Send On-Screen popup message to Emby?

ltek
Go to solution Solved by ltek,

39 minutes ago, chef said:

Try using the actual up address of your emby server instead of local host.

Also, are you using POST?

Also, please try with an API key at the end of the url 😃

Running POST commands using RestMan plugin on Chrome -- directly from Win10 PC running Emby server.  LOCALHOST aka 192.168.2.60

Can you post a format that works?

I tried... 

http://localhost:8096/emby/SendMessage?DeviceName=Office&Header=Hello&Text=World&TimeoutMs=10000?api_key=<key>

http://localhost:8096/emby/SendMessage?DeviceName=Office&Header=Hello&Text=World&TimeoutMs=10000?UserID=<key>

also tried '&' instead of '?'

I get 500 Internal Server Error: Input string was not in a correct format.

Edited by ltek

chef
47 minutes ago, ltek said:

Running POST commands using RestMan plugin on Chrome -- directly from Win10 PC running Emby server.  LOCALHOST aka 192.168.2.60

Can you post a format that works?

I tried... 

http://localhost:8096/emby/SendMessage?DeviceName=Office&Header=Hello&Text=World&TimeoutMs=10000?api_key=<key>

http://localhost:8096/emby/SendMessage?DeviceName=Office&Header=Hello&Text=World&TimeoutMs=10000?UserID=<key>

also tried '&' instead of '?'

I get 500 Internal Server Error: Input string was not in a correct format.

500 error. You installed the plugin dll I posted before?

Out the dll in the plugins folder and restarted the server?

Edited by chef

16 minutes ago, chef said:

500 error. You installed the plugin dll I posted before?

Out the dll in the plugins folder and restarted the server?

of course... I followed your instructions,and tried a ton more stuff too. Did you test it?  What 'exact'  POST command worked for you?

chef

@ltek

Question: what is the device  "Office"? Try using the "DeviceName=Chrome".

Emby doesn't have any client application for a device named "Office", or "Office-PC".

Please take a look at the dashboard to see all the different Devices currently connected to Emby server and their respective Device Name :)

Example:

Chrome is the Device  

Emby Web is the Client

Browsers are a bit strange that way...

You will need an api_key at the end of the url.

{SERVER_IP}:8096/emby/SendMessage?DeviceName=Chrome&Header=Hello&Text=World&TimeoutMs=5000&api_key={YOUR_API_KEY}

If none of that works, please try this below:

1. You'll have to create an API Key in the Dashboard.

2. Please put the DLL in the link below into the "Emby-Server/programdata/plugins" folder

3. Restart the server.

4. POST to this address:

{SERVER_IP}:8096/emby/SendMessage?DeviceName=Chrome&Header=Hello&Text=World&TimeoutMs=5000&api_key={YOUR_API_KEY}

DeviceMessenger.zip

Edited by chef

4 hours ago, chef said:

@ltek

Question: what is the device  "Office"? Try using the "DeviceName=Chrome".

Emby doesn't have any client application for a device named "Office", or "Office-PC".

Please take a look at the dashboard to see all the different Devices currently connected to Emby server and their respective Device Name :)

Example:

Chrome is the Device  

Emby Web is the Client

Browsers are a bit strange that way...

Please see the Screenshot of the Device Names in Emby.  Are you saying your plugin is not using the Device Names that Emby creates and/or allows us to set? ... this is the whole point to using device names.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

chef
26 minutes ago, ltek said:

Please see the Screenshot of the Device Names in Emby.  Are you saying your plugin is not using the Device Names that Emby creates and/or allows us to set? ... this is the whole point to using device names.

Capture.JPG

Interesting.

Would you mind opening the swagger for the API?

Dashboard -> bottom of page -> click link "Api"

Scroll down until you see "DeviceMessengerService"

Click on "POST"

Click on "Try it out"

Fill in the the required message data and then press "Execute"

Thank you for your patience. I will have a better understanding of what is going on if you could let me know what the return data looks like, and if you are able to receive a popup message on your devices UI.

5 hours ago, chef said:

Interesting.

Would you mind opening the swagger for the API?

Dashboard -> bottom of page -> click link "Api"

Scroll down until you see "DeviceMessengerService"

Click on "POST"

Click on "Try it out"

Fill in the the required message data and then press "Execute"

Thank you for your patience. I will have a better understanding of what is going on if you could let me know what the return data looks like, and if you are able to receive a popup message on your devices UI.

