CoverArt 720p Width Determination

GothsterC

GothsterC

I use Coverart to display whether a movie is HD or SD.

I have many 720p movies that might have been 4:3 originally.  After the margins have been trimmed, the resulting 720p file has a width less than 1200.  That appears to be the cut-off where CoverArt decides whether you have an HD or SD movie even though Emby labels it 720p.

Many movies end up with a width in the 960-1199 range that are clearly 720p (HD).  A 4:3 720p movie will have a width of 960.  On the movie's page, Emby displays  Video: 720p H264, but Coverart still uses the SD treatment.

Is there some way we can set that or have it changed?  It would be great if 960 were the cut-off instead of 1200.

Or does anyone have a workaround for this very annoying Coverart issue?

Thanks

ebr, I think he's talking about the top row of the cover art where it will say SD/HD or DVD/Bluray/4K depending on choice.

So if I understand this correctly he's saying that the coverart plugin is calculating HD differently then it shows in the metadata.

Is this correct @GothsterC ?

GothsterC

Yes, that is correct.  I'm talking about the treatment, the bar at the top that shows a black box with SD or a blue box with HD.

The screen with the movie descriptions says it is 720p H264.  However the cover treatment shows SD due to the column width being less than 1200, but the number of rows is still 720 or a number close to that.

GothsterC

Thanks for the response.  I've attached the screenshot.

You can see that the Video says 720p H264 and the CoverArt shows SD.

The actual resolution of this example is 1194 x 720.

The cut-off appears to be 1200 so if it were 6 pixels wider, the CoverArt would show HD.

I would like it to show HD, not SD.

Thanks.

tempsnip.png

GothsterC

Thanks for the update.

I see that some of the coverart now shows HD, but it appears to be sporadic.  Most still show as SD including my example above.  I cannot tell what the width cutoff is, but it doesn't appear to go down to 960 which would be the width of a 4:3 720p movie (actually I have one that is 944x720).

For instance I have one movie that has dimensions of 1190x720 and it still shows up as SD, while I have another at 1152x720 and it shows up as HD.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

GothsterC

I found that by replacing the poster image, I could force an update.  So I was able to update all coverarts with widths greater than 1000 or so.

BTW, would you consider making the same change for the 4:3 720p movies so the width could be as narrow as 960 (or even better 944) as long as the height is at least 700?

Thanks again for the update.  This was a big improvement.

Edited by GothsterC

Hi.  Can you try this version and see if it works like you expect?

You will have to fully refresh items for the changes to take place.

GothsterC

Thanks for the update.

Yes, I am getting mostly what I expect, but there is an issue on all of the covers.  There are two rows of descriptions at the top.  So if you have something that is wide, you will see two rows with HD in it.  If it's narrow you see one row with HD and the other with SD, please see below with this 960 x 720 movie:

brideblood.JPG

Edited by GothsterC

That looks like the image is actually processed twice.  Can you confirm the original image is still just the poster?

GothsterC

Yes, the poster is the original image.  I checked out the original poster.jpg file and I also downloaded it again and still get the double row on all cover arts.

Even TV Series or Trailer has double rows.

I dropped in the DLL in the zip above and don't see any of the doubled up icons with both an SD and HD banner.

I've tried refresh/replace.  I've created a brand new library as well on my test machine and can't reproduce this.

GothsterC

I figured it out.  My fault.  The issue was that I kept the other CoverArt.dll in the folder but I renamed it.  I guess renaming it wasn't enough so the old and the new were being applied.

Sorry for the mistake.

BTW, the latest DLL works ideally.  Very happy with your response.

Thanks.

• Like 1

GothsterC

Sorry to bring this up again, but I found a new issue.

I noticed that those with PAL dimensions of 720 x 576 (576p) were also being labeled as HD by Coverart when those are obviously DVDs.  Is it possible to limit the HD so that PAL DVDs aren't classified as HD?

Maybe a good lower limit for width for HD (720p, 1080i, 1080p) could be 900 or even 800?

Thanks.

Edited by GothsterC
Add suggestion for lower limit

Coverart should probably use the same code or formula as the server to classify these types so there is not a discrepancy. 

But generally speaking standard definition starts ends at 480 (NTSC) and 576 (PAL); 720 is semi-HD; 1080 is full-HD; everything above this is considered Ultra-HD.  Problem for devs is that things aren't always clean cut looking at only resolution due to cropping and other image editing tricks people use.

• Like 1

GothsterC

Thanks.  I installed the new version and went through and refreshed over 100 covers.

I found only one issue.  Emby shows the screen with the film identified as a 576p.  Coverart shows it as HD.  The actual resolution is 720 * 592.