Emby Theater - No Internet

JDizzy

generiq
2 hours ago, Carlo said:

Are you testing this on or off lan?

You could try and remove the existing server.  Then setup 2 different servers.  Try using the local IP and non-secured port for on lan use then setup the second server using your domain and secured port.

Laptop, both server and client. Same machine. 

Edited by generiq

Sorry, didn't mean to setup two Emby Servers.  I meant to remove the current server entries in Theater then setup one entry while remote using your domain and then another server entry while on your local LAN using local IP info.  You shouldn't need to do this but I'm curious if this works in your situation or not.

BTW, are you logging with your username/password as configured on your server or using Emby Connect?

Thanks

generiq

There is no network. No other devices,  no remote access...just a single laptop with the server installed on it and Theater running on the same machine. 

This is going to need clarification. Without a network there would be no IP addressing, no TCP and no way to connect since Emby requires IP/TCP to function.
You would have to have some stub network available.

What IP address is the server showing on the console?

generiq

With the server and client on the same machine, network protocols should not be required. If the server is operating strictly in this manner, that needs to change. But that is a side note. Why would the thumbnails and usability disappear if access to the internet is lost within such a short time? This is insanity. Carlo, I've given you a little room on this, but you are floundering,  and making me repeat myself because once again,  you're not paying attention. This is beyond you, as you're not a developer. There is about 24 hours before I'm in the desert and will probably have no access to the internet. So I'm shit out of luck. Emby is useless to me. I'll just stick with mpv, then I can play whatever I want, whenever I want to play it. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, generiq said:

With the server and client on the same machine, network protocols should not be required

Hi.  The standard network protocols are how these types of systems communicate - even on the same machine.

generiq
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The standard network protocols are how these types of systems communicate - even on the same machine.

It's moot, at this point. Emby won't work at all where I'll be in a few hours. 

Stay tuned because we are working on a new windows app that will have everything embedded and self-contained.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, generiq said:

With the server and client on the same machine, network protocols should not be required. If the server is operating strictly in this manner, that needs to change. But that is a side note. Why would the thumbnails and usability disappear if access to the internet is lost within such a short time? This is insanity. Carlo, I've given you a little room on this, but you are floundering,  and making me repeat myself because once again,  you're not paying attention. This is beyond you, as you're not a developer. There is about 24 hours before I'm in the desert and will probably have no access to the internet. So I'm shit out of luck. Emby is useless to me. I'll just stick with mpv, then I can play whatever I want, whenever I want to play it. 

No one is floundering or making you repeat yourself but requesting clarification of information that is contradictory.

Which of the following is true?

On 5/25/2023 at 8:56 PM, generiq said:

There is no network. No other devices,  no remote access...just a single laptop with the server installed on it and Theater running on the same machine. 

20 hours ago, generiq said:

Why would the thumbnails and usability disappear if access to the internet is lost within such a short time? This is insanity. Carlo, I've given you a little room on this, but you are floundering,  and making me repeat myself because once again,  you're not paying attention. This is beyond you, as you're not a developer. There is about 24 hours before I'm in the desert and will probably have no access to the internet. So I'm shit out of luck. Emby is useless to me. I'll just stick with mpv, then I can play whatever I want, whenever I want to play it. 

One message says no network, another mentions loss of Internet which requires a network. These are quite different things. If there's a network card present, you should be able to use the IP address of 127.0.0.1 which always refers to the local host. ie http://127.0.0.1:8096

You have been warned before about trying to show some type of superiority over others or trying to belittle other people in our forums. We try very hard to make our community a very friendly place and will not tolerate this kind of nonsense. On a personal note, I'd suggest you refrain from making comments or "assessments" of another person's knowledge, skills, work history or accomplishments when you know next to nothing about what you're talking about. ;) 

generiq
On 5/28/2023 at 11:00 AM, Luke said:

Stay tuned because we are working on a new windows app that will have everything embedded and self-contained.

Thanks Luke,  but that's been in the works for what appears to be years, at this point. 

generiq

Awwww....don't cry Carlo. Use your panties to wipe your tears. You could so easily avoid this, by simply not talking to me. I actively avoid you. So this only happens when you seek me out. Warn me, block my account and IP, if you wish. It's only the internet. It's disposable garbage. You take yourself too seriously,  my little muffin. 

• 2 weeks later...
HannibalRoG
On 5/28/2023 at 2:00 PM, Luke said:

Any news about this? I really need Emby theater without any internet connection in clients.

On 6/11/2023 at 11:53 PM, HannibalRoG said:

Any news about this? I really need Emby theater without any internet connection in clients.

We are actively working on it. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
TandT

From looking around the forum, I think this is the right spot for this issue.  I am running the Emby server and Emby Theater on the same Linux machine (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS). The Linux machine controls my whole house audio system and provides one of its music sources (i.e. my music library on Emby) through Emby Theater. When selecting my music library for a given zone, my web interface connects with the Emby server web interface where the user needs to select the icon in the upper right corner to tell Emby to play on a different device (i.e. Emby Theater) so that the music goes to the whole house audio amplifier rather the user’s device/client. 

The problem is that Emby Theater stops showing up in the list to Play On after a few days even though my Linux machine and everything else seems to be working fine. The only way that I have been able to get Emby Theater to show up on the Play On list again is to remote login to that machine (it is running headless) and either stop and restart Emby Theater or fiddle with Theater a little.  My interface is for ease of use by my family members, but this is worse than when I was using Kodi.

Is this a licensing issue?!?  My machine is on my local internet and has access to the internet. I am not a fan of apps “phoning home” because of security concerns (not to mention privacy issues).  If it is a licensing issue, why have that behavior (phone home) when I have a “lifetime” license for Emby Theater?

• 3 weeks later...
voodoo5_6k

I've recently tested emby Theater and have a few questions regarding firewall setup.

The system this is supposed to be running on is basically offline. Just once a month it gets online to retrieve patches etc. Internet access for browsing is running over a VM.

So, emby Theater. It won't even start without active internet. The electron processes fire up, but nothing happens. Just "sitting" there in the taskbar. Alright, give its *.exe internet access to see how this looks. Not even that works.

Now, what executable/process needs UDP/TCP on which remote ports? It is definitely UDP/TCP, as even with unrestricted access on Windows, the pfSense only allows UDP/TCP for this host (and then it starts properly). However, unrestricted access for the entire OS is not an option.

I understand there's a new application in the works. Will it change anything in that regard?

Thanks.

PS: Uninstall didn't clean up properly, it even kept emby Theater in the Windows application list, dead... Also, several registry entries (obviously) and folders were left behind, although the "no traces" option was selected... Had to use Revo Uninstaller to clean this up. Maybe this needs some reworking?

On 2/5/2024 at 4:01 AM, voodoo5_6k said:

I've recently tested emby Theater and have a few questions regarding firewall setup.

The system this is supposed to be running on is basically offline. Just once a month it gets online to retrieve patches etc. Internet access for browsing is running over a VM.

So, emby Theater. It won't even start without active internet. The electron processes fire up, but nothing happens. Just "sitting" there in the taskbar. Alright, give its *.exe internet access to see how this looks. Not even that works.

Now, what executable/process needs UDP/TCP on which remote ports? It is definitely UDP/TCP, as even with unrestricted access on Windows, the pfSense only allows UDP/TCP for this host (and then it starts properly). However, unrestricted access for the entire OS is not an option.

I understand there's a new application in the works. Will it change anything in that regard?

Thanks.

PS: Uninstall didn't clean up properly, it even kept emby Theater in the Windows application list, dead... Also, several registry entries (obviously) and folders were left behind, although the "no traces" option was selected... Had to use Revo Uninstaller to clean this up. Maybe this needs some reworking?

Hi, we have a new windows app coming soon and all of this will be resolved, so stay tuned.

voodoo5_6k
31 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, we have a new windows app coming soon and all of this will be resolved, so stay tuned.

Thanks Luke! That's good to know, looking forward to it.

• Thanks 1

Kocane
On 2/11/2024 at 8:22 AM, Luke said:

Any news? Any beta we can try? It's been "stay tuned" for two years now.

6 hours ago, Kocane said:

Any news? Any beta we can try? It's been "stay tuned" for two years now.

Hi, not yet but it is close.