Confused about Emby / Emby premiere

Video Enthusiast

Video Enthusiast

Hi - I have seen the wiki and feature lists and I am still confused about what features of Emby are free vs require Emby premiere? My questions are below.

I am running Emby on Windows. On my Nvidia Shield, I had installed the Emby client, and the trial expired, which I understand - it won't work now without buying Emby premiere. However, I thought access using a web browser was free. However when using Chrome on my Nvidia Shield and going to http://192.168.0.176:8095 when I log in it only plays 1 minute and I need to upgrade to Premiere. But on my 2  Windows PCs (one running emby server and one not, in Chrome I can play videos fine). So is accessing Emby from an Nvidia shield even using a browser a paid feature? 

What about using Emby through Kodi. On my Windows PC (the same one running Emby) I have installed Kodi and installed the Embuary Plugin (I like the guy and how when it launches it shows the little poster on the bottom left) it works fine. I was about to start installing Kodi on my Nvidia shield to do the same (use it as a client) - but the setup takes a bit of time - once I do that, is it going to also say I need Emby premier also, like the other apps running on my Shield?

@cayars

Gilgamesh_48

If you do not want Premiere you can purchase the app on the Shield for something like a one time $5.00 charge. Many people do that. Also that one time purchase covers the apps on all devices connected to the same Google account. Fire TV apps must be purchased separately as must apps on Apple devices. One purchase on a Fire device covers all Fire devices on the same Amazon account. That also works on Apple devices and Apple accounts.

As far as Chrome on the Shield goes I think that is a separate case as it is still on an Android device. I "think" the "free on a browser" pertains to browsers on Windows and Linux systems. I have not seen any discussion about accessing Emby through a web browser on any Android device.

I also am pretty sure the app is free on Roku devices but, since I have premiere, I am not sure about that.

I do not know about Kodi on a PC as that is something I have not even seen discussed as I do not like Kodi enough to have ever used it on any device for any time longer than to test to find that it just does not fill my needs at all.

3 hours ago, Video Enthusiast said:

Hi - I have seen the wiki and feature lists and I am still confused about what features of Emby are free vs require Emby premiere? My questions are below.

I am running Emby on Windows. On my Nvidia Shield, I had installed the Emby client, and the trial expired, which I understand - it won't work now without buying Emby premiere. However, I thought access using a web browser was free. However when using Chrome on my Nvidia Shield and going to http://192.168.0.176:8095 when I log in it only plays 1 minute and I need to upgrade to Premiere. But on my 2  Windows PCs (one running emby server and one not, in Chrome I can play videos fine). So is accessing Emby from an Nvidia shield even using a browser a paid feature? 

What about using Emby through Kodi. On my Windows PC (the same one running Emby) I have installed Kodi and installed the Embuary Plugin (I like the guy and how when it launches it shows the little poster on the bottom left) it works fine. I was about to start installing Kodi on my Nvidia shield to do the same (use it as a client) - but the setup takes a bit of time - once I do that, is it going to also say I need Emby premier also, like the other apps running on my Shield?

@cayars

Hi,

Let me see if I can help answer. Android TV doesn't include a web browser in the OS.  There are apps that can be used like a browser but these are not the intent to run free Emby on them.  Free access for full playback is intended for mobile and desktop clients as the Matrix shows here https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix

Emby should work for full playback on any Kodi installation.

Hope that helps

Video Enthusiast

Thanks!  I'd probably just get Emby Premiere life-time. It's not that I am against buying Premiere  I just still in the testing phase of comparing Emby, Jellyfin, and Plex. So far Plex is out (I don't like the GUI) and Emby is winning, since it seems to be 1) really fast, esp in scanning libraries compared to Jellyfin, 2) The Kodi Embuary skin only is supported with Emby (and only Embuary enables videos to launch with the little poster on the bottom left - like in Jellyfin - which I like),  3) I can run Emby server on the Nvidia Shields itself whereas Jellyfin cannot, 4) also the people in these forums are really responsive, up-front, and on the ball !

I did read that the Plex client on the Roku is free because it always was free and I think there are lot of contributors and there are also complications with billing. May even be worth buying a Roku.

Hey all,  Cayers I did not see your post before I posted my reply below - thanks for clarifying - I'll install Kodi on the shield - great to know!

Edited by Video Enthusiast
updating since another person responded and I did not see their post
  • Like 1

If you side load a true browser it should work but likely not if the browser uses Exoplayer for playback as that would appear like the app vs a browser. That's why we say for PC and mobile only.

Emby is free for normal playback on Roku devices.  Something like Live TV playback would of course require a premiere license.

Video Enthusiast

Yes, Firefox on the Nvidia Shield works fine, very cool! 

I had to install it a while back as a side-loaded app, and I'll check if it's Firefox for Android TV or if it's Firefox for regular Android (Phone). 

BTW I had to install Firefox on my shield as a way to login to my Apple TV account, as Apple has still not released an App for the Shield, arghghg.

Video Enthusiast

Update: Confirmed - Kodi + Embuary skin connecting to my Emby server works! thanks all. 

I have what I think is a configuration question - but I'll start a separate thread for that, thanks.