Casting from android unable to jump in time

Karl Blixt

Karl Blixt

Hello, I have a OP8Pro and trying to cast to a Shield android tv. all with the latest updates.

Now, everything works perfectly well.

Except for when I try to skip either forward or backwards in time the playback breaks down and the movie starts over from the beginning and turns black and silent until the movie have caught up to the point I tried to skip to. this effect both the skip/rewind buttons as well as free search.

this issue also appear when trying to resume a movie. the movie starts from the beginning and remain black and silent until the movie have caught up with where i wanted to resume.

I haven't tested it for my entire library but I haven't found a movie that don't have this issue.

Karl Blixt

hi Luke, sorry for the delay.

I've had a session where I've replicated the issue for a few minutes. I rebooted the server just before the session so it would be easy to locate.

first I began with casting my emby app on my phone to my shield tv. I then did a few things with the following results:

- 1: tried to resumed a tv-show for a few seconds: black screen, time passing as if it was playing from beginning but nothing.

- 2: move to a point in time fairly early on in the show: frozen screen of where i skipped to and time starting from 0:00 and counting on as if it were playing. once the time caught up with where I skipped to it resumed playing as expected.

- 3: move to a point further into the show and then end the stream: as step 1.

then I tried without the casting on the phone directly and it worked flawlessly, and tried the same with casting on and same symptoms as before.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-0fe0c93c-dee1-4da9-b979-3bd7908ef864_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-a7fb56d5-c2b7-4a89-be09-38081c7ef561_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-f187810f-1523-447f-ae9d-96760bb85dab_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-8ba309c5-6621-43fa-b763-9bf146c1f26e_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-be7a1ba6-9898-48b4-a9f2-36cf8accd35c_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e816c445-b188-4b78-a57f-336bf78e60e7_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-feee72e0-6756-4b9b-9dbc-630248249b74_1.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Karl Blixt said:

This issue is now back I'm afraid. 

Just tested and it seems to be working ok from here:

Thanks.

Karl Blixt

Ok, so I have now replicated the issue. 

1: connect to shield with OP8Pro phone. 

2: start playing a movie

3: skip ahead (or back) in the movie using the time line dot (scrubbing) or the quick skip button in either direction. 

Now after that I expect the movie to continue playing the movie from that point but what happens is strange:

The video freezes and only show a still image from the moment that I tried to skip to, the audio continues as if it plays from there but the time indicator starts from the beginning of the movie. 

Now, if the time catches up normaly by playing through the movie up until the freeze frame. The video continues as if nothing happened from that point onward, but the audio is still playing as if I skipped ahead. So they are incredibly out of sync.

I'll provide logs.

I have rotated the logs before replicating the issue. 

embyserver (1).txt ffmpeg-transcode-337c21eb-cc4a-4a39-8b99-d63022cb69c4_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-4798380c-8d30-4432-ab30-f5711ef4b526_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-66e8b47c-4693-4ad6-8a52-8800058174fc_1.txt

Hi, I notice you customized some server transcoding settings:

>>>>>  Non-Default Encoder Parameters
Warning EncoderParametersH264LibX.ConstantRateFactor: Original: 23 Actual: 15
Warning EncoderParametersH264LibX.Preset: Original: veryfast Actual: slower

Can you try setting those back to default and see if it helps? Thanks.

Karl Blixt

I recently got a chromecast and casting to it has the same issue. So you want some logs of that? 

Do you need anything else for troubleshooting? 

2 hours ago, Karl Blixt said:

I recently got a chromecast and casting to it has the same issue. So you want some logs of that? 

Do you need anything else for troubleshooting? 

Yes please, thanks.

Karl Blixt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Karl Blixt

Yes, I'm afraid so.

And I think I've fairly thoroughly explained the issue. If you have any specific questions I'll gladly answer them for you. I'll do any troubleshooting you want me to perform. 

Edited by Karl Blixt

• 2 weeks later...
Karl Blixt

Nvm, I just tested it out before leaving just now. 

Sorry, same issue I'm afraid. 

Here is the log from the session. BTW, Can you see the issue I'm having in the log? 

ffmpeg-remux-5375f53c-70dc-4381-98d3-7900d09f8437_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-73197ca4-9a0e-436b-9087-d62521d3051d_1.txt embyserver (4).txt ffmpeg-remux-5b830888-d064-464b-bddf-a2a6b9a916c7_1.txt

Edited by Karl Blixt