Same issue-- I tried two devices

Swagger.JPG

Swagger2.JPG

chef

Please try this new version. It works for me. I have mocked up my message environment like yours and it works well.

message1.png

message2.png

message3.png

DeviceMessenger.zip

Edited by chef

@chef

Its not working proper.

It only works local where Emby Server is running... it is not going outside that PC. Not sending to AaronsPhone or Office.

.. and I even 100% turned off the Win10 firewall ... didnt help.

Emby login,  menus,  streaming to all clients (even over the internet) works perfectly... including AaronsPhone and Office.

Emby Server's Win10 PC is on the same physical LAN, same subnet as all the test devices... I have no VLANs, no firewalls.  All the PCs are Win10 w/ Gig Ethernet, Phone is Wifi 5 (802.11ac) 

chef
10 minutes ago, ltek said:

@chef

Its not working proper.

It only works local where Emby Server is running... it is not going outside that PC. Not sending to AaronsPhone or Office.

.. and I even 100% turned off the Win10 firewall ... didnt help.

Emby login,  menus,  streaming to all clients (even over the internet) works perfectly... including AaronsPhone and Office.

Emby Server's Win10 PC is on the same physical LAN, same subnet as all the test devices... I have no VLANs, no firewalls.  All the PCs are Win10 w/ Gig Ethernet, Phone is Wifi 5 (802.11ac) 

What client is AaronsPhone?

Not all clients will implement the message system.

Here is a picture of it working in the Android app on my Google phone.

Also working on Fire TV stick (which is Android TV)

I am not sure why you aren't seeing the same results. Not to worry we'll figure it out. Make sure it gets working for you

Screenshot_20200828-194935.png

IMG_20200828_195306.jpg

Edited by chef

It looks like a communications problem, not an OS issue since Office & the Emby Server are both running Win10.  But since I turned off the Fwall on both Win10 PCs... its not Win10 blocking it.  I dont have any other AV or FW software running... AND I have Blue Iris and a Home Automation app both running on the Emby Server Win10 PC, sending info to/from PCs, Phones, Tablets, etc all over the house - wired and wireless

btw... Phone is Android 9

• Like 1

chef

@ltek

I change the messaging system and we're not utilizing a controlling Session.Id when sending the message.

It works for me, but I'm really interested if it works for you.

Same thing here, drop in the DLL and restart the server :)

After server restart, if you have an open clients, please take a moment to maneuver around the UI so that the session becomes active with emby again.

Then try the "BroadcastMessage" endpoint in the swagger and see if the message appears in your clients.

DeviceMessenger.zip

13 minutes ago, chef said:

@ltek

I change the messaging system and we're not utilizing a controlling Session.Id when sending the message.

It works for me, but I'm really interested if it works for you.

Same thing here, drop in the DLL and restart the server :)

After server restart, if you have an open clients, please take a moment to maneuver around the UI so that the session becomes active with emby again.

Then try the "BroadcastMessage" endpoint in the swagger and see if the message appears in your clients.

DeviceMessenger.zip 62.24 kB · 0 downloads

Nothing in Swagger shows BraodcastMessage

Capture.JPG

Edited by ltek

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, ltek said:

Nothing in Swagger shows BraodcastMessage

Capture.JPG

Did you look in DeviceMessengerService?

• Like 1

chef

Sorry, it's under "DeviceMessengerService"

You now have "BroadcastMessage" and "SendMessage"

chef
Just now, Happy2Play said:

Did you look in DeviceMessengerService?

Oh thank you Happy.

I just can't quite understand why itek messages are not working.

I realize you're busy, but would you mind seeing if you have issues with this sir?

Happy2Play
52 minutes ago, chef said:

Oh thank you Happy.

I just can't quite understand why itek messages are not working.

I realize you're busy, but would you mind seeing if you have issues with this sir?

I didn't have any issues sending to my iPhone app via WAN connection or broadcasting to multiple browser and iPhone.

Edited by Happy2Play

I've downloaded 3 times and shutdown Emby, copied the DLL... no Broadcast endpoint?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Edited by ltek

• 1 month later...
majorsl

Do you think this will ever make it into the Plugin Catalog?  I really could use this with my home automation as well.  It'd be great to send notifications to clients based on HA triggers.