HDR not working on brand new Galaxy Tab S7+

Ribesg

Hello! I just received my S7+ and immediately installed Emby on it.

I tried to play a 4K HDR movie to test and colors are washed out. The same movie in 1080p (non-HDR) have correct colors.

Is it a matter of adding this new device to some kind of list of supported devices (like Netflix does iirc) in the Emby app or in an underlying library, or is it a bigger issue?

Thanks

PS: playing the downloaded 4K HDR movie in VLC for Android shows the correct colors.

So I just tried the beta version and I felt like it was different, I was trying with Wonder Woman.

But I switched to a different movie I have in both 1080p SDR and 4K HDR: Coco, which has very vibrant colors.

The HDR version definitely looks very washed out compared to the SDR one... but even in VLC! Maybe my file is bad for this one? I'm not sure

Note that just by going to the HDR Channel on Youtube I can easily confirm that the S7+ does support HDR (and it does look stunning)

Edit: I think I just need to find a way to have a "HDR test video" on my Emby instance itself to see.

Edited by Ribesg

2 hours ago, Ribesg said:

Note that just by going to the HDR Channel on Youtube I can easily confirm that the S7+ does support HDR (and it does look stunning)

Edit: I think I just need to find a way to have a "HDR test video" on my Emby instance itself to see.

You could download the video from Youtube and use that as sample. 😉

vdatanet

Are you sure it doesn't transcode? Washed colors is a symptom of transcoding. Look the server dashboard while playing the video.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did you ever resolve your problem?

Experiencing bad color depth on a new S7+, using local HDR files.
HDR files look like dimmed SDR files!
Have tried several videos, and several different video players all with the same results.
Tablet comes with Vivid color setting ON (but have tried Normal too.) 
Have tried turning off Adaptive Brightness and making Motion Smoothness Standard (60Hz refresh).
Have also tried turning ON Video Enhancer under advanced features.
Rebooting the tablet often, in case that is required for any of these adjustments...
Little effect! 

Results are compared with the same files and Apps on a Tab S4 where the video looks great!!

4 minutes ago, kinput said:

Have tried several videos, and several different video players all with the same results.
Have tried turning off Adaptive Brightness and making Motion Smoothness Standard (60Hz refresh).
Rebooting the tablet often, in case that is required for any of these adjustments...
Little effect! 

Results are compared with the same files and Apps on a Tab S4 where the video looks great!!

Hi there, what version of the app are you running?

I think current production...
Since it is player independent I think the problem is with the Tab S7+ settings or OS software, not any particular app...

Yeah check with like VLC before. If it works in VLC and not in Emby, then it's an Emby problem, but in your case it doesn't seem like it is.

I think that it works correctly currently using the beta, but downloads are broken on it, you can't have it all...

VLC is my backup player, washed-out on that, MXPlayer, and a couple of other players available on the tablet...

Not sure I understand what you mean by "works correctly currently using the beta, but downloads are broken on it"
could you elaborate?

Thank you

Using the beta of the Emby app for Android. Reading already downloaded HDR files or direct playing remote HDR files works as intended, but in the current beta version of the Emby app for Android, downloads themselves don't work so I have to stream everything and can't watch things offline.

If you don't have HDR working in VLC, then your problem has nothing to do with Emby. It just worked for me. Did you update the tablet's OS? Maybe there are things to enable in the tablet's settings, I don't know.

Edited by Ribesg

Updated the OS, adjusted a handful of settings - rebooting often... No luck...

Thought you were running into the same problem...

Thank you for the feedback

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Ribesg said:

I have no problem reading HDR content either by downloading it first or with direct play.

Right so it's normal that if your server is transcoding then the result will not be HDR. But stay tuned in upcoming updates as we'll have tone mapping to SDR and it will look great. thanks.

• 5 months later...
Super1
On 11/3/2020 at 1:51 AM, kinput said:

Little effect! 

I think video enhancer is HDR or in tab s7+ case HDR+ (https://hisense.com.au/blog/what-is-hdr-plus/). 

And i figured out that if you play videos that are too much for your device to handle like 4k hdr you get dimmed picture. If you have mx player you have an option to use hw, hw+ or sw which are hardware accelerated or software accelerated. There is a similar option in vlc settings: hardware acceleration. 

If you use hardware acceleration and your device cant handle zhe video you will get dimmed picture. 

If you use software acceleration (or in vlc disable hardware acc.) You will get original picture but if your device cant handle it the video will stutter. 

Now i would like this feature in the exo player of emby. Coz on my samsung s9 i get dimmed picture when watching 1080 hdr videos. And in samsung video enhancer options (screen shot) emby app is not avaliable. 

Screenshot_20210612-085429_Settings.jpg