Most movies can't be transcode fluently by Emby on the Raspberry Pi 4B 8G

jzguoyan

jzguoyan

Hi

I try to use EmbyServer on the Raspberry Pi 4B. But most movies can't be transcode fluently by Emby on the Raspberry Pi 4B 8G. So I think the EmbyServe is not suitable to use on the Raspberry Pi 4B. 

Is that true and if anybody had used EmbyServer on the Raspberry Pi 4B?

Somebody pls help me!

Thank you!

mastrmind11

um, no, rpi isn't suitable for media that needs transcoding.  convert your media to a format that is able to be streamed directly, or install emby on a device with better performance.  you could also try to get hardware acceleration running, though I've never tried that nor know whether it's fully supported.

jzguoyan
12 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

um, no, rpi isn't suitable for media that needs transcoding.  convert your media to a format that is able to be streamed directly, or install emby on a device with better performance.  you could also try to get hardware acceleration running, though I've never tried that nor know whether it's fully supported.

The topic below is likely to implement transcoding fluently with HW Acceleration on the Raspberry Pi 4B, but I tried again and again without success. Did I understand it wrong somewhere?

Again it depends on what you're playing and how you've configured it. That's why I asked to look at an example. Thanks.

jzguoyan
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Again it depends on what you're playing and how you've configured it. That's why I asked to look at an example. Thanks.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant before.

I use the Doraemon.Nobitas.of.the.Moon.Exploration.2019.1080p.BluRay.DTS.4Audio.x264-HDS-Obfuscated as the example. As figured below, of course it's no problem with direct steam, but when I turned the Audio code from default to Chinese AC3 stereo and the Subtitles on to Chinese(PGSSUB), the playback that was been transcoding automatically became lagging about every 3 minutes, regardless I kept default as YES or I selected "Advanced" with "ARM V4L2 H.264" under the item of "Enable hardware acceleration when available" of the "Transcoding" tab. If I selected "Advanced" with "OpenMax H.264", the movie couldn't even be played any more.

I don't know if I have described my problem clearly, I beg forgiveness for my clumsiness in language, and hope to get your help.

image.thumb.png.e1f374687be0ce9b8efba268cf66efeb.pngMy 

image.thumb.png.85bdd7efc56cdc6847683172c691e2d9.png

image.thumb.png.8ce1b6cee5cd57926b0d7530d3083cb2.png

image.thumb.png.be1189e2f422649cfb9239530b01020c.png

Edited by Happy2Play
Removed 2 images with WAN IP

Happy2Play

Please post the ffmpeg log, but your biggest issue will be the pgsub as the majority of the time will require a full transcode.  I bet you would not have a issue with external subtitles.

jzguoyan
10 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Please post the ffmpeg log, but your biggest issue will be the pgsub as the majority of the time will require a full transcode.  I bet you would not have a issue with external subtitles.

Hello, Happy2Play!

You are so great and I thank you very very much. When I change the Subtitles to "off", the movie can transcoding and play fluently without even HW Acceleration.

I want to know what about the pgsub and the external subtitles. If subtitles are really needed, how can I avoid using pgsub to avoid the video playback lagging?

Why can't the movie be transcoded at all when I changed the HW Acceleration setting to "OpenMax H.264"?

When I use the movie of The Lion King2160p as another example just now,  the lagging exists again with only the video quality was changed from 4K-120Mbps to 1280-4Mbps.

The two of the FFmpeg logs about Doraemon.Nobitas.of.the.Moon.Exploration.2019.1080p.BluRay.DTS.4Audio.x264-HDS-Obfuscated and The Lion King2160p are put below:

Thank you very much again!

ffmpeg-transcode-f5898f6c-3b73-4620-8e06-7fffab36418d_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-fd191bf4-54c6-43df-b0a2-b112bfec8f31_1.txt

Edited by jzguoyan

Happy2Play

PGSUB are graphical subtilities that require power to be burned into the video, where srt subs are text that can be overlayed.  PGSubs bring down real machines also as there are dozens of topics.

