Possible to mass-lock folder's metadata categories (e.g., music "genre")

gochiefs88842

gochiefs88842

Hello,

After previously working through some issues with Genre Cleaner re: movie genres, I've since moved onto polishing up my music library.  For whatever reason, a handful (maybe 40-50) songs/albums showed up under a genre category which did not appear on the actual file's "details" genre properties within Windows Explorer.  Some of these categories remained even after running Genre Cleaner. Nevertheless, I've gone through the process of manually editing the individual albums/files to achieve the desired results.  This effort has generated a broader question for MBS:

How do I lock a specific metadata category within an entire folder (music album, music genre, entire music folder, etc) to prevent future alterations via library refresh/internet downloaders for metadata? For example, as described in the first paragraph, I would like to "lock" the music genre category for all of my existing music, particularly before I attempt to download any of the additional missing metadata (ex: artist images).  I've spent over a decade trying to classify my music into genres for playlist listening purposes and I'd hate to have all of that work washed away with one simple refresh of the music library.  

From what I can tell, it appears that locking a folder for a specific metadata category does not appear to lock the same metadata category for that folder's subfolders.  For instance, if I have a music album folder with 10 songs within it, toggling the album's "genre" category to lock will NOT then result in the album's individual songs being locked for "genre."  This premise is similar for TV shows and their seasons, or the seasons and individual episodes, and so on and so forth.  

Sorry for the long explanation, I just wanted to make sure I'm not entirely missing the boat here in case there is such a setting that I've overlooked.  If not, I think this would be a huge request for a "wish list."  Please advise.

Thanks!  

gochiefs88842

Bump.  To simplify/rephrase the question: If I have a folder (e.g., "Music"), is it possible to lock that folder and all of its subfolders for a specific metadata category (e.g., "genre") without having to individually lock each and every subfolder?

Please help!

Koleckai Silvestri

Theoretically if you lock the folder, all of its contents are locked as well. You can do this by going to the folder, clicking edit and scrolling down to Metadata.

gochiefs88842

Perfect, that's what I needed to know!  When I couldn't find the setting anywhere, I was hesitant to test it out and lose my music "genre" tags, they took me years to categorize for genre playlists.  I guess I'll ask the boilerplate question: Any guess on an ETA, Luke?

Thanks!

Edited by gochiefs88842

gochiefs88842

Understood, and thanks for the reply.  The weird thing is that after marking a folder's specific metadata field category as locked (off), the subfolders still are marked as unlocked (on) for the identical metadata field category.  I'm not sure if this is a UI issue or if the user is supposed to remember on their own how each parent folder was marked. Going back to the long-winded (my apologies) initial question, let's take an example:

Let's pretend that I have an artist, The Arcade Fire, and that artist has 4 albums as subfolders.  Let's also assume that some of the songs within those subfolders have different "Genres" (maybe one is tagged as "Alternative" and another as "Folk" or whatever).  If I mark The Arcade Fire-->edit metadata-->metadata settings-->field "genre" marked as "off," can I then assume that any refresh of The Arcade Fire folder will prevent "genre" from being changed (even if other metadata fields may be updated/altered as expected)?     

Edited by gochiefs88842

gochiefs88842

@Happy2Play: That seems to be a thread concerning genre icons for TV shows.  This is a different issue re: bulk-editing/bulk-locking metadata field categories in a folder (and thus effecting the subfolders and respective subfiles) 

I don't think so (but could be wrong).  I don't believe we inherit lock settings for individual fields because you might want to lock something at one level but not at another.  Luke can clarify if I'm incorrect.

• 3 months later...
StealthDefender

@Happy2Play: That seems to be a thread concerning genre icons for TV shows.  This is a different issue re: bulk-editing/bulk-locking metadata field categories in a folder (and thus effecting the subfolders and respective subfiles) 

Any news on this? Would be great to tick off some metadata settings recursively!

Greetz Stealth

• 6 years later...
PowerXDrive
On 7/21/2014 at 8:09 PM, Luke said:

that's correct. i do plan to add bulk editing so that you can do that

this thread is from 2014 and today we still dont have that feature, could you please help us??? thanks by the way

• 4 weeks later...
letterman

It works fine, locking folders.

Is there also a possibility to bulk lock people? I have lot's of individual pictures from people which never should be changed.

3 minutes ago, letterman said:

It works fine, locking folders.

Is there also a possibility to bulk lock people? I have lot's of individual pictures from people which never should be changed.

The server will not change your people images. There is no need to lock that.