Mobile Player With RPi4 And Android TV

steenbag

steenbag

Hi all,

I'm looking at switching from Kodi to Emby. We have Kodi running on a smart TV at our house, with videos on a network share. However, we are looking at buying an RV, and want to take our media collection with us on trips but also have access at home. Kodi does not make this easy, which is why I've been looking into the mobile sync features of Emby.

What I would like to do is:

• Run Emby server on a VM on my UnRaid box at the house, which will handle the ripping, transcoding, and storing video to the network shares.
  • Install Android TV on a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB) with the Emby Android app and an external hard drive for media storage.
  • Use mobile sync to get media from the server to the RPi so we can take it with us. (Aware this requires a subscription).

Has anyone done this, or are there any pitfalls with this setup? I've been trying to setup Android TV on the Pi, but have been hitting some roadblocks, so I might be stuck with an off the shelf android tv box if I can't get that working.

Thanks!

hi, I haven't heard of this before, no, but if you can manage to get android on the Pi then it sounds like the rest of your plan should work fine.

• 2 weeks later...
gmpmovies

@steenbag I use Emby in my trailer, however the setup isn't exactly what you're looking for. I just use the raspberry pi to host Emby and as a Wireless Access Point (it's not actually connected to the www, but it gives me wireless access to the pi).

I can connect to the pi's wireless access point with my Amazon Fire TV stick and my phone and stream movies through the Emby app or on my browser (using the IP address of my Pi and the emby port). The only pitfall is that it needs to be checked in about every month to validate my emby premiere license. I wrote an article about this setup here if you're interested: https://www.tylerstechspot.com/portable-media-server

Edited by gmpmovies

EarlyCuyler

Why not just run it in a docker and serve your media that way?  That's how I run mine and I can access anything anywhere with no problems.  Including IPTV.