Cleaning out basement

arche

arche

Just giving a heads up to anyone interested. In the coming days I will be cleaning out my basement and I have some old dell rack server equipment I'll be giving away for free (user must pay for shipping). If anyone is interested, pm me and I'll pm you first before posting publicly. Example of the little things I'm getting rid of. Thanks

20200820_113304.jpg

Sorry, some things might be a little dusty.

Edited by arche

pwhodges

That takes me back...  Before I retired I ran a rack of Dell servers for over ten years:

Cables.JPG.1cc21d946ed7a45f3a6fab8c5392e050.JPG

Paul

arche
5 hours ago, pwhodges said:

That takes me back...  Before I retired I ran a rack of Dell servers for over ten years:

Paul

I wish I still had photos of my old setup. Ironically, I still have one 1U rack server in it's original box. But my wife has been patient enough with me and my computer things (she calls it junk, I almost filed for divorce). I'm having a hard enough time getting rid of old 56k modems, ok, I have a problem...

• Like 1

I still have a 110 baud, couple 300s, some 1200 and 2400s, dozen or so 9600, 19200s and about 256 56K/ISDN modems (used to run a large BBS).  I have an issue getting rid of some old things also.

• Like 1

arche

lol, as I'm going through things, I just found some 5 1/4 floppies and some new in packaging AOL 200 hours free floppies. Damn I need help.

• Like 1

I don't have any of those anymore, nor zip drives, not that I know of anyway.  I did come across an AOL coaster recently however. :)

clarkss123
1 hour ago, cayars said:

I still have a 110 baud, couple 300s, some 1200 and 2400s, dozen or so 9600, 19200s and about 256 56K/ISDN modems (used to run a large BBS).  I have an issue getting rid of some old things also.

Haha, you need some serious help.  I just picked up a 1936 RCA radio today, model 8K1, and it still works great.

It's not really that I'm hording them but more about being lazy every time I come across them I'm too lazy to load them up for the trash can. :)

pwhodges

In modems I'm down to one Courier v.Everything.  Not an original, one of the older models that was able to have its firmware upgraded to the final top version - they were fantastic in their upgradability.  It was one of a block from a BBS that my employers in the 90s ran a BBS through (the BBS software was an OS/2 application, thoug I don't recall its name).I suppose I last used about five years ago for exchanging a couple of faxes.  I've not kept any other hardware of that age, but I've got a single 8" floppy that was given me inscribed as a leaving card from a job in the 80s.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

Ironically I couldn't use s modem if I wanted in the lat 5 years at least.  I had phone over IP for quite a while but even ditched that as a cell phone is all I need. 90%+ of my phone calls is someone trying to send sell me an alarm system, solar panels, give me a "credit" on my utility bills (switch to different provider) or that my SSI # has bean tampered with or violated.

I had to fax something recently as they couldn't except an email.  Boy was that a choir!

pwhodges

When I retired four years ago, my office was still using faxes.  We ran clinical trials, and fax was still the most secure way to transmit sensitive patient information.

Paul