Scan for and report corrupted video file

Hitec

While sitting down enjoying a movie on Emby, about 2/3 of the way through, playback stopped.  While troubleshooting I found the video stopped at the same place when playing directly on VLC.  Would it be possible to have Emby or a plugin schedule a scan to check for and report corrupted video files? 

That would be intense as basically every byte of every video/audio you have would need to be read.  That's a lot of wear and tear, not to mention time need to do this assuming you can eliminate false "positives".

What might work out better is an admin option to allow reporting bad media that could be added to the 3 dot menu.  It could have default choices to make it easy to use from any UI.  An entry could get written to the Alert log so the admin would see it and could take corrective action. Could have option to cover anything from "Ends prematurely" to "doesn't play" to "low quality". Admin might need to "train" certain users or restrict them from access to the feature if they are reporting low quality when transcoding but I'd use this myself if/when I come across a bad movie or episode and don't want to write it down at that point in time (watching from bed).

I personally use Snapraid for things like this.  It can identify "dry rot" on drives or files.

Edited by cayars