Maximum number of tuners factoring hard drive write speed

davedick

davedick

I'm trying to figure out what is the most number of tuners that could be used at the same time, factoring how fast the standard HDD can keep up with the writes.

For example, I currently have 15 tuners configured with Emby DVR.  While I haven't seen too many issues (every once in a while, a recording will show "green" patches at a few different spots of the recording) , I'm wondering if I'm right at the edge.  I'm also thinking of going to 12, so I can return one of the cable cards, but haven't made that decision yet.

Thanks

I've had around 23 channels in use that I know of.

This was done using Qty 3 HDHomeRun Prime units each with 3 tuners, 2 HDHomeRun Quatro's each with 4 tuners.  Setting the Quatro's up in Next PVR allows you to watch/record more than 4 channels if there are multiple channels per mux you want.  So I can pull ideally 9 channels off one Quatro in my market. I also had a couple of IPTV providers as well.

This wasn't done on purpose as a test but was a Sunday during football/NFL season and I just got "lucky". I've never tried to find a max.

My setup has 1 TB SSD for Window server use and it's temp files.  I have a 1 TB SSD used to record to and I've got a smaller 256 GB "throw away" SSD I used for temp use for transcoding, converting and things like that.  I don't worry about hammering this SSD as it's a sub $50 replacement or so when needed.

The pixelation or "green flashes" you mention are usually caused by IO issues which the SSDs help tremendously with. So based on the fact you're getting this on occasion, I'd think you're close to the edge. A cheap "throw away" SSD should fix that right up.

Keep in mind in DVR settings you can set a master recording directory or can set separate movie and TV show recording areas which I do also to different drives (SSD for me).  I typically cut commercial and convert to H.265 for longer term storage and off the SSD they go.

• Like 2