Some of it will be expecting more then what the PI is capable of

Hardware encoding is happening, just really slow (fps=7.3)

02:46:49.489 Stream mapping:
02:46:49.489   Stream #0:0 (hevc) -> scale (graph 0)
02:46:49.489   scale (graph 0) -> Stream #0:0 (h264_v4l2m2m)
02:46:49.489   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (truehd (native) -> mp3 (libmp3lame))

Now software encoding is even slower (fps=5.5)

19:41:23.832 Stream mapping:
19:41:23.832   Stream #0:0 (h264) -> overlay:main (graph 0)
19:41:23.832   Stream #0:5 (pgssub) -> scale (graph 0)
19:41:23.832   overlay (graph 0) -> Stream #0:0 (libx264)
19:41:23.832   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> mp3 (libmp3lame))

Happy2Play

I honest can not say as I do not know what jellyfin is doing differently.

But they really don't talk about any subtitles either, I see one and they are text.  So from a video audio standpoint does your ffmpeg log look like?

Edited by Happy2Play

Their example is a different video, not burning in subtitles. It is completely different.

Try turning off the subtitles before playback and see how that compares.

jzguoyan
14 hours ago, Luke said:

Their example is a different video, not burning in subtitles. It is completely different.

Try turning off the subtitles before playback and see how that compares.

After turning off the subtitles, the playback about Doraemon.Nobitas.of.the.Moon.Exploration.2019.1080p.BluRay.DTS.4Audio.x264-HDS-Obfuscated could be transcoded fluently  with only one device but one device couldn't be transcoded fluently if I used two devices at the same time, and the playback about  The Lion King2160p couldn't be transcoded no matter any setting.

I want to know what about the pgsub and the external subtitles. If subtitles are really needed, how can I avoid using pgsub to avoid the video playback lagging? As figured below, all the subtitles are PGSSUB, I can't find any other subtitle which is text. What can I do to make emby to load subtitles which is text?

Why can't the movie be transcoded at all when I changed the HW Acceleration setting to "OpenMax H.264"? What about the difference between OpenMax and V4L2? Which one is necessary?

Thank all of you very much!

image.thumb.png.61bf255c3f56a494418578a3e6818ce6.png

Edited by jzguoyan

Have you checked out our subtitle download features? It can help you acquire text based subtitles which are much more efficient than pgs.

Regarding the two gpu options, @softworkz can help explain that. Thanks.

jzguoyan
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Have you checked out our subtitle download features? It can help you acquire text based subtitles which are much more efficient than pgs.

Thank you very much!

jzguoyan
On 25/08/2020 at 21:32, Luke said:

Hello, Luke!

Where are @softworkz.

Why can't the movie be transcoded at all when I changed the HW Acceleration setting to "OpenMax H.264"? What about the difference between OpenMax and V4L2? Which one is necessary?

Please help me. Thank all of you very much!

Edited by jzguoyan

On 8/27/2020 at 10:49 AM, jzguoyan said:

Where are @softworkz.

@jzguoyan - I'm afraid, I'm not an expert for the RPI. All I know is that these two hardware acceleration interfaces are basically available on the RPI, but I can't say on what it might depend which one is working (or both).

That being said - one thing I can say for sure: The RPI doesn't have two different h264 hardware encoders - so it's just two ways to access the same thing.

Everything else has been said already: RPI is neither suitable for subtitle burn-in nor for transcoding UHD videos. Transcoding down a 1080 video for a single client should run fine, but that's probably all that can be expected.

jzguoyan
10 hours ago, softworkz said:

@jzguoyan - I'm afraid, I'm not an expert for the RPI. All I know is that these two hardware acceleration interfaces are basically available on the RPI, but I can't say on what it might depend which one is working (or both).

That being said - one thing I can say for sure: The RPI doesn't have two different h264 hardware encoders - so it's just two ways to access the same thing.

Everything else has been said already: RPI is neither suitable for subtitle burn-in nor for transcoding UHD videos. Transcoding down a 1080 video for a single client should run fine, but that's probably all that can be expected.

@softworkz - Okay, I got it. Thank you so much for your answer.