges

I have reported that recently.  It happens when transcoding.  I found I could fix it by going to the transcoding settings in the dashboard and clearing the checkbox at the bottom for "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" which I previously had set (I had to play something different to test it, because the incorrect data seemed to be cached for a while).

For me this only became a problem in a recent beta.  It would be useful to know what version of the server you are using, and indeed whether what I've done fixes it for you as well.

Paul

• Like 1

EVDEADSHOT
On 27/08/2020 at 19:13, pwhodges said:

There was a log in my earlier post.

Paul

5 hours ago, Luke said:

Sorry guys i didn't get any notifications from this post until that last one.

Forgot about it actually.

I'll get onto it and get back to you.

Cheers.

EVDEADSHOT
On 03/09/2020 at 02:46, Luke said:

That would be great, thanks !

So I've added new media to the library with accompanying subs.

All play in sync.

It seems to be podnapsi subs that play out of sync.

Also I dont know why but opensubs isnt connecting.

I've created an account and associated it in the server settings.

I forget what i was watching the other night, all subs were playing 5 seconds ahead of audio.

I just played a few seconds to get you a log.

These subs are playing 5 seconds behind audio.

emby-log20200904.txt

podnapsi doesn't have a hash matching feature like opensubtitles, so the fact that they're out of sync is not a huge surprise.

EVDEADSHOT
6 hours ago, Luke said:

podnapsi doesn't have a hash matching feature like opensubtitles, so the fact that they're out of sync is not a huge surprise.

Ok no worries.

Any ideas why open subs isn't connecting?

Hi,

You're getting SSL Cert errors for opensubtitles, Addic7ed

The log is also showing thesubdb being fed hash codes like this http://api.thesubdb.com/?action=search&hash=CE6FC85DD06A3A5941734B0B223FD624 which return an error.

Please check your system date and time to make sure they are accurate.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, MattS156 said:

I've found that when my VPN is enabled, this happens. 

HI there, can we please look at an example?

20 hours ago, MattS156 said:

I've found that when my VPN is enabled, this happens. 

VPNs change your network stack and often have the downside of getting blocked by different sites. I know some of the meta-data providers used by Emby block several different IP pools used by VPN providers due to abuse. That's the dirty little secret of VPNs as many people use them to hide malicious activity.  That often leads to manual or automatic blocking of the IPs causing the problems.

It may not be a total block but a temporary couple hour block caused by someone using the same IP earlier or maybe a couple people from the IP block were up to no good so the whole C block range is blocked.

As Luke said we would need to look at a specific example to determine what's going on specific to your case.

From experience I can tell you if your VPN provider supports Split Tunnel you should use this to avoid problems. Setup Emby Server to be split and not use the VPN while all other traffic uses the VPN.  That allows Emby to work normally while everything else you do on the computer runs through the VPN.

Carlo

• 1 year later...
On 9/11/2023 at 3:51 PM, LittleKinder said:

I have the exact same issue, i have to watch some tv shows on vlc because of that, i get subtitles a few seconds earlier when watching through emby

not sure what you need so i got everything

image.thumb.png.58f4867548ac6a86d605da04aff3024d.png

embyserver (3).txt 41.94 MB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-remux-fa8d9734-e616-4825-ab1f-206d184d0500_1.txt 121.3 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, we'll take a look at this. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have any of you tried what Paul mentioned in an earlier post?  I'll quote the post:

On 8/23/2020 at 11:41 AM, pwhodges said:

I have reported that recently.  It happens when transcoding.  I found I could fix it by going to the transcoding settings in the dashboard and clearing the checkbox at the bottom for "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" which I previously had set (I had to play something different to test it, because the incorrect data seemed to be cached for a while).

For me this only became a problem in a recent beta.  It would be useful to know what version of the server you are using, and indeed whether what I've done fixes it for you as well.

Paul

• Thanks 1

LittleKinder
On 9/30/2023 at 12:36 AM, Carlo said:

Have any of you tried what Paul mentioned in an earlier post?  I'll quote the post:

Thank you that worked, i just unticked the checkbox and tadaaaa

It's taking longer to start playing the episode though (i'm guessing transcoding)

But now i can watch everything through emby, you will be missed VLC you were  are the best

Edited by LittleKinder
  • Like